News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

What kind of skyrim (or any rpg) character are you?

Started by Bu🤠ns, July 19, 2014, 04:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

I think i'm somewhere between a Maximum-alist and The Butterfly Annihilator.

Source

Sita

Definitely the Sentimentalist.

There's at least 4 bags of stuff in my main EQ character's bank that is purely for nostalgia.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Cain

I never saw the point in being a packrat.  The game throws so much money at you that you don't need to go all Morrowind and steal everything that's not nailed down, in every single bandit camp, to make a buck.

Reginald Ret

I usually start out as a maximalist, become a minimalist when i have some spending money and am always a foodie.

I don't see the explorer in the list, that is what i usually do. Barely any quests, mostly just wandering and finding cool things.
That does lead to a relatively poor character though.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Sita on July 19, 2014, 11:30:37 AM
Definitely the Sentimentalist.

There's at least 4 bags of stuff in my main EQ character's bank that is purely for nostalgia.

This is something I try to remember to be.  I tend to want to rush through and I have no idea why.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on July 19, 2014, 01:39:39 PM
I never saw the point in being a packrat.  The game throws so much money at you that you don't need to go all Morrowind and steal everything that's not nailed down, in every single bandit camp, to make a buck.

You know, I eventually realized that after a couple of weeks of playing.  I'm not sure where the compulsion comes from.  I suspect that it might be old habits of playing point and click adventures where if something isn't nailed down, chances are I'll most likely need it.  So the tendency is to grab everything in sight "just in case".  I'm not so much of a hoarder anymore though--especially with my blacksmithing and enchantment maxed out.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Regret on July 19, 2014, 03:48:18 PM
I usually start out as a maximalist, become a minimalist when i have some spending money and am always a foodie.

I don't see the explorer in the list, that is what i usually do. Barely any quests, mostly just wandering and finding cool things.
That does lead to a relatively poor character though.

I tend to go foodie after a couple months when I start getting that overly inflated character ego and begin to believe that I deserve the finer things in life....which, it so happens, i do.

Cain

Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 19, 2014, 04:57:24 PM

You know, I eventually realized that after a couple of weeks of playing.  I'm not sure where the compulsion comes from.  I suspect that it might be old habits of playing point and click adventures where if something isn't nailed down, chances are I'll most likely need it.  So the tendency is to grab everything in sight "just in case".  I'm not so much of a hoarder anymore though--especially with my blacksmithing and enchantment maxed out.

Playing the Requiem overhaul cured me of that compulsion.  Lower overall carry weight, plus weight affecting stealth, plus no fast travel (and expensive horses) means you have to plan each quest like an individual expedition.  Coins also have weight...so gems become truly valuable.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on July 19, 2014, 05:47:01 PM

Playing the Requiem overhaul cured me of that compulsion.  Lower overall carry weight, plus weight affecting stealth, plus no fast travel (and expensive horses) means you have to plan each quest like an individual expedition.  Coins also have weight...so gems become truly valuable.

I think that's a good idea.  Forcing you to make the right item choices for a particular quest and taking the time to plan enhances the user involvement. Also using your companion as an item box allows for choices.  I absolutely hate the idea of going on a quest and finding out at the last minute i forgot to take something important. I think I should just slow down a bit more.  I think I missed something in some of these backstories from Fallout 3, for instance.

minuspace

I like the soft approach.  It's like the mythos of life being a simulation is built into the game.  Powerful stuff.

Cain

Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 19, 2014, 07:56:44 PM

I think that's a good idea.  Forcing you to make the right item choices for a particular quest and taking the time to plan enhances the user involvement. Also using your companion as an item box allows for choices.  I absolutely hate the idea of going on a quest and finding out at the last minute i forgot to take something important. I think I should just slow down a bit more.  I think I missed something in some of these backstories from Fallout 3, for instance.

Yeah.  Requiem often fills in that stuff even where Skyrim didn't.  I mean, for example, did you ever wonder why the basement of Helgen was full of spiders, and a little bit before it there was a room with potions in?  Obviously, the Legion was planning to clear out the nest, but got interrupted by Alduin wrecking shit.  But now you'll actually find a note that explains that.

There's not as much attention to detail with Skyrim as there could be, but it is there.  Sometimes.  Though you often have to look past the levelled items lists and levelled enemies to figure it out.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on July 20, 2014, 07:03:02 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 19, 2014, 07:56:44 PM

Yeah.  Requiem often fills in that stuff even where Skyrim didn't.  I mean, for example, did you ever wonder why the basement of Helgen was full of spiders, and a little bit before it there was a room with potions in?  Obviously, the Legion was planning to clear out the nest, but got interrupted by Alduin wrecking shit.  But now you'll actually find a note that explains that.

There's not as much attention to detail with Skyrim as there could be, but it is there.  Sometimes.  Though you often have to look past the levelled items lists and levelled enemies to figure it out.

That's a good point.  I'll have to try out Requiem because that sounds like a lot of fun.

minuspace

It would seem "The Secret Vault" is also a veiled ref. to the "Grand Illusion".  Is playing the actual game any more fun than toying with those concepts?  Am I missing something?

Cain

Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 20, 2014, 07:28:16 PM
That's a good point.  I'll have to try out Requiem because that sounds like a lot of fun.

Fair warning: it's Skyrim's answer to Dark Souls.  Very immersive, but very brutal.  Unlevelled, much harder, much less forgiving.  Up to a point, anyway.  Sword and board with heavy armor and some magic can take on most things once you're level 40 or so...but, well, to put it into perspective, it is strongly recommended you not do Bleak Falls Barrow until level 10.  People have done it lower, but even then you need a LOT
of silver to survive.

Also, you run the risk of running into ebony armour clad, level 80 vampire bosses while at level 12 or so.  Just to give you an idea of what you're letting yourself in for.

Pæs

Depends on the character I'm playing. If I'm in heavy RP mode, I may be more likely to play as a sentimentalist. If I'm playing someone whose focus is getting rich, I'll use a formula based on how rich I am to determine which items I pick up. Early days, items need to be worth at least ten times their weight in resale value and that goes up as I accumulate wealth.

I'm currently playing as a soul collector who pickpockets weapons from her victims, soul traps them, kills them with their own blade and then enchants the weapon and names it after the deceased. I have a house full of iron daggers named after each and every villager in the game. That's kind of a sentimentalist.