News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Introduction thread / "What does discordia mean to you?"

Started by zackli, July 18, 2014, 03:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackli

Obviously there is the objective definition that none of us have access to, and then there is the subjective definition(s) that are interpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted ad infinitum until one of them got to your wonderful little sensing organ (not that one, the OTHER sensing organ. No, I didn't mean it was small; stop being so insecure.).

I'm asking for lots of reasons, but I will boil it down to five:
1. Seemed like a good first thread
2. I just read the book last night (yea, all by myself)
3. I HAD to know.
4. Another awesome reason
5. My mommy made me do it

I'm also curious how all of you stumbled upon it. I'll need specific times, dates and places unless you were stoned or drunk. In that case, I'll just settle for whatever days, times and places you feel like saying. Circumstances would be nice too, though not too much detail because no one wants to hear your life story unless you say they do.
It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas or feelings proves the validity of those feelings. Nothing is further from the truth.... The fact that millions of people share the same vices does not make those vices virtues, the fact that they share so many errors does not make the errors truths, and the fact that millions of people share the same form of mental pathology does not make these people sane." - Erich Fromm

LMNO

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

hooplala

I thought it was fiction, then it turned out to be fact.  Then, it turned out to be fiction again.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Telarus

Quote from: zackli on July 18, 2014, 03:21:33 AM
Obviously there is the objective definition that none of us have access to, and then there is the subjective definition(s) that are interpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted ad infinitum until one of them got to your wonderful little sensing organ...

Definitions do not work that way. Meaning is dependent on Context (including the context of the mind interpreting the symbols).

AKA "words do not carry inherent meaning". Welcome to Discordia, where your previous sense of reality means nothing.
http://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-180927499/do-words-have-inherent-meaning
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=31943.10
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

von

>I'm also curious how all of you stumbled upon it.

When I was around 14 or so, a type of flash video called "animutations" were still popular. Because the typical format of animutations is that of seizure-inducing colours and images being flashed about on screen with random 0.01 second long interludes of text thrown in intermittenly, my friend and I would go through animutations frame by frame looking for "subliminal messages" and otherwise just trying to read the text that's too long to see in 0.01 seconds.
One particular video we dissected was Andrew Kepple's (TmsT) "French Erotic Film or Colin Mocrie vs. Jesus H Christ", set to the music of Ome Henk's "opblaaskrokodil".
On one frame we never noticed during full speed play, there was an image of dopefish from commander keen with the word "FNORD" printed under it. We knew TmsT was a fan of Id software games, but decided to play the 5 degrees of wikipedia with Fnord, which lead me to PD.com and reading the book.

>I'll need specific times, dates and places unless you were stoned or drunk.

Probably around 16:00 in 2003 or 2004 in april. I was not drunk or stoned.

>In that case, I'll just settle for whatever days, times and places you feel like saying.

See above

>Circumstances would be nice too, though not too much detail because no one wants to hear your life story unless you say they do.

Hope my post wasn't too life storyish then...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: zackli on July 18, 2014, 03:21:33 AM
Obviously there is the objective definition that none of us have access to, and then there is the subjective definition(s) that are interpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted and reinterpreted ad infinitum until one of them got to your wonderful little sensing organ (not that one, the OTHER sensing organ. No, I didn't mean it was small; stop being so insecure.).

I'm asking for lots of reasons, but I will boil it down to five:
1. Seemed like a good first thread
2. I just read the book last night (yea, all by myself)
3. I HAD to know.
4. Another awesome reason
5. My mommy made me do it

I'm also curious how all of you stumbled upon it. I'll need specific times, dates and places unless you were stoned or drunk. In that case, I'll just settle for whatever days, times and places you feel like saying. Circumstances would be nice too, though not too much detail because no one wants to hear your life story unless you say they do.

1994, Oakland, California. I met and made friends with Arkuat of the Pigdog Cabal via a dialup BBS, probably The Cheese Vault. He told me I was a Discordian, but didn't know it yet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

wudgar

Shameless whoring; www.zazzle.com/wudgar

trix

There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

zackli

Since this thread clearly could go into at least five different directions, possibly ten based on the responses received, it is clear that some form of structure is in order. Obviously, all attempts at order inherently lead to chaos so the structure is as follows: when you read this, post the first thing that comes to your mind excluding anything in this post before reading any of the replies afterward. They'll either all be coherent or none will make any sense. I'm guessing the latter.
It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas or feelings proves the validity of those feelings. Nothing is further from the truth.... The fact that millions of people share the same vices does not make those vices virtues, the fact that they share so many errors does not make the errors truths, and the fact that millions of people share the same form of mental pathology does not make these people sane." - Erich Fromm

hooplala

I thought it was fiction, then it turned out to be fact.  Then, it turned out to be fiction again.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain