News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Took my Cell Bio final today. Felt pretty confident about that. There were a couple of enzymatic pathways that I was shaky on in the sense of what the enzymes and proteins were actually named, but I was able to describe what was happening.

Still no word on the physics grade. Which has me bummedcited, for lack of a better word. It's like the anticipation you feel with Christmas when you're a very young child and have no concept of time and December is very long, but with a sense of impending doom.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 19, 2014, 01:04:12 AM
Took my Cell Bio final today. Felt pretty confident about that. There were a couple of enzymatic pathways that I was shaky on in the sense of what the enzymes and proteins were actually named, but I was able to describe what was happening.

Still no word on the physics grade. Which has me bummedcited, for lack of a better word. It's like the anticipation you feel with Christmas when you're a very young child and have no concept of time and December is very long, but with a sense of impending doom.

I hope it all ends up being good news!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 19, 2014, 01:29:40 AM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 19, 2014, 01:04:12 AM

I hope it all ends up being good news!

I'm definitely going to pass Cell Bio, even if it's a C (I'm expecting B-ish). Physics is the question mark, since he confirmed around midterms that failing didn't mean that you were failing. He said if you get an A on the final, you get an A, otherwise he has to calculate the grade.

I know I didn't get an A on the final.

But, getting back to Cell Bio, my Geminivirus presentation got a 95% and the deductions were due solely to my nervousness. Funny how that works. If there's 200 of you and I'm with 4 other people and playing a guitar, I don't care. I'm a badass. If it's 15 of you and it's just me, you're going to hear "um" more than "the"

Nephew Twiddleton

It's definitely a confidence thing. It's the same sort of stage fright I used to get back in 2006.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hate public speaking, and the smaller the audience, the more I hate it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 19, 2014, 02:29:59 AM

And that's a bizarre thing. The smaller the audience, the worse it really is. Mathematically it doesn't work out.

Nephew Twiddleton

I will say this though. Aside from Microbiology, Cell was my favorite, and I really, really liked my professor. I had a bit of a grade dip that corresponded with my friend's untimely death, but it was a really interesting course, and the professor was probably the most approachable one I've ever had, to the point where she said my coat was awesome, brought up Doctor Who because of my tee shirt, and mentioned the Necronomicon in passing during lecture while saying "looking over in that part of the room" to which I later responded, "Awesome HP Lovecraft reference" and she said, "Oh, you had to get all classy, I was talking about Evil Dead"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 19, 2014, 02:34:43 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 19, 2014, 02:29:59 AM

And that's a bizarre thing. The smaller the audience, the worse it really is. Mathematically it doesn't work out.

It's because a large audience is an amorphous mass that will tend to respond as a single multicellular organism, kind of like a slime mold. With a large audience you're really only speaking to one entity: the blob named "Audience". With a small audience, you're talking to 6-35 individuals, most of whom know you personally and are hoping you do well. That's a lot of pressure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 19, 2014, 02:40:53 AM
I will say this though. Aside from Microbiology, Cell was my favorite, and I really, really liked my professor. I had a bit of a grade dip that corresponded with my friend's untimely death, but it was a really interesting course, and the professor was probably the most approachable one I've ever had, to the point where she said my coat was awesome, brought up Doctor Who because of my tee shirt, and mentioned the Necronomicon in passing during lecture while saying "looking over in that part of the room" to which I later responded, "Awesome HP Lovecraft reference" and she said, "Oh, you had to get all classy, I was talking about Evil Dead"

She sounds awesome, and Cell sounds awesome! What book did you use? I wish I'd taken lower-division Cell & Micro to help prep me for upper-division work, but I was out of electives. I think it would have REALLY helped though.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 19, 2014, 03:51:44 AM

She sounds awesome, and Cell sounds awesome! What book did you use? I wish I'd taken lower-division Cell & Micro to help prep me for upper-division work, but I was out of electives. I think it would have REALLY helped though.

Essential Cell Biology, Third Edition, Alberts, Bray, Hopkin, Johnson, Lewis, Raff, Roberts, Walter

Not a bad book actually. Even came with a CD ROM. Which I never used because my CD drive crapped out permanently.

Nephew Twiddleton

First day of class, she asked us all to say what our favorite anything was.

At the time, the only non-biology uniform that I had that would be readily recognizable to anyone else was Trekkie.

So she was like, Kirk or Picard, and I almost said, what about the other three? and then settled for "all of it"

Nephew Twiddleton

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 19, 2014, 04:14:07 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 19, 2014, 03:51:44 AM

Essential Cell Biology, Third Edition, Alberts, Bray, Hopkin, Johnson, Lewis, Raff, Roberts, Walter

Not a bad book actually. Even came with a CD ROM. Which I never used because my CD drive crapped out permanently.

That's the same author as primaried my Mol Bio text, and as far as I know we're using that text for Cell in Spring term. Makes me REALLY wish I'd taken lower-division Micro & Cell! It probably would have made the upper-division work way easier.

Nephew Twiddleton

So, I'm not sure if I mentioned, but I got accepted to a winter bridge session weeklong Biotech seminar at UMass Lowell, shuttle provided by Bunker Hill, free lunch. I'm a little on the fence because of missed work potential, but at the same time, it's extra lab experience, particularly in applied biology. The tricky part is that it effects how much I can put towards tuition for spring semester, possibly.

At the same time, I'm transferring all of my online materials from Summer Semester into various MS documents, but that's pretty tedious.