News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Your Mom on October 20, 2014, 11:52:59 PM
Good, I hope she grades this one kindly or gives you a chance to revise.

I'm currently reviewing Mol bio slides in preparation for tomorrow's midterm. I feel like everyone else is much more stressed about it than I am, which makes me worried that I'm grossly overestimating my preparedness.

ETERNAL MIDTERMLAND IS UPON US.

I have a mock collection policy due on Wednesday for my Museum Studies class, and I have no idea where to start. He wasn't terribly helpful but he's not looking for massive amounts of pages. I'll do it tomorrow. I'm way too into the Hadrian's Wall course tonight to stop.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on October 20, 2014, 11:55:48 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 20, 2014, 11:52:59 PM
Good, I hope she grades this one kindly or gives you a chance to revise.

I'm currently reviewing Mol bio slides in preparation for tomorrow's midterm. I feel like everyone else is much more stressed about it than I am, which makes me worried that I'm grossly overestimating my preparedness.

ETERNAL MIDTERMLAND IS UPON US.

I have a mock collection policy due on Wednesday for my Museum Studies class, and I have no idea where to start. He wasn't terribly helpful but he's not looking for massive amounts of pages. I'll do it tomorrow. I'm way too into the Hadrian's Wall course tonight to stop.

Yeah, I apparently have one to two midterms per week for the rest of the term.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

I did really well on my Early Ancient Greece midterm, especially since I know he graded the graduate students on a different rubric than the undergrads. I think my paper for him will do well also. I have my grad assignments on top of the general classwork also, and the first critical essay is due in 2 weeks on a book I'm reading on the Trojan War. I start gathering sources for my term paper next week for the class with the overwhelmed professor. She needs a thesis statement and annotated biblio soonish, I need to double check my syllabus.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just got asked to TA for Perception this winter.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

hirley0

ad 1784 6am ? 10/21 yeah i may as well spend the hole Hour on this
.1 i have page 9 open on the other tab, so i can ..
"see what the Navy wants to do with us first"
it reminds me of the day i jumped ship on the way back to pearl
FROM the H test at the atoll Just a Min
really more like a score / long D'La'$ in play on tab 3 + blank screen
THUS :  i picked myself up | AMazed i made the Jump
Grabbed my sea bag / which Big.UN had thankfully tossed from 01
and headed off for who knows where
i don't REMember exactly , i wound up at a BUS STOP
ON MY FINAL APPROACH  i passed a building
must have ben the wave barracks | inside a harsh feemale voice
" THERE ARE ONLY 2 JOBS for weman in the NAVY
Lesbian or Whore, take your pick, make up your mind & get ready
I SURE DO remEMBER THAT DAY As if it were 2day
moving along anyway | maybe tab three has connected NOPe stuck:
it just flips me off to a blank page | Ebola Quarantine Ends | H a
my web crawler search is non functional
Maybe tomorrow | anyway2 | glad i allocated H to thread
it sure is slow 2day for sure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Islands
Firefox can't find the server at ccs.webcrawler.com.
Plenty funny WHAT? http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/26551.htm
it does seam rather pointless {system4me is down.
back to tamales {fiesta brand | i over cooked them today {bad.D .
There: They are gone now, a tad on the dry side drn it
anyway 3 i'Ll try 39 for dT today thats +1 for me & -1 for B ? get it ?/?

the hi Sp'r's aRe in control 2day so its har to post .
12::08:39 for 10am PDt {maybe | took 4 hrs & 2 ~reboots {

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Midterm 1 is over. Forever. I can only breathe a sigh of relief and defeat as I assess my study strategy and find it badly lacking. Lessons learned: When Dr. Singer says "I want you to understand the mechanisms and patterns at work, not memorize the details", he's lying. Also, when Dr. Singer says "You won't need to know this for the midterm", he's lying. And when Dr. Singer says "I won't ask you about polarity without giving you a molecular diagram; I want you to be able to recognize the structures that make side chains polar, not memorize which ones are polar", he's also lying.

In fact, if Dr. Singer ever says anything about something he doesn't want you to memorize, memorize it.

And when he says "The slides are your best study tool", he's also lying. Don't bother with the slides, or your lecture notes, and for that matter if he didn't have mid-lecture quizzes the lectures would be completely worthless. Just read the book.

GOT IT.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

On a more positive note, it looks like both Borneo and Peru are happening.

hirley0

ad 1898 Very confused = ? used +38s= 3s fast try41s
07:01 2014 10/22 nhk ? N
Korea / solved | deligation sent | accepted
AB duck T ion || 7-'s & 80's contaminated F
U Le | Radio active ? Holes ? dust duspersed
COLUMBIA river Coast Guatd on Channel 22A.
07:05 Feaver \ Heath Athority in Japan
How2 Transport Take on & take off
Discharge / Argues /\/eibors / THis / E
Kerry / ovr voice / \/\/ith Who ho ho
07:07 ? Pro D HoNG KoNG | Leaders ? Pr
07:10 bkm Rockets 2 ISreel ? Building
07:11 4Refregees | LoOks Like Years
07:12 Monteral shooting 1 of 90  Ta
07:13 drivers / trafic Jam / 3x10Yrs
07:17 En ?2020 Olympic Games Hi.School
56 super global | 60 | conversation ||
07:21 Science ? Ed.over/HaLL Japan debt
Super Global Hi Schoo; | Understand 1%
07:23 Wednesday ? 07:23Flood UK Wind110
Oregon 140 mm ? | W Palm B 200mm/10min?

13:05 2014 10/21 for "TOP OF THE Hour" AC post time
acadamia should post WHEN the minute hand is up. &
TV's [EBOLA] "SERIES" |B.WAR | m.HAND down @ 1/2H
i think i AM  on schedule post time 1 B ?/? 3:08:35 }

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on October 22, 2014, 07:08:13 AM

NICE!

Eater of Clowns

Woo!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 22, 2014, 12:17:01 PM

NICE!

Yeah, it's kind of crazy really.

Cain

I've just realised one of my modules is essentially a bookclub for discussing the new University think tank's director's book on countering terrorism.

I mean, it's not a bad book, and though he gets certain minor details wrong or omits them from his account (like the British Army being brought in because the trust in the RUC was so low that Republicans actually trusted the military more, at least initially), his overall jist is one I can agree with.

But still. 

Cain

Bleh, tonights topic is cyberterrorism.

First module has reference to Something Awful and Anonymous (more as hacktivists than terrorists), so that should give you an idea of the conceptual level cyber-terrorism is at: namely, at the level of an Atlantic or Harpers reader, and not much higher.

Admittedly, it's a tricky one, because first of all its conflated with cyberwarfare by non-state actors - and cyberwarfare is already a notoriously diffuse concept.  Throw in that you're probably dealing with at least 3 different phenomena: the internet as a vector or target of attack, the internet as logistical support for terrorism and the internet as propaganda, and you can easily see why the whole discipline is a mess...especially when you recall we're still having the definitional and roots debates about terrorism as a whole.