My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 13, 2015, 01:43:35 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 10, 2015, 05:01:23 PM
It's probably good that the internet closes down on weekends, or I'd never get any studying done.

All but one of my classes are currently in the "review" stage, and I am finding it distinctly difficult to do the assigned readings because boring. Mendelian genetics and the chromosomal basis of heredity, really?

I already did the reading for the other class. It was nice.

There's a lot of unnecessary overlap.

I remember starting off Intro to Biotech, I was like, "yes, yes, yes, DNA, RNA and nitrogenous base pairing, WatsonNCrick, GCTA/GCUA/GTFO can we STFU and actually get on with something new?" Now, I learned new shit in that class but the first two or three weeks were why-did-I-get-up-this-early-on-Saturday.

It's a necessary overlap, I guess, but it would be nice to cut down on that.

Yuhp.

Thing is, I feel like I need to read those chapters because what if they hid something new in there?  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The guy I sit next to in Psychopharmacology and Neurophysiology II, who is a charming and funny man, told me he hasn't done any of the readings for Neurophysiology II and that he finds it boring. He also announced with some distain that he doesn't take notes. OK BUDDY. HAVE FUN WITH THAT.

I don't know how he could possibly know it's boring if he hasn't done the readings, it's an almost entirely self-directed course where the purpose is to get really familiar with brain function and then research and present on a subtopic of your choice. It's also designed to give wannabe grad students a peek inside the world of neuroscience research, with presenters coming from OHSU, a tour of the primate center, etc. Today we had a neuroscience student come in and show us his MRI from having a large brain tumor discovered while he was volunteering in someone else's lab!

Basically it's the funnest class ever, there are going to be monkeys and brains and stories from grad students and we can research what we want and maybe even have a chance to talk to the researcher who is all up in that Huntington's research.   
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm thinking about my "other science" options and wondering if there's any point in taking biochemistry if I've already taken molecular biology.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Week 2 of being a TA. The main thing I have learned so far is that it is incredibly difficult for apparently perfectly intelligent college seniors to FOLLOW SIMPLE DIRECTIONS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2015, 02:15:18 AM
It's probably good that the internet closes down on weekends, or I'd never get any studying done.

All but one of my classes are currently in the "review" stage, and I am finding it distinctly difficult to do the assigned readings because boring. Mendelian genetics and the chromosomal basis of heredity, really?

I remember starting off Intro to Biotech, I was like, "yes, yes, yes, DNA, RNA and nitrogenous base pairing, WatsonNCrick, GCTA/GCUA/GTFO can we STFU and actually get on with something new?" Now, I learned new shit in that class but the first two or three weeks were why-did-I-get-up-this-early-on-Saturday.

Yuhp.

Thing is, I feel like I need to read those chapters because what if they hid something new in there?  :lol:

That's the maddening part. Because there might be, but there probably isn't.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 13, 2015, 05:04:23 AM

Yuhp.

So far there haven't been. BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.  :lol:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2015, 05:32:11 AM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 13, 2015, 05:04:23 AM

Yuhp.

So far there haven't been. BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.  :lol:

:lol:

Nephew Twiddleton

Probably a better laughing gif:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Don Coyote

I feel like such a slacker. Conceivably I could have applied to MA programs during my final quarter, but sanity. So, I basically can either try to rush for the few programs, or take the time to do everything gooder, which means almost the entire year.

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm taking one course this semester. Population Ecology, which will transfer over as Population Biology, which is required.

Environmental Microbiology got cancelled, and I'm hoping to take Microbiology when I get to UMass anyway.

Molecular Biotechnology will transfer but won't count towards any core courses.

I'm good with this. My last semester at BHCC is going to be kinda relaxed, and as George's lab partner for one last time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on January 13, 2015, 01:02:57 PM
I feel like such a slacker. Conceivably I could have applied to MA programs during my final quarter, but sanity. So, I basically can either try to rush for the few programs, or take the time to do everything gooder, which means almost the entire year.

Waiting a year seems like probably the most reasonable bet. I mean, it gives you way more time to find programs that you are really interested in, and polish your application.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 14, 2015, 02:43:32 AM
I'm taking one course this semester. Population Ecology, which will transfer over as Population Biology, which is required.

Environmental Microbiology got cancelled, and I'm hoping to take Microbiology when I get to UMass anyway.

Molecular Biotechnology will transfer but won't count towards any core courses.

I'm good with this. My last semester at BHCC is going to be kinda relaxed, and as George's lab partner for one last time.

I want to take Population Ecology eventually, it sounds interesting and probably relevant to epigenetics.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that next term I'm taking cell bio, cognition, and an honors seminar but I don't know what. I'm hoping they are going to offer one that overlaps with biology.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have taken to calling my study friends the "Biological Reservoir Dogs". In return, one of them has taught me the insult "fuckbuttons".