News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 05, 2014, 04:08:23 PM
As far as the physics for STEM major and physics for non-STEM majors, it's probably for the same reason they offer attenuated versions of all of the sciences for non-science-majors; so that people who are not science nerds can fulfill their basic science requirements in a field they have some interest in and graduate. I'm not saying that I agree with it, but most people just don't have the interest or training to do well in General Chemistry or Principles of Biology just for funzies. Just like they have classes like "History of Western Civilization" and "Understanding Architecture" for those of us who just want to get our requirements out of the way so we can get back to SCIENCE.

I once took Rock and Roll History and laughed all semester long as I did what I normally do anyway for homework. I did a paper on on Iron Maiden song.  :lulz:

I got an A for the whole damn class. It fulfilled my humanities requirement. Even Dr. S got a good laugh out of the idea.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Actually, it was a kinda cool class, as it gave me a better understanding of the history of rock/metal, as well as suggested a few bands I'd never even have heard of otherwise.

The coolest part was when I did that paper on Sister Awake by the Tea Party, and was like, damn. This song is way more complicated than even a fan who happens to also be a musician realizes. I also got to use the phrase, "sarod solo"
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

I have another midterm on Monday. After my last midterms.

ETERNAL. MIDTERM. LAND.

Then finals.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on November 07, 2014, 03:54:44 AM
I have another midterm on Monday. After my last midterms.

ETERNAL. MIDTERM. LAND.

Then finals.

Yes.

I just finished midterms, which means I have a midterm on Wednesday followed by a midterm on Thursday.

I also have to produce a first draft for a meta-representation of systems. And I have the freedom to make WHATEVER I WANT. I'm trying to come up with a way to do this in glass.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I talked to my advisor yesterday, who gave me the green light on Peru. She told me that they are "very flexible" with what Honors students do, and that if I can come up with a rationale for applying something to my Honors credits they'll do it.

So basically, I am going to Borneo and then to Peru, taking one 4-credit seminar class this Spring and a thesis class next Fall, writing a thesis, and that's it for Honors. Now I just need to get into a lab... I have a volunteer application, but it's not exactly the lab I'm sure I want to commit 9 months to, so I'm going to email Dr. Crespo to ask whether he has any suggestions for me.

I seriously should have done this school thing 20 years ago.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Suu

Estimated costs for my Turkey trip is only $3000 including airfare, room and board, spending money, a weekend in Ankara and a weekend in Cappadocia. That is meager compared to everything I've seen.

This is the site: http://www.cadirhoyuk.com/a-day-in-photos.html

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on November 07, 2014, 10:00:45 PM
Estimated costs for my Turkey trip is only $3000 including airfare, room and board, spending money, a weekend in Ankara and a weekend in Cappadocia. That is meager compared to everything I've seen.

This is the site: http://www.cadirhoyuk.com/a-day-in-photos.html

That sounds pretty awesome! Hooray for travel!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Today I decided that I am NOT taking Cell bio from the same professor I'm taking Molecular from. SCREW THIS GUY. I talked to Kim, another high-achieving student I know from Bridges, and she took him for both classes and got a C in both. A C. Kim is a straight-A virology student, and she's taking both classes again (from other instructors) to improve her grade.

I probably won't end up with a C, but I'd have to get 95% or better on both of the next two tests to get an A, and honestly, I don't think I can make that happen; the test questions are too fucking random. If I get a C I'll retake it, but I'm sure as fuck going to wait a term to take Cell with Rosenstiel.

If I'd known I would have taken Molecular this winter, because Stedman's teaching it and he's supposed to be awesome.

The good news is that not taking Cell this Winter opens me up to taking Neuropharmacology, so I'm taking that, Intro Genetics, and Advanced Neurophysiology. In Spring I can take Cell, Cognition, and whatever 400-level honors seminar sounds good, then maybe knock out a couple more Psych classes over summer before Peru.

Suu

I hate asshole professors like that. Either they're grading on an impossible curve, or they're trying to prove something. Ugh.