News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

"I create my own reality!"

Started by zackli, August 14, 2014, 07:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackli

Zack went through a phase where he thought like that. He blames his intelligence, which more accurately translated would be his ability to absorb information and act on it in his head. Because who needs real life when you've got an imagination that awesome!

He also read an article on psychology today about how thinking to oneself in the third person makes one calmer and more rational. He doesn't actually think he's irrational or tensed up, but he is always open to trying new ways to eliminate his self concept, so that he can then go about life and strive to reach the goals he threw out with the bathwater that was his self. He is not regretting it, because it's so much easier not having to be disappointed while maintaining perfectly plausible rationalizations that he is more rational and less emotional as a result, when in fact(tm) he is simply in a different prison of self-delusions designed to give him the indirect narcissistic sense of superiority over others he doesn't know he needs for reasons he doesn't or can't or won't fully understand.

Or something. He actually was just having trouble getting used to talking in third person to himself because he didn't have any context through which to apply it, but he figured he couldn't go wrong with self-introspecting, thereby manipulating the way he introspects about his introspecting. He was also largely similar to what he sounds like now, only with a few fancy psychology terms he doesn't usually use and he could write a book about himself right now, but is choosing not to because that is too obvious a sign of narcissism (which is too loaded of a term for him to use in his own writing or every day language).

Source: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-happiness-project/201112/think-yourself-in-the-third-person

But the thing is, it really works. (from the top of the web page) Zack isn't sure yet, but he definitely sees himself being even more honest with himself in the future.

It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas or feelings proves the validity of those feelings. Nothing is further from the truth.... The fact that millions of people share the same vices does not make those vices virtues, the fact that they share so many errors does not make the errors truths, and the fact that millions of people share the same form of mental pathology does not make these people sane." - Erich Fromm

The Johnny

Looking at yourself in the third person is not introspection, its dissassociation.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

zackli

Thank you, I was wondering why I was straining myself. To a certain extent I'm already dissociating, and it's very weird to dissociate from dissociating...

There's probably a reason it was "think" in the third person and not write a post to put on the internet; to other people it's just weird...

It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas or feelings proves the validity of those feelings. Nothing is further from the truth.... The fact that millions of people share the same vices does not make those vices virtues, the fact that they share so many errors does not make the errors truths, and the fact that millions of people share the same form of mental pathology does not make these people sane." - Erich Fromm

Telarus

Very much. Also ties into the Zen koan, "What face did you wear before your parents were born?"
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Johnny on August 14, 2014, 08:42:24 AM

Looking at yourself in the third person is not introspection, its dissassociation.

QFT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on August 16, 2014, 10:49:48 PM
Very much. Also ties into the Zen koan, "What face did you wear before your parents were born?"

That particular koan makes me want to punch people in the face.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Which face, the one before or after my parents were born?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

nonheroick

I, myself, have spent a long time struggling with the balance between disassociating and creating my own reality. I have a mild form of schizophrenia, and from a young age disassociated very heavily, causing myself to do many actions that I myself did not feel in control of. Once I realized that I did have control over my actions, and that I had control over the thoughts that I had in my head, I went in the opposite direction and began feeling like reality controlled ME.

In the past few years, I came to realize that reality is somewhere in-between subjective and objective. Chaos is around us always, always throwing unexpected events in our way, but we have the power to control them through our thoughts and how we see the world. However, believing that we can completely take over reality and change it is where some pass over from wisdom to lunacy. This is usually characterized by (in my own experience) feeling that nothing is real, or solid; letting entire hours pass by staring at the wall or ceiling without any sort of gnosis/intention; an inflated ego which believes that i can pass through walls or make miraculous jumps off of buildings unharmed.

I guess the moral of the story is root yourself in reality first before you make any adventures creating your own reality. However, these roots should be growing and rapidly absorbing, not stagnant like stone stakes.

LMNO

The Johnny

The only ways to "change reality" is either thru a change in the interpretation of the meaning of it or thru taking action.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

MasterBlaster

Quote from: The Johnny on September 13, 2014, 08:26:09 PM

The only ways to "change reality" is either thru a change in the interpretation of the meaning of it or thru taking action.

Both can be seen as basically the same, e.g., in practical occultism (magic(k)).

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: nonheroick on September 13, 2014, 05:52:44 PM
I, myself, have spent a long time struggling with the balance between disassociating and creating my own reality. I have a mild form of schizophrenia, and from a young age disassociated very heavily, causing myself to do many actions that I myself did not feel in control of. Once I realized that I did have control over my actions, and that I had control over the thoughts that I had in my head, I went in the opposite direction and began feeling like reality controlled ME.

In the past few years, I came to realize that reality is somewhere in-between subjective and objective. Chaos is around us always, always throwing unexpected events in our way, but we have the power to control them through our thoughts and how we see the world. However, believing that we can completely take over reality and change it is where some pass over from wisdom to lunacy. This is usually characterized by (in my own experience) feeling that nothing is real, or solid; letting entire hours pass by staring at the wall or ceiling without any sort of gnosis/intention; an inflated ego which believes that i can pass through walls or make miraculous jumps off of buildings unharmed.

I guess the moral of the story is root yourself in reality first before you make any adventures creating your own reality. However, these roots should be growing and rapidly absorbing, not stagnant like stone stakes.
:mittens: