News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

a non-angry, semi-coherent rant.

Started by Chucklemaster, July 28, 2014, 02:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chucklemaster

"Why do we do anything at all?" I've heard this question twice now.
Because it's fun. and if it isn't fun, if it doesn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy, then you should probably stop doing it. it gets more complex, though. Hedonism at its purest form can't stop you from being an asshole. If you have no problem with being an asshole, then that's not a problem. at the point where I am now, where you add in "probably don't ruin shit for others", you don't really get ethical hedonism, you get something different. ethical hedonism implies a detailed(complex) code of ethics. but is "probably don't ruin shit for others" complex? do we need more complex rules, because the 2 I've presented so far seem too much like common knowledge? No. these (guidelines I guess you'd call 'em?) are common knowledge, but they are IGNORABLE common knowledge. it's easy to say you're not always conscious of that rule, but that's assuming you have no free will. you are making the choice to ruin shit for others. depending on the situation, you may not feel bad about that. because sometimes they're only feeling bad because they're attached to the idea of order=good chaos=bad. and showing that those barriers can be broken can feel good. just don't think you're doing people a service by creating chaos. it's not always about service. sometimes it's just about having fun.
blah blah blah the rest of the song