News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As I've learned in terms past and learned again tonight, the problem with having Facebook open for comic relief/brain rest while I'm studying is not so much that I can't resist looking, as that there are two of my friends in particular who absolutely cannot accept "Oh hi, I'm studying, just have Facebook open to glance at once in a while but I need to focus on my book" without seeing it as a personal challenge to see how much of my attention they can get by constantly sending me chat messages. Which, despite appearing to have a setting for turning off chat, Facebook still pops up on my screen as a chat message.

I need to just get better at ignoring them, even when they go for bait & switches like "Holy shit I forgot to tell you something!" or "Oh, I hate to interrupt you but this is important..."

It's never important. Not even once has it been important. It's just how they get me to respond so they can tie me up in chat for 15 minutes. "But first you just have to look at this one thing..." No I don't, dude. I really don't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Your FB friends sound like selfish dicks.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 07, 2015, 01:04:49 PM
Your FB friends sound like selfish dicks.

These two are particularly needy IRL friends who also happen to be on Facebook. But yeah, they kind of are a combination of self-absorbed and clueless.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think they have self-esteem issues and if I don't respond to them they spiral into "OMG IS SHE MAD AT ME WHAT'S WRONG???"

It's really irritating, and it would be nice if I could just have FB open in my browser window without it being evident to the world that I'm online. And it would be nice if there was truly a way to turn off chat.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I had an income tax law class scheduled. They cancelled it. Sure as hell wasn't looking forward to the subject matter, but it was my only class in my major this term.

Trying to replace it with photoshop. Figure if I'm not going to be doing anything academically useful this term, I may as well load up on things that could be recreationally useful.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on January 07, 2015, 03:57:17 PM
I had an income tax law class scheduled. They cancelled it. Sure as hell wasn't looking forward to the subject matter, but it was my only class in my major this term.

Trying to replace it with photoshop. Figure if I'm not going to be doing anything academically useful this term, I may as well load up on things that could be recreationally useful.

Photoshop sounds like fun!

We should try to get a beer, I dunno, sometime. I TA until almost 10 tonight, so not tonight. But another night.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 07, 2015, 04:00:14 PM

We should try to get a beer, I dunno, sometime. I TA until almost 10 tonight, so not tonight. But another night.

Except for my workout class, I'm all online this term. Doing an improv thing every other Thursday up near Alberta. Outside of that, I'm wide open.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on January 07, 2015, 04:29:16 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 07, 2015, 04:00:14 PM

Except for my workout class, I'm all online this term. Doing an improv thing every other Thursday up near Alberta. Outside of that, I'm wide open.

I am actually free most evenings, which is unusual for me. The exceptions are Monday and Wednesday. I just can't do late nights because my mornings are hella early.

I am considering taking an online class in Spring, but I generally hate them so we'll see!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This term my schedule allows time for SWIMMING, which I am going to go do shortly.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am totally procrastinating reading the chapter on drug administration, and I don't even know why because it's really interesting.

Cain

Because deep down you know that the DEA are the good guys, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 09, 2015, 09:06:10 AM
Because deep down you know that the DEA are the good guys, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's probably good that the internet closes down on weekends, or I'd never get any studying done.

All but one of my classes are currently in the "review" stage, and I am finding it distinctly difficult to do the assigned readings because boring. Mendelian genetics and the chromosomal basis of heredity, really?

I already did the reading for the other class. It was nice.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 10, 2015, 05:01:23 PM
It's probably good that the internet closes down on weekends, or I'd never get any studying done.

All but one of my classes are currently in the "review" stage, and I am finding it distinctly difficult to do the assigned readings because boring. Mendelian genetics and the chromosomal basis of heredity, really?

I already did the reading for the other class. It was nice.

There's a lot of unnecessary overlap.

I remember starting off Intro to Biotech, I was like, "yes, yes, yes, DNA, RNA and nitrogenous base pairing, WatsonNCrick, GCTA/GCUA/GTFO can we STFU and actually get on with something new?" Now, I learned new shit in that class but the first two or three weeks were why-did-I-get-up-this-early-on-Saturday.

It's a necessary overlap, I guess, but it would be nice to cut down on that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

To clarify the unnecessary/necessary

It would be nice for there to be a clear progression, so that what is review is just a quick touch up. That's probably never going to happen though.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS