News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 05:35:00 AM
I got the dirty deets on Peru... looks like it's timed such that I can take two other classes that summer, to meet my full-time requirement for financial aid. They'll be condensed classes which means that I'll actually only be taking one at a time, and if they offer what they offered last summer I can probably do something like genetics and something in psych.

Fantastic news!

Faust

Quote from: Cain on October 23, 2014, 04:42:22 PM
So, I think I can credibly claim to have the most interesting lecturer for my counter-terrorism course.

I didn't actually realise he was that Bob Lambert until I was doing some related reading last night.

Heh, funny, I was reading this last night in the bus stop and he is in the news again today:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1024/654601-bob-lambert/
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Pretty sure that in the US, using false pretenses to entice someone into a sexual relationship is legally rape.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 24, 2014, 08:14:10 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 02:58:41 AM
So, I think I can credibly claim to have the most interesting lecturer for my counter-terrorism course.

I didn't actually realise he was that Bob Lambert until I was doing some related reading last night.

Holy shit

Having a KID while you're undercover is... um, kinda fucked up.

Oh yeah, for sure.

The best part is, he's not the only one.  There seems to have been a whole procession of undercover officers from the Metropolitan police Special Branch whose careers revolved around infiltrating environmental movements and having sex with female activists.  That's why I didn't initially realise my professor was one of them - there have been a lot more recent cases of a very similar kind, with younger officers.

Its almost like the eco-terrorism beat exists almost purely for bored police officers to get laid while claiming to protect the country from dangerous criminals.

"I had to sleep with that young activist regularly for the last four years, honey... I was ordered to, for National Security!"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

"If I don't fuck the 20-odd year old activist, the terrorists win"

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In other news, I took my Ochem midterm and it was awesome. Everyone who says Ochem is so brutal must have had just terrible professors.

Suu

I got an A on my paper for Ancient Greece, complete with a John Travolta quote from my professor (seriously), and a 97/100 on my Reformation midterm, which completely threw me for a loop.

Okay. Something is aligning in my favor.

Also, pic:

My professor is really obsessed with "Basic." He quotes it all the time.  :?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lol: I like the John Travolta reference.

Nicely done.

Nephew Twiddleton

Registration for spring semester begins next freakin' week. So, I had to email the department head and ask him for a list of what courses were being offered and when. I just woke up from a brief sleep and saw that he had sent it. I've still got some time to tweak it for time and to contact UMass and ask them just how badly they need me to actually graduate from Bunker Hill before transferring or if I can just transfer regardless and take the necessary classes there (man's gotta work and there's a big chunk of time in between two classes that would allow me to commute back to work, sign in, work for 15 minutes, sign out and then go back to school  :lulz:)

But it looks like it will be:
Environmental Microbiology (elective. The other Microbiology course I took is clinical and is meant for Nursing or Biotech programs)
Molecular Biotechnology (elective, and a capstone course)
General Chemistry I
General Physics II

Total of 17 credits

This would basically leave Calculus I and General Chemistry II as the only classes left I had to take.

Other electives that I have the option for but decided against in favor Micro and Molecular (because that's more in line with what I want to do) were Population Ecology (conflicts schedulewise with Molecular) and Interpretation of Scientific Research (useful, but again. I'm keeping that one as a backup elective)

Invariably, since there's only one time slot for each of these bio electives and BHCC has more students than it can handle, I'm going to have to be sitting at my computer as soon as the courses become available. Which blows, but it will be my last semester there, if given the go ahead by UMass.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Ah fuck. That also means I need to be putting more work into preparing to transfer.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hirley0

20141029 ad 2246 | target post Time 8:09 pdT = 6am PDt
THUS} the cruxt of my tail ||| Was if i long in here
My SyS gets hacked so much it make .com Most difficult
SO? i'll probbly go back to the day prior to reboot
about ever thirty days | Making it HARD to know
whiTch Bio.ed to look4
8:08 dropped carrier :

Quote from: Faust on October 24, 2014, 01:12:12 PM

Heh, funny, I was reading this last night in the bus stop and he is in the news again today:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1024/654601-bob-lambert/

iarmit

Shit's getting real now... just submitted my Intent to Graduate packet, scheduled my GREs...

Now all I have to do is decide what in blazes I want to do for my Master's, and who will pay me to do so. Anyone have any thoughts on OSU-
Corvallis?

And how, precisely, does one go about shoehorn-ing the fact they are the #1 dirt nerd in the NE USA into an introductory "pay for me and my
tuition to come do your research" email? Suppose I really should look into writing a cv, no?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on October 29, 2014, 05:54:28 AM
Registration for spring semester begins next freakin' week. So, I had to email the department head and ask him for a list of what courses were being offered and when. I just woke up from a brief sleep and saw that he had sent it. I've still got some time to tweak it for time and to contact UMass and ask them just how badly they need me to actually graduate from Bunker Hill before transferring or if I can just transfer regardless and take the necessary classes there (man's gotta work and there's a big chunk of time in between two classes that would allow me to commute back to work, sign in, work for 15 minutes, sign out and then go back to school  :lulz:)

But it looks like it will be:
Environmental Microbiology (elective. The other Microbiology course I took is clinical and is meant for Nursing or Biotech programs)
Molecular Biotechnology (elective, and a capstone course)
General Chemistry I
General Physics II

Total of 17 credits

This would basically leave Calculus I and General Chemistry II as the only classes left I had to take.

Other electives that I have the option for but decided against in favor Micro and Molecular (because that's more in line with what I want to do) were Population Ecology (conflicts schedulewise with Molecular) and Interpretation of Scientific Research (useful, but again. I'm keeping that one as a backup elective)

Invariably, since there's only one time slot for each of these bio electives and BHCC has more students than it can handle, I'm going to have to be sitting at my computer as soon as the courses become available. Which blows, but it will be my last semester there, if given the go ahead by UMass.

I don't know about Mass, but Oregon does a dual-enrollment thing. Even if they don't it just sounds like a normal transfer application.

My next term is looking like a cakewalk, compared to this term at least; Cell bio, Neurophysiology II, and TAing Perception, and then Borneo over spring break. Technically I'm taking 18 credits because Borneo is 4 credits and the TA is 4 practicum credits, but the actual school/homework workload is only 10 credits.

I can't wait until the end of the term; my immune system is not handling this term very well.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: iarmit on October 29, 2014, 02:48:34 PM
Shit's getting real now... just submitted my Intent to Graduate packet, scheduled my GREs...

Now all I have to do is decide what in blazes I want to do for my Master's, and who will pay me to do so. Anyone have any thoughts on OSU-
Corvallis?

And how, precisely, does one go about shoehorn-ing the fact they are the #1 dirt nerd in the NE USA into an introductory "pay for me and my
tuition to come do your research" email? Suppose I really should look into writing a cv, no?

All I really know about OSU is that they're the big agricultural school in Oregon. That, and they're part of the Oregon MPH program.