News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Triggered word /b/ear on September 04, 2014, 11:50:46 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 04, 2014, 11:48:42 PM
Quote from: The Suu on September 04, 2014, 11:46:17 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 04, 2014, 09:22:14 PM
To the wise ladies of PD:

We have a new co-worker. She is now one of two dispatchers that uses the Ladies room. She was working during first shift and left. When the girl on 2nd shift went to the bathroom a few hours later, she came out not knowing what the hell she should do - she saw what looked like a blood drop on the floor next to the toilet and a few blood streaks down the outside of the bowl.

She was not comfortable using the facility, not knowing anything about this new person and what kinds of wonderful diseases strangers could have. None of the dudes volunteered to clean it, and I am now gone.

Right now the plan is, when I get in tomorrow, to wait a half hour or so for the new hire to go on break, check to see if the blood is still there, and inform one of the supervisors that will be present of the situation. Do you feel like this is the least invasive method, and one which will avoid embarrassment or ill will?

I would prefer not to approach the new hire about it. Having spent the last week with her, she makes me a bit uneasy in her mannerisms and I would prefer to not have some completely off the wall accusation flown at me in the event my suspicions are correct.

Well, for one: Fucking gross.

And for two: Accidents happen, drips happen. But, you REALLY NEED TO CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF. I have wet wipes in my purse for a damn reason. But streaks? Awful. Uncalled for. I get it, it's gross enough being a woman, it really is, but FFS, with great power comes great responsibility.

Yeah, that. And you know, it attracts bears. We don't need them in the workplace. It's a safety hazard.

SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!

I said bears.

One is fine.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2014, 12:42:37 PM
You'll have midterms tomorrow.  It is, after all, the middle of the week.

Also, you'll probably enjoy grad school a lot more than undergrad.  There's definitely a noticeable improvement, in my experience, moving up the education chain in terms of quality and interest of what is studied (as you would hope).  I'm interested to see if doctorate level ups the quality even further.

One thing I've found quite surprising is that while it's intellectually engaging, it's not challenging or difficult, per se.  This could be because I've spent the last five years reading books aimed at PhD level audiences.  But I'd be interested to see where the ceiling is, in terms of my academic ability, because so far the Masters hasn't hit it yet.

I always kinda had the impression that you have to make your own ceiling, after you graduate, when you start running your own research. Everything up to that point is supposed to prep you.

Everyone's told me that grad school is easier than undergrad, in much the same way that upper division classes are easier than lower division, because you have the foundation and you get to start building on it and narrowing your focus in on your specific interests.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on September 04, 2014, 01:03:42 AM
Second Daughter was born a few days ago. She spent some time in the ICU but is okay now.

SD's grandparents hate me so visiting her and her mom has been difficult since she's been out of the hospital. It's a very complicated situation and every time I try to write about it I just end up deleting it. There's some KYFMS material in there too, so it's for the better. TLDR version is SD's mom lives with her parents who are shitty people and I have trouble abiding their shittiness so I do not live with them.

First Daughter's mother (a different woman) has taken to making major decisions without discussing them with me and being weaselly about me visiting and Skyping with FD so I'm only talking with her via email before I lawyer up. Hopefully it won't even go to mediation.

Previous job turned out to be horseshit, though possibly useful for early twenty-somethings as an internship. So I'm trying to juggle looking for work all day, fucking off on the internets to keep my sanity, and spending time with my littlest one.

Shit be suckin. But my roommate is super cool, so at least there's that.

Congratulations on the new baby... hope everything else works out OK.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

minuspace

Net: Much love for the little one!

EoC:  I'd just bless it with amonia, good for blood, who knows, might be taken care of already?

Ben Shapiro

Suu

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on September 05, 2014, 12:45:20 AM
Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2014, 12:42:37 PM
You'll have midterms tomorrow.  It is, after all, the middle of the week.

Also, you'll probably enjoy grad school a lot more than undergrad.  There's definitely a noticeable improvement, in my experience, moving up the education chain in terms of quality and interest of what is studied (as you would hope).  I'm interested to see if doctorate level ups the quality even further.

One thing I've found quite surprising is that while it's intellectually engaging, it's not challenging or difficult, per se.  This could be because I've spent the last five years reading books aimed at PhD level audiences.  But I'd be interested to see where the ceiling is, in terms of my academic ability, because so far the Masters hasn't hit it yet.

I always kinda had the impression that you have to make your own ceiling, after you graduate, when you start running your own research. Everything up to that point is supposed to prep you.

Everyone's told me that grad school is easier than undergrad, in much the same way that upper division classes are easier than lower division, because you have the foundation and you get to start building on it and narrowing your focus in on your specific interests.

One professor hasn't given me his parameters yet, but I'll be talking with him soon, because I'd like him to be on my committee as he's the Classics department chair. In one class I have absolute free reign on research for my final topic as long as I show up and engage in the lectures. The course is centered around 1400-1600 religious history, but I'm taking it back earlier, because I can, while the other grad student I sit with is taking it to American colonialism. So you make the classes work for YOU. These are the piggyback classes I talked about, that involve the undergrads.

My museum studies course is graduate only, and there are 3 of us in the cohort, so he opened it to undergrads as an elective, but already warned them it's not going to be easy. Instead of writing, it's a series of projects, and I've decided that my final is going to be an exhibit at the library on living historians at UNH. So yeah, it gives me an excuse to show off my stuff, but I have a couple friends that also graduated from there that are going to loan me materials. It's also a cheeky way to recruit into our reenactment groups, but overall it should be a fun project and catch the eye.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've been feeling really emotionally vulnerable lately. I don't know what the deal is; whether it has something to do with the whole "falling in love" threat or if it's some kind of early sign of hormonal menopause.

LMNO

I've been feeling the same, but most likely for entirely different reasons.  Instead of choking it back, I've decided to roll with it, and be open and honest about my, for the lack of better terms, "feels".

It's been mildly freaking out my friends, and causing my wife to love me even more.  So, I'm gonna tentatively call it "beneficial".

Your results may, and probably will, differ.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 05, 2014, 05:51:33 PM
I've been feeling the same, but most likely for entirely different reasons.  Instead of choking it back, I've decided to roll with it, and be open and honest about my, for the lack of better terms, "feels".

It's been mildly freaking out my friends, and causing my wife to love me even more.  So, I'm gonna tentatively call it "beneficial".

Your results may, and probably will, differ.

So far it isn't really hurting anything. I'm taking much the same tack, and just telling people when something is difficult for me to handle. My boyfriend felt bad the other day because he made a joke that upset me, but we repaired that pretty quickly. I'm largely just making it a point to steer clear of things and people that don't seem to foster positive interactions and feelz for me right now, which means (once again) leaving the facebook discordian groups.

I'm glad I'm not alone in being a tender tender cupcake right now.

LMNO

Wait!  How will I know what to do when I find a dead body?

...I've been loving those, BTW.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 05, 2014, 06:12:43 PM
Wait!  How will I know what to do when I find a dead body?

...I've been loving those, BTW.

Haha, thanks!

I have them all saved and will find an appropriate place to post them all. Perhaps even here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm also not drinking and last night was my first night without some kind of chemical sleep aid in a while. My default unmedicated sleep mode is "intermittent and light, with vivid strange dreams" and only lasts about six hours, so we'll see how this goes.

I'm just trying to get all the crap out of my system and hopefully lose weight and get my heartbeat reasonably regular again.

Cain

Just done a 9 hour shift on 3 hours of sleep.  Yay *falls over*

On the plus side, thumbs are functional again.

The Good Reverend Roger

It's Friday.

I know this because everything is breaking at once.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.