Main Menu

Redskins' Trademark Revoked!!!

Started by Roly Poly Oly-Garch, June 18, 2014, 03:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Raz Tech on June 18, 2014, 07:36:24 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 18, 2014, 07:31:21 PM
Quote from: Raz Tech on June 18, 2014, 07:25:56 PM
I'm surrounded by redskins fans right now.  Productivity has almost entirely been replaced by bitching.  And they still won't turn down the fucking smooth jazz.

I like how not being able to maintain franchise of a brazenly racist team name and mascot is somehow enough of a real problem for them to have grit in their panties over it.

The bitching comes in peaks and valleys whenever the subject becomes brought up by the media again.

The worst part is that the way they see it, the name is acceptable because it's part of their "football tradition".

Right, because to these people, "Because this is the way we've always done it" is a perfectly acceptable argument.  :horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Hey Raz, send this to your squabbling coworkers. It's an article from December explaining the etymology of the word "redskin" with sources!

It's also interesting to see how it may not have started as a pejorative, but certainly is now. I love etymology, it's always so fascinating.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2013/12/18/redskins_the_debate_over_the_washington_football_team_s_name_incorrectly.html

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I'm surrounded by redskins fans right now.  Productivity has almost entirely been replaced by bitching.  And they still won't turn down the fucking smooth jazz.

I like how not being able to maintain franchise of a brazenly racist team name and mascot is somehow enough of a real problem for them to have grit in their panties over it.

The best part about this approach is that there's absolutely no legitimate "OMG MY RIGHTZ!!!" argument to be made. They can hold on to the name if they want...they just lose trademark protections. Once If this clears appeals, the Redskins can carry on with their stubbornly racist name if they want, it's just that you and I can put that name and logo on anything we want and sell it without penalty.

And any "THEY TOOKED HIS PROPERTIEZ!!!!" is bunk, too, since this decision doesn't take anything...it just stops giving it. I've already had occasion to draw the parallel to "entitlement programs" in FB arguments on the topic.

"Oh, really? So you think that there shouldn't be standards for withholding government benefits from people who abuse them?"

Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 18, 2014, 08:03:07 PM

The best part about this approach is that there's absolutely no legitimate "OMG MY RIGHTZ!!!" argument to be made. They can hold on to the name if they want...they just lose trademark protections. Once If this clears appeals, the Redskins can carry on with their stubbornly racist name if they want, it's just that you and I can put that name and logo on anything we want and sell it without penalty.

And any "THEY TOOKED HIS PROPERTIEZ!!!!" is bunk, too, since this decision doesn't take anything...it just stops giving it. I've already had occasion to draw the parallel to "entitlement programs" in FB arguments on the topic.

"Oh, really? So you think that there shouldn't be standards for withholding government benefits from people who abuse them?"

:lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on June 18, 2014, 07:48:36 PM
Hey Raz, send this to your squabbling coworkers. It's an article from December explaining the etymology of the word "redskin" with sources!

It's also interesting to see how it may not have started as a pejorative, but certainly is now. I love etymology, it's always so fascinating.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2013/12/18/redskins_the_debate_over_the_washington_football_team_s_name_incorrectly.html

The funny thing is, I don't consider it a pejorative, I simply think that naming a sports team after a race and having as a mascot an exaggerated caricature of that race is, well, racist as hell.

It would be racist regardless of which race the team was named after. It just fucking is. What if they were called the Whiteys, and they had a caricature of a white man for their mascot? THAT'S FUCKING RACIST.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Suu

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 18, 2014, 08:19:43 PM

Sorry, I just laughed my fucking face off at this so hard I snarked water through my nose.  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Hah. I was just about to link to that. They were big news for a week back home. A direct response to the "Eaton High School Fighting Reds". Weld County, Colorado. A.K.A. Kansas.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on June 18, 2014, 08:20:41 PM

Sorry, I just laughed my fucking face off at this so hard I snarked water through my nose.  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

:lulz: I wasn't expecting to find it when I image searched. It's perfect, though.

Suu

Having a discussion on FB (ugh) about the Fightin' Irish versus the Orangemen. Same idea.

The NCAA forced Syracuse to drop it to just "The Orange" which is still kind of the same thing, yet nobody seems to bat an eye at Notre Dame. Really? 

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Aucoq

"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Suu on June 18, 2014, 08:27:49 PM
Having a discussion on FB (ugh) about the Fightin' Irish versus the Orangemen. Same idea.

The NCAA forced Syracuse to drop it to just "The Orange" which is still kind of the same thing, yet nobody seems to bat an eye at Notre Dame. Really?

It's hard to lean on a traditionally Irish Catholic university that want's to call itself the "Fighting Irish". Strange choice, imo, but kind of a different deal than just completely appropriating the imagery of another culture entirely. One is kind of just....really??? The other is getting more into the minstrelsy area.

And I totally had to google orangemen to get the reference there at all. Apparently the NCAA just made them drop the 'men' to get in line with the spirit of Title IX.