News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm trying to figure out my next steps. I am pretty sure that I want to apply to the MD/PhD program, which means I need to finish the Physics series, which shouldn't be too hard -- in fact, if I defend next Spring, I can just take it over the following summer. However, ideally I would then go directly into the program in Fall, and to do that I need to apply this cycle, which means I should have my MCAT scores, but I don't have time to study for the MCAT. A third year is looking questionable, because of  State budget issues, so I can't count on that. My side project, though, is looking super interesting, because we now have a working glucocorticoid receptor assay for intact tissue, so I could defend, then finish my side project as a volunteer, finish physics, and take the MCAT, applying for the 2019 cycle.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Quote from: Nast on March 09, 2017, 12:51:59 AM
So I decided I want to go for my BA so I went for it and finally applied for UCSB this semester! I'll find out some time this spring if I'm accepted or not. As for major, it was pretty much an equal toss up between archaeology, art history, or Asian studies for me, but I went with Asian studies because it was the easiest thing to apply to and it meshed well with my previous skill set. 

So now I'm back at community college finishing up my IGETC requirements. Two of my classes are going fine and I really like them, but the two that I'm taking online - Statistics and Critical Thinking - are a miserable slog.

It's been a whirlwind six months, honestly. I got a new job, entered a new relationship, broke off said relationship, was hospitalized twice - once for salmonella (lol) and then for a spider bite (lol wut), my grandma died, and of course all this craziness going on in the world just contributes to the general stress level. Now it's the middle of the semester now and I just feel kind of burnt out and unable to bring myself to care.

I'm trying to drum up the motivation to apply myself since these two classes are utterly crucial for me, but...blargh, just blargh.

That's awesome, I hope you keep plugging away at it.

I was having a hard time with math, but recently turned the corner on it after about a month of daily Kahn Academy sessions. Burn out is super lame, the last couple of papers I turned in were really half-assed, can't be bothered to give a fuck.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Turns out that for Biochem I need to learn ALL THE MATHS.

I have to cram College Algrebra and Elementary Functions into this summer so I can start Calculus in the fall and continue the Calc series through the year.

Then next year, it'll be Physics W/Calc.

It's daunting, but what I have found most helpful is to funnel the feelings I get when clearing out a Dwemer ruin into getting an A. It works!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is something incredibly cathartic and consuming about plunging yourself into studying math and science. I am going to be super envious when you get ahead of me in math!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

After much thinking, I think my best bet is to take a gap year after I finish my Masters. I am on track to defend next Spring, and then I can take Physics and study for the MCAT over next summer, and apply for MD/PhD programs in Fall 2018 for 2019 admissions. I should be able to get a lab job or teach A&P at the community college to tide me over.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dammit

This A&P assignment is already interfering with my research. Not only that, but while teaching Principles required a weekly 2-hour meeting, plus 2 3-hour sections, plus one office hour, plus two to three hours of grading, it was possible to get it done in 12 hours a week, max. A&P requires one three-hour weekly meeting, two hours of dissection, two 3-hour sections, 2 hours of open lab, and, for the first year, sitting in on another TA's 3-hour section. How many hours am I getting paid for? NOT SIXTEEN.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, and it's conflicting with my preadsorption that I was going to finish Monday, and also I might not be able to go to Manitoba.

Freeky

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on March 24, 2017, 12:31:09 AM
That sucks, Nigel.  :sad:

Thanks, Freeky!

I think I may have worked it out; there is a cadaver pair we won't be using this term, because we don't have enough sections and they're pretty beat up from the last two terms. I've asked the professor if I can dissect ahead on them, so that I already know the anatomy well before I leave.

And also I'm definitely going, which also means not speaking at the Women in Neuroscience event, but, ah, fuck it.

LMNO

I love watching this thread.  It's really inspiring.

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on March 24, 2017, 01:20:41 PM
I love watching this thread.  It's really inspiring.

Yeah this.

Salty

One of my classes this term is Social Problems. It's going to be a heck of a bummer, but I love talking about that kind of stuff. It's basically Liberal-Snowflake Critical Thinking 101.

At one point we were discussing social movements that enact change. The first example given was M.A.D.D., Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

For the second example, the teacher wrote B.L.M. and asked us what it meant. The overwhelming majority of my classmates said: "Bureau of Land Management".

:facepalm:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Salty on April 05, 2017, 04:22:59 PM
One of my classes this term is Social Problems. It's going to be a heck of a bummer, but I love talking about that kind of stuff. It's basically Liberal-Snowflake Critical Thinking 101.

At one point we were discussing social movements that enact change. The first example given was M.A.D.D., Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

For the second example, the teacher wrote B.L.M. and asked us what it meant. The overwhelming majority of my classmates said: "Bureau of Land Management".

:facepalm:

Awwww, Portlanders!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I got my course reviews back from last term. Apparently my afternoon class LOVED me, but my 7:30am class? Not so much.  :lulz: Good thing I'm not teaching at buttcrack-30 this term.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 05, 2017, 05:27:15 PM
I got my course reviews back from last term. Apparently my afternoon class LOVED me, but my 7:30am class? Not so much.  :lulz: Good thing I'm not teaching at buttcrack-30 this term.

"Never Nigel Before Noon" was the thought that hit me.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl