News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

My Girl Friday

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 25, 2014, 02:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

The nested virtual worlds was an exceptional concept and the tale you told was brilliant. I very much liked the way you ended it. What else do a bunch of sims really have to do once they know what they are? Also the idea of a virtual god being dressed down by his sim wife is gonna keep me smiling for a long while.

Roger I can only hope, one day, to be able to tell a written story this well.
Bravo!

Also bump.
Also  :mittens:
Also one burning green question: where was Friday interfacing from and who was she really? I'm comfortable never knowing, but it IS gonna haunt me some.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on September 24, 2014, 03:17:00 AM
The nested virtual worlds was an exceptional concept and the tale you told was brilliant. I very much liked the way you ended it. What else do a bunch of sims really have to do once they know what they are? Also the idea of a virtual god being dressed down by his sim wife is gonna keep me smiling for a long while.

Bravo!

Also bump.
Also one burning green question: where was Friday interfacing from and who was she really? I'm comfortable never knowing, but it IS gonna haunt me some.

She was the "God's" daughter, presumably interfacing in from the real corporation in the real world.

I don't know that I'm done with this world yet.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 24, 2014, 03:29:23 AM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on September 24, 2014, 03:17:00 AM

Bravo!

Also bump.

She was the "God's" daughter, presumably interfacing in from the real corporation in the real world.

I don't know that I'm done with this world yet.
That makes sense. Thanks!
There's always more story if you want it. I would not mind.

Got several bits in my head about that 'alien God' thing. A protagonist. Motivation. Other elements. But not a whole story and precious little time lately because work and making hay while the sun shines. I will make the time as I can and try the writing of it. I'm not saying that it is conditional, but really would like to see more of this story here as you get time.
I've found that side scenes and such have a way of running into plot.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

So, I'm having a fucking ton of trouble getting Little Orange into smashwords, as the formatting has had to be done from scratch.  Keelin and I are working on it at least an hour a day, and we're only 50 chapters in.

I am going to take a short break from that to put this story in, and maybe Hell in a Dry Place, as they are much shorter stories and I will be able to see what they'll look like, to see if I'm doing anything horribly wrong.  This should not cause a significant delay in LOBB, perhaps 3-4 days, and might just keep me from throwing my hands up in frustration.  Seriously, this is a never-ending nightmare.  I spend 5 hours a day coding PLC shit to keep the rent paid, and then 1-2 hours of WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MY FORMATTING NOW GOD I FUCKING HATE SMASHWORDS AND EVERY HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET.

This story and Hell in a Dry place will be $0.99 on Kindle, Nook, or any laptop/tablet emulator.

LOBB will be $3.99, but any proceeds will be split up more or less as I originally intended.  1/3rd to Little Orange, care of Nigel (ie, help Nigel pay the bills so Little Orange doesn't have to go live in The Underground, 1/3rd to Faust for keeping PD up, and 1/3rd split evenly between Bijoujou for the cover art and Keelin for living in hell with me through all of this.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

(Incidentally, this is why I haven't been writing much.  Editing your own work is hell itself.)
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

Thanks for the update, looking forward to it.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Can we pay more for it if we choose to do so?

Faust

When they have a page give me a shout and I'll do a post to the Blog and the front page.

Also, I don't need a cut, send it on to Little Orange as well.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on July 10, 2015, 02:05:21 PM
When they have a page give me a shout and I'll do a post to the Blog and the front page.

Also, I don't need a cut, send it on to Little Orange as well.

Done and done.

I'll post the link to the stories as they are finished.  I hope to have MGF available this coming Wednesday.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 10, 2015, 01:00:37 PM
Can we pay more for it if we choose to do so?

Not on Smashwords.  It's a straight tag.

HOWEVER, once this is done, it will ALSO be formatted for Lulu, and we can print to order.  Which I may have to do one or two copies of anyway.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Clearly I have missed many things indeed. I'll not spam things up here, but clearly I'm out of the loop. This still stands as a heckuva tale and I hope you see a fair amount of fruit from it.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 11, 2014, 05:43:26 PM

Yeah, yanno, you dick around with a stable environment, it suddenly isn't so stable.

Words to live by.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 27, 2020, 07:11:28 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 11, 2014, 05:43:26 PM

Yeah, yanno, you dick around with a stable environment, it suddenly isn't so stable.

Words to live by.
Words to die by too.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl