News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

Suu's Couch-to-not having a fat ass anymore Adventures.

Started by Suu, July 19, 2014, 11:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

So once upon a time, I was really athletic. I competed in volleyball and swimming in high school, made all-state twice in volleyball, started Taekwondo when I was 10 and received my black belt when I was 18, while often competing in colored belt nationals and attended one international competition in Brazil. I detested running with every fiber of my being, mostly because my instructor used to grab me by the collar and drag me to keep up with everyone, no matter the fact that I was asthmatic. I eventually forced myself out of that, would run 2-3 miles every day on my own accord, hit up a couple 5ks each year and even completed 2 triathlons....

...Then I went to college.

During College Mark I, I was at least still able to go to my old TKD school, just not as frequent, because I was working.

...Then I moved to Rhode Island. And for whatever reason, my weight shot up. Probably because I was eating mom's cooking again. I got back into TKD up here, tore my MCL, and that was that. I gave up. And despite what people think, SCA combat in no way shape or form can compare to what I was doing. No way.

So despite diets and trying to stay "thin", I fell into disrepair. My weight ballooned in 2009, which may actually be because of my thyroid come to find out, but I chalked it up to stress, and did what I could to try to drop it. And failed. I started a low-carb diet over a year ago, this has helped, but the weight started to peeter back on, so after much protest to my husband, I finally conceded to start a workout program.

30 Day Fitness Challenges are a godsend. So far I've completed the ab challenge and the Little Black Dress Challenge, and after I get back from Pennsic I'm going to do the Beach Body Challenge, which just looks evil. However, I got talked into trying the Couch-to-5k program from Cool Runnings, which is a free schedule of runs designed to get you off your ass and completing a 5k without stopping in 9 weeks. I just completed week 4, and I have not died yet. It is not easy. In fact, considering the last time I ran, willingly, on my own in a race I was 19 years old. In Florida, where it is le'flat. I'm in New Hampshire now, and my apartment complex has 20 degree grades, and I'm in the flat part of the state.  :lulz:

The goal is to run a pink out race at the end of September to benefit breast cancer here in Portsmouth, with a couple of my girl friends, dressed in pink viking dresses and looking like idiots, but since race costumes are all the rage now, we figured we need to go for it. Right now, my fastest pace before I gas out completely is about a 10 minute mile. I need to shave another minute off before I can race.

Either way, when I started this shit last year, I had a 38" waist, and 52" hips. I am now down to a 33" waist, and 44" hips. My goal is a 30" waist, and 42" hips. Back to a size 10. I'm not far off, but I can't stop the disco, so to speak. I'm not weighing myself. It's too much grief for a number when my muscle mass just shot up.

I don't know if I'll ever get back into triathlon shape. There's a huge difference in 32 years old and hypothyroid versus a teenager, but I want to start swimming laps again as well at the local Y. Military families get free memberships, so may as well.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Aucoq

Congratulations on your loss so far!  That's quite the incredible drop in inches!

I'm interested in seeing what you think of C25K when it's all said and done.  A lot of my MyFitnessPal friends have done it, and at the time they said they loved it, but I can't remember if any of them completed it or not.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Suu

I'm really liking it so far. It is challenging, but not to the point where you can't do it. The first workout of a new week sucks, but by the third you're in better shape. Next Friday is my first 20 minute/2 mile solid run with no breaks. Not looking forward to it, but I wasn't looking forward to this week either and still pulled it off.

It definitely stresses the, "Do not go over this workout no matter how good you feel." bit, and I can see why.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Also, of note: I'm not weighing myself anymore.

The reason for this is that as a culture we obsessed with 'weight loss' instead of fat loss. I weighed 152 in January with the same measurements I have now. I weighed closer to 170 now, didn't gain an inch, but my arms and legs are starting to get really toned up. So are my abs, even under the layer of flab that isn't going anywhere. I just can't nick it. I seriously gained about 10lbs in muscle mass alone in the last MONTH.