News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 02, 2014, 08:09:04 AM
Quote from: The Suu on September 02, 2014, 01:54:44 AM
I got this alert this weekend:

" On August 29, 2014 at approximately 5:00 pm, a female UNH student reported that at 1:45 am on Garrison Avenue in the area Strafford Avenue and Madbury Road, 3 white males described as ?military looking? pulled up to her in a tan 4 door sedan with South Carolina plates, 2 of the males got out of the vehicle and tried talking the female student into going with them. The males took the female student by the arm and tried moving her to the vehicle. The males opened the trunk of the vehicle trying to get the female into the trunk. Some male friends of the female student came along and the male suspects got back in the vehicle and left area. The female student was not injured. "

Gonna be a hell of a fucking semester.

That's less of an alert and more "Attempted kidnapping". I'm guessing fuck all gets done until someone shows up dead.

Yeah well, my husband is a wee pissed off. Because of the "military looking" description, both the Navy shipyard and the Air Force base were also alerted. The shipyard  just got a new submarine in to be overhauled, and a garrison of Marines also just moved in. Chances are it's not anyone from the bases and probably some ROTC brats on campus, but now they have to deal with that potential. And, you know, being immediately cast in a negative spotlight by the new freshmen's snowplow parents, in addition to the trustafarians bitching that the shipyard is an "eyesore" that ruins their perfect view of Kittery Foreside, therefore harshing their New England Experience or some shit, this isn't really a hit the military needs right now when they employ 3/4 of the fucking population in this city.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Either way, I'm off to my first day of graduate school. I probably have midterms next week.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

You'll have midterms tomorrow.  It is, after all, the middle of the week.

Also, you'll probably enjoy grad school a lot more than undergrad.  There's definitely a noticeable improvement, in my experience, moving up the education chain in terms of quality and interest of what is studied (as you would hope).  I'm interested to see if doctorate level ups the quality even further.

One thing I've found quite surprising is that while it's intellectually engaging, it's not challenging or difficult, per se.  This could be because I've spent the last five years reading books aimed at PhD level audiences.  But I'd be interested to see where the ceiling is, in terms of my academic ability, because so far the Masters hasn't hit it yet.

The Good Reverend Roger

Either I've stopped laughing, or it has become my resting state.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2014, 12:42:37 PM
You'll have midterms tomorrow.  It is, after all, the middle of the week.

Also, you'll probably enjoy grad school a lot more than undergrad.  There's definitely a noticeable improvement, in my experience, moving up the education chain in terms of quality and interest of what is studied (as you would hope).  I'm interested to see if doctorate level ups the quality even further.

One thing I've found quite surprising is that while it's intellectually engaging, it's not challenging or difficult, per se.  This could be because I've spent the last five years reading books aimed at PhD level audiences.  But I'd be interested to see where the ceiling is, in terms of my academic ability, because so far the Masters hasn't hit it yet.

The class I had today is what's called a piggyback. It's a combination of graduates and advanced undergrads. They have to be junior and senior year and be ready to start working on their thesis. I'm going to have more work than them, my papers will be graded on different criteria, but they aren't immature brats who are looking for an easy A. The class is called, "Saints, Sinners, and Heretics." It's primarily focused on the Reformation, but we're cover the period from the Investiture Controversy into the early colonization of North America. Grad students are allowed more leeway on how we want to form our research plan, so I'll be going earlier into the 11th Century back to the Great Schism of 1054 and see if I can touch more on the Orthodox side of Europe's struggles with their own spiritual versus temporal aspects of the Church. I'd like to go even earlier and talk about real heresies, like Council of Nicaea level stuff, but I don't want to diverge that far from the coursework, that's what the independent research classes I'll be taking starting next semester are for.

I have another piggyback class tomorrow on the Early History of Ancient Greece, so Minoan through the Archaic periods, which I'm pretty excited about, and then my grad-only Museum Studies course. I'm only taking three classes, and I'm glad, because there's going to be a lot of writing. So I guess all that layover time I was bitching about between classes and buses are going to work in my favor with the library, which I found today. Uphill. Way up hill. If I don't lose 20lbs this semester because of that library, I'll be in shock.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 02, 2014, 05:08:34 PM

Eventually you laugh at something so funny you can't laugh anymore.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 02, 2014, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 02, 2014, 05:08:34 PM

Eventually you laugh at something so funny you can't laugh anymore.

Nail/head.

Back in 1989, I got so scared that I've never been scared since.  This might be similar.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Ben Shapiro

I've been feeling very jaded lately.

It's weird. I don't like this feeling at all. So I do productive things until the monkey gets off my back.

I haven't gone to the gym in three weeks. Haven't gained anything. Someone said something to me, and subtly mind fucked me, and I don't who/what was said.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 02, 2014, 08:03:40 PM

It's weird. I don't like this feeling at all. So I do productive things until the monkey gets off my back.

I haven't gone to the gym in three weeks. Haven't gained anything. Someone said something to me, and subtly mind fucked me, and I don't who/what was said.

Never mind the pricks.  Do what you gotta do.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 02, 2014, 08:16:32 PM

Yeah, what ever was said it clearly wasn't important.

Suu

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 02, 2014, 08:27:16 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 02, 2014, 08:16:32 PM

Yeah, what ever was said it clearly wasn't important.

Are you feeling tired again? Or was it just the comment from the person that threw you off?

Ben Shapiro

The comment.

Sometimes various people will say something, and then I feel jaded. Like the words they all said are some how linked.

Either it's Discordia, or Jaded feelings.

Suu

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 02, 2014, 08:36:56 PM
The comment.

Sometimes various people will say something, and then I feel jaded. Like the words they all said are some how linked.

I know how you feel. I think it's a form of social anxiety, but I'd rather blame Eris. Or Obama.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: The Suu on September 02, 2014, 08:44:36 PM
Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 02, 2014, 08:36:56 PM
The comment.

I know how you feel. I think it's a form of social anxiety, but I'd rather blame Eris. Or Obama.

The Jews.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

My impending move to Portland has been put on the rocks. Not sure what to do. Can't stay here and things are going to be so exciting driving a 16' truck across the country solo.

. . . . I need more Pepsi.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.