If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 14, 2015, 04:17:38 AM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 14, 2015, 02:43:32 AM
I'm taking one course this semester. Population Ecology, which will transfer over as Population Biology, which is required.

Environmental Microbiology got cancelled, and I'm hoping to take Microbiology when I get to UMass anyway.

Molecular Biotechnology will transfer but won't count towards any core courses.

I'm good with this. My last semester at BHCC is going to be kinda relaxed, and as George's lab partner for one last time.

I want to take Population Ecology eventually, it sounds interesting and probably relevant to epigenetics.

I was reluctant to take it, at first. Obviously, Environmental Micro is directly relevant to my career goal, if it had staying power (pity, I was looking forward to having Prof. Guilmette again). But now that I'm definitely transferring to a specific school, I have to go with whatever will make that transition more efficient. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting topic and I am interested in it. If I understand it correctly it basically falls under the category of systems biology. Which also has overlap with my interests.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 14, 2015, 04:23:30 AM
I'm taking one course this semester. Population Ecology, which will transfer over as Population Biology, which is required.

Environmental Microbiology got cancelled, and I'm hoping to take Microbiology when I get to UMass anyway.

I'm good with this. My last semester at BHCC is going to be kinda relaxed, and as George's lab partner for one last time.

I want to take Population Ecology eventually, it sounds interesting and probably relevant to epigenetics.

I was reluctant to take it, at first. Obviously, Environmental Micro is directly relevant to my career goal, if it had staying power (pity, I was looking forward to having Prof. Guilmette again). But now that I'm definitely transferring to a specific school, I have to go with whatever will make that transition more efficient. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting topic and I am interested in it. If I understand it correctly it basically falls under the category of systems biology. Which also has overlap with my interests.

Yeah, once I got to a certain point it became more about whether a class applies to my major than whether I find it interesting. I still have some wiggle room, (7 credits of "other science" that I can apply to almost anything from chemistry, physics, or geology) but not a whole TON of wiggle room.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 14, 2015, 04:28:34 AM

Yeah, once I got to a certain point it became more about whether a class applies to my major than whether I find it interesting. I still have some wiggle room, (7 credits of "other science" that I can apply to almost anything from chemistry, physics, or geology) but not a whole TON of wiggle room.

It's a funny switch in mindset.

"I'll take all of the classes!!!"

Eh.... wait. Is this going to transfer/am I going to be learning this in a different 300 level class anyway?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 14, 2015, 05:44:33 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 14, 2015, 04:28:34 AM

It's a funny switch in mindset.

"I'll take all of the classes!!!"

Eh.... wait. Is this going to transfer/am I going to be learning this in a different 300 level class anyway?

Yep, sometimes someone will suggest a class and I'll say "Can't, I'm out of electives".

I'm SO damn out of electives.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

I was short on tuition for one class, so I said fuck it.

Hung out with George and his girlfriend last night, had to break the news to him.

He had previously sent me a link for getting microbiology supplies which sparked a conversation.

George is now encouraging me to do a 1 credit academic agreement with Bunker Hill, experimenting on microbiology. I have some of the equipment in my room, but I would definitely need an incubator, and access to tests that help you determine specific species of bacteria.

This is to say, I have a minor thing that I might investigate for some credit. I might do it for shits and giggles. I don't have a hypothesis, but rather two conflicting things that I can investigate.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 18, 2015, 08:55:40 PM
I was short on tuition for one class, so I said fuck it.

Hung out with George and his girlfriend last night, had to break the news to him.

He had previously sent me a link for getting microbiology supplies which sparked a conversation.

George is now encouraging me to do a 1 credit academic agreement with Bunker Hill, experimenting on microbiology. I have some of the equipment in my room, but I would definitely need an incubator, and access to tests that help you determine specific species of bacteria.

This is to say, I have a minor thing that I might investigate for some credit. I might do it for shits and giggles. I don't have a hypothesis, but rather two conflicting things that I can investigate.

That sounds like fun!

Right now I am just getting through the term. I need to write my essays for this summer's study abroad, and also to decide what labs I'm going to apply to work in. I need to start thinking about GRE prep, since I have to apply to grad school this fall.

I feel a little overwhelmed, even though nothing is really happening to overwhelm me. It's entirely mental.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This week is really crazy, though. Maybe that's why. It's a short week but there are going to be two tests, a project group meeting, I'm heading a study group, meeting with my TA team to grade papers, a talk on sound processing, a makeup recitation (because of the holiday), a meeting about the Borneo trip, and a lecture by the PI of one of the labs I'm interested in. Basically multiple things a day on top of classes. At least the only homework I need to do is read one chapter and try to memorize a bunch of students by face.

Nephew Twiddleton

That does sound crazy busy. George is going on a study abroad in Costa Rica. He's also thinking of hitting up Cuba to compare insect species, now that we're reopening diplomatic relations. Gotta say, I'm a bit jealous.

The thing I would be doing is basically monitoring bacterial population changes in my mouth with the use of mouthwash, both in numbers over the course of the day and in species that make it in there.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 21, 2015, 12:17:56 AM
That does sound crazy busy. George is going on a study abroad in Costa Rica. He's also thinking of hitting up Cuba to compare insect species, now that we're reopening diplomatic relations. Gotta say, I'm a bit jealous.

The thing I would be doing is basically monitoring bacterial population changes in my mouth with the use of mouthwash, both in numbers over the course of the day and in species that make it in there.

That does sound interesting. If you do it I'll be curious about the results.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Today I received two emails from students who apparently don't understand the homework this week, revealing that they haven't bothered to do the assigned reading, or even skim it, because skimming it would make it completely fucking obvious exactly what they're supposed to do. The entire assignment is all but handed to them on page two.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 21, 2015, 12:37:17 AM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 21, 2015, 12:17:56 AM

That does sound interesting. If you do it I'll be curious about the results.

I'm going to try to find a way to do it one way or the other, even if it's not under the aegis of BHCC. I'm also probably going to have to revisit a couple of procedures, but I could probably ask Prof. Guilmette to... huh. Her Environmental Microbiology class was cancelled. Maybe she could be my supervisor, during the time that she would have had the class, providing it wasn't cancelled for any reasons on her end.

Cain

After not being able to access my university email for three weeks (thanks, old laptop), I finally got my grade back on my counter-terrorism essay.  15/20, with a mark deducted for lateness (because, apparently, the University decided the 10 day extension was not a 10 day extension from the due date of the essay, but from when I asked for the extension, the most ass-backward system I have ever heard of, and likely designed by the same person who came up with our weighted score system).

I'm happy with that.  I was sick, working bizarre hours, had a malfunctioning computer and was moving.  I could have gotten better, sure, but that is more than acceptable.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2015, 08:18:41 AM
After not being able to access my university email for three weeks (thanks, old laptop), I finally got my grade back on my counter-terrorism essay.  15/20, with a mark deducted for lateness (because, apparently, the University decided the 10 day extension was not a 10 day extension from the due date of the essay, but from when I asked for the extension, the most ass-backward system I have ever heard of, and likely designed by the same person who came up with our weighted score system).

I'm happy with that.  I was sick, working bizarre hours, had a malfunctioning computer and was moving.  I could have gotten better, sure, but that is more than acceptable.

I know that feeling. It's how I felt about my molecular bio class last term.

I think there's something about doing the best you can under stressful circumstances that makes a grade more satisfying, even though it's not the grade you would have gotten under more ideal circumstances.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm stressing about getting a lab position. I need lab experience to put on my grad school application, by this fall at the latest. I'm meeting Dr. Field this Friday, and I am fairly certain I can get into his lab because of his connection with Dr. Crespo, but he's a behavioral neuroscientist and I'm not certain that will help me that much when it comes to grad school, considering that I'm more interested in cellular level stuff.

Plus I need to take the GRE this summer oh god oh god oh god.

Cain

I've found offering your services for free tends to be able to land you the entry level jobs.

Unfortunately, in our supposedly capitalistic society, working for free seems to have become something of a standard among the academia-related spheres.  See: every entry level wank-tank job in London, for example.