News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

The trick to Civilization has always been to maximise population growth and translate that into military/economic power/scientific research (in that order).  It's a surefire winner, because no matter how complex they make the model, they never remove that basic essence of gameplay.  Sure, you can play around with fancy diplomatic victories (just done one in Civ5), but it's easier when you have lots of money to bribe your vassal states with, and a big army to deter others and protect your trade routes.

Haven't played Sim City since 2, but from what I remember, a 2:1:2 ratio of accomodation, commercial and industrial does the trick pretty nicely.

And no.  I'm saying PD.com is a vast alien, Lovecraftian entity which will destroy everything you cherish.

Sehra Farron

Quote from: Cain on August 17, 2014, 11:31:44 AM
The trick to Civilization has always been to maximise population growth and translate that into military/economic power/scientific research (in that order).  It's a surefire winner, because no matter how complex they make the model, they never remove that basic essence of gameplay.  Sure, you can play around with fancy diplomatic victories (just done one in Civ5), but it's easier when you have lots of money to bribe your vassal states with, and a big army to deter others and protect your trade routes.

Haven't played Sim City since 2, but from what I remember, a 2:1:2 ratio of accomodation, commercial and industrial does the trick pretty nicely.

And no.  I'm saying PD.com is a vast alien, Lovecraftian entity which will destroy everything you cherish.

The new SimCity ain't bad, the only problem I have with it is the limitation on space. I'll try that ratio in a new save though.

And to be fair, Cthulhu doesn't look all that threatening.

Kinda cute, actually. He can go ahead and destroy my cities all he wants. <3 I don't mind.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sehra Farron on August 17, 2014, 02:06:23 AM
Found this place by complete accident (or was it?) and for some reason I find this place rather interesting.

So I shall lurk (though it probably defeats the purpose by being announced).

Welcome to PD, new guy!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sehra Farron on August 17, 2014, 02:46:37 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 16, 2014, 10:55:32 PM
Quote from: The Suu on August 14, 2014, 04:28:31 PM
There's an article that a friend posted on Facebook about how parents shouldn't be excited about their kids going back to school, and in fact, even joking about it is a bad thing, because that means you don't love your kids or some shit.

http://www.sistersraisingsisters.com/please-do-not-be-this-mother/

Whatever happened to having a fucking sense of humor? I mentioned this, and got chastised, because "I'm not a parent and I will never understand."

Oh fuck off and hit your funny bone.

Man, fuck those "every moment is precious" overprotective moms who are training their children that everyone on earth ought to be grateful for every moment of their precious presence. The kids they're raising are going to be hopelessly dysfunctional without therapy and hard work, and they're also being sent the message that time away from home is something to be sad about, and not a fun chance for adventure, exploration, and making friends. There's nothing that will make a kid feel more insecure and ambivalent about going to school like a clingy overprotective mom weeping about having to send them off to school.

Celebrating is A: funny as hell, and B: lets kids know that it's OK to be independent and go out into the world and learn stuff, and also to take time to be by yourself and be your own damn human being. Even when you're a parent.

The problem isn't just with parents anymore though. I've noticed an alarming trend of schools that are far too overprotective of these special snowflakes. Schools banning balls, cartwheels, books, water guns/pistols, triangle shaped pancakes, hugging/any form of touching, dodgeball and the list of bullshit items to ban from schools for bullshit reason(s) is long.

Then there's also the schools that called the police because a little boy kissed a little girl and they wanted to charge with him sexual asault, a boy made a gun gesture with his hand, some kid poked another kid with a pointy pancake, bans a little girl for shaving her head, bans a girl with red hair, bans a group of teens who saved a woman and her dog from a burning building, bans teachers from using red ink because it's too mean, bans a boy's backpack because MLP, bans sunscreen because a kid might drink it, a girl has distracting hair, a little boy folded a piece of paper into a gun shape and was expelled, expels a little girl because she didn't look feminine enough, a little girl is raped TWICE and she is not only expelled but also forced to write a letter of apology...

Christ, I could go on, the list is pretty long. I see something new about some school doing something completely ridiculous nearly every day on Fark.com. I mean, pardon my language here, but what in the actual fuck is going on? Did somebody pour some tainted kool-aid in the water supply?

Those are two separate issues. One is overprotective parenting, the other is the criminalization of the schoolyard.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

I think I need to hire a housekeeping service when I start school. I can't keep up with taking care of the husband getting the snot beat out of him daily, finish my last few orders, and do graduate work full time and still clean my damn house. I'm weeks behind on laundry as it is right now. Once he's done with his chief bullshit he can start actually helping me again, but right now it's too much. He's coming home and turning into a pile of comatose camouflage on my couch every night. He's still going to have 2 more weeks of this shit after I start classes on the 2nd, and after a semester off and starting graduate level work, I don't think I will have the brain capacity to do anything more than come home, cook something, and do homework without crying. I mean, we haven't even been able to unload our trailer from Pennsic yet.  :sad: This is awful. I already cleaned the house once this week and it went kerplooey once we got the car unloaded.

He won't be here this week though, so maybe I can make some sort of progress. My head just feels like it's going to explode, and I'm supposed to be his "support."

What about my fucking support, damnit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

I have to say, DS2014 has been considerably retarded of late.  I mean, even by its own low standards.

Junkenstein

I was in a Little chef earlier today. There was a basket next to the till with "EVERYTHING HERE £1!"

The contents that I saw:

Road Map
Rubbers
"Enliven" or somesuch close to this, small red pills contents about 100 apparently some kind of "male supplement".

Junkenwife and I spent a while debating this and the best we answer we've got is that it's some kind of one stop shop for dogging supplies.

Food was good.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Just got home from being a YMCA counselor up in Big Bear for the past week. Had a lot of good experiences, had a number of bad experiences involving a shitneck Co-counselor and CIT, but overall happy that i survived the challenge

Pissed off this morning because the People of Color race discussion group at my church decided that the best use of the lions share of our time should be spent arguing whether or not "People of Color" is an okay term to identify ourselves by. When I tried to point out that there's better topics that could be brought up, i was sharply cut off by the reverend. If i wanted to spend my Sunday afternoon playing word games i could have gotten a Mad Libs book and had a better time of it. Still debating whether to wash my hands of the place or go back specifically just to troll them.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: The Suu on August 17, 2014, 03:45:29 AM
So as I mentioned before, my cousin is expecting twins in January. Now, I know nothing of babies or what sizes of things I should buy, but since we do not know the gender yet, I was thinking of starting to buy packs of white onesies as I see them in various sizes, and drawing on them with fabric markers. She has rich Long Island doctor friends who are going to buy her fancy schmancy shit. I'm crocheting the blankets, but I can't be one-uped by the rich folk when it comes to utilitarianism.

Babies are full of gross and make messes, they will be in onesies and diapers more than pretty clothes. What better than onesies covered in obnoxious artwork by yours truly? "My cousin is a poor grad student so all I got was this fucking onesie." And such things.

Suu

I just had a needle break on my husband's pants and go up my nose.

I'm done for the night, I think.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Quote from: The Suu on August 18, 2014, 03:23:58 AM
I just had a needle break on my husband's pants and go up my nose.

I'm done for the night, I think.

Pretty sure that needs to go on the Hard Pants Newsletter FB page.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

LMNO

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

LMNO