Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: The Suu on September 25, 2014, 02:05:55 AM
So I think it's really all in my head.

I think that's usually the case, for you.  From what I can tell, you has teh smartiez.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

This term is dense with information. Legal research, criminal justice (taught by a prosecutor  :eek:), and immigration law.

Immigration law is pretty much like taking a new language. Not even the things I learned in other law classes really apply.

Then there's fucking legal research. Ho-Ly-Shit! So far we've basically covered citations and how to use reporters (case books). Citation is fucking insane. Think MLM if there were a couple thousand different MLM standards for any one type of citation, depending on where you were, what you were doing, and, often, who's going to be reading the thing. Also, add in the possibility that a court can reject filings if you fail to underline the appropriate words (malpractice suit) or use a format that works in one court room which the judge in the the court room across the hall doesn't accept.

Justice is blind...and by blind, I mean highly concerned with whether omission of a preposition in a case title is permissible/mandatory in this jurisdiction, and venue.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wow, the citation sounds brutal! I'm grateful that once I finished my writing requirements I can pretty much count on only using APA for the rest of my life.

I am in between classes on the second day of school and feeling a little reassured about ochem (just sat down and did some of the homework, it really wasn't that bad, seems like I just need to make sure I do some problems every day) but more nervous about Holistic Problem Solving, which looks like it might be kind of an ass-kicker. Downloaded and printed a couple of books worth of readings on the systems approach in business. Molecular bio seems like it'll be fun, especially since I did all that extra reading on epigenetics last Spring, and Neurophysiology actually looks like it's going to be my cakewalk class because it's a lot of biology and sensory stuff.

I'm dog-tired. The new building is exceptionally beautiful inside, though, and is designed to make students walk, with catwalks crisscrossing the upper reaches, which are open and airy and full of light, which ultimately is good for all of us.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fuck, it was my second day today and I think I have midterms next week, too.

Freeky

I just started two classes today.  Self-paced, independent study, Business English (OAP 151) and Computer Keyboarding and Document Processing (OAP111).  Doesn't seem like it'll be too hard, but I MUST have the books, because one of them is a workbook where I have to physically rip the pages out AND ALSO do the internet thing (where I must have bought the keycode), and the other is two books and a keycode that I have to have because we do work in Word, and that work isn't on the website.  Buuuuuuutts.

Suu

It looks like I may be spending a portion of my summer in Turkey. My Greek history professor manages a dig.

http://www.cadirhoyuk.com/index.html

They have 2 Byzantine trenches. I'm going to see if I can A: Use it as one of my required internships and/or B: Use it as a springboard for my thesis.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Archaeology digs have always sounded like fun to me. A friend of mine majored in antiquities, and he spent a summer in Greece, which sounded heavenly (at the time, this was when Greece still had some economic solidity).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I basically need to get through this term and then start working on my next internship/lab job. My study mate T spent his summer volunteering with a PI who studies lichen, who then hooked him up with a PI who studies virology, and now I'm all envious and wondering if I misspent my summer. :lol:

Meanwhile, Surfboard Sam, who is possibly the smartest person in our cohort, is going to spend fall and spring in Germany, which means that she's opening up some space for me to get the primo lab jobs while she's gone, and also to recommend her as my successor when she comes back.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So the good news is that as far as I can tell so far, Ochem is not even vaguely anywhere near as hard and awful as people have been leading me to believe it would be. It's just a matter of understanding the systems and then making them second nature by actually doing the practice problems.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm actually starting to suspect that the whole "Ochem will murder you and eat your face" schtick is hyperbole designed to keep the riffraff out of science.

Cain

Apparently, a lot of the bad rep organic chemistry has is from insufficiently trained pre-med and biology students.  And the textbooks.

hirley0

a new reply has been posted. oh ok ?00

No Probably SoMe truth to it? A few years back there was a chemist
at PSu who would let ME in his Lab | he was doing solutions
aka WET {nonORG { i on the other hand do Dry {crucible
{never mind
He would desolve everything in acids & then selectively deposit out of solution
over time  1 2 3 etc | the trick was the solution had to be stirred just so
to fast caused errors  & to slow also STIR CORRECTLY
anyway after a few years of itreium no it was IRidium { i supplied
he developed twitches & a died a few years after that { i4got his name

Quote from: Your Mom on October 07, 2014, 01:12:18 AM
I'm actually starting to suspect that the whole "Ochem will murder you and eat your face" schtick is hyperbole designed to keep the riffraff out of science.

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2014, 12:17:19 PM
Apparently, a lot of the bad rep organic chemistry has is from insufficiently trained pre-med and biology students.  And the textbooks.

hirley0

Byzantine period sit layer atop layer, reaching a height of 32 meters
YEAH ? YEAH  Those stupid Archaeologists are always looking down NEVER Up
LoOk tw | what you want to do is DATE | CM/s by CM/s top to bottom of the 32
Always /Alwaus carryA 32 PEARL HANDLED REVOLVER BEHIND YOUR BACK
in a holster that has no safty strap to hold it in | loose holster tats all tw

Quote from: The Suu on October 04, 2014, 12:10:08 AM
It looks like I may be spending a portion of my summer in Turkey. My Greek history professor manages a dig.

http://www.cadirhoyuk.com/index.html

They have 2 Byzantine trenches. I'm going to see if I can A: Use it as one of my required internships and/or B: Use it as a springboard for my thesis.