News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'll probably have to work for free for three to six months, so that I'll have lab expexperience for my grad school application, but assuming I get into grad school I'll be stipended.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm finding it really disheartening how many evolutionary psychologists go straight to sexual selection as an evolutionary mechanism, when given human proclivities offspring survival is a far more parsimonious mechanism. Its just not a very sexy one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Tonight I walked up to my professor telling some people that I'm going to Peru with him this summer.

Now I'm feeling guilty that I haven't actually submitted my application for that. But also at least pretty confident that when I do I'll be accepted

Also I learned that he's actually really socially awkward. Like almost all psychologists. I actually feel like a complete freak among the psychologists, because they are SO AWKWARD AND WEIRD.

Biologists, on the other hand, tend to be outgoing and kind of charming. Maybe that's just me, but generally when I observe them with other people they tend to be like little outspoken flowers who say abruptly unexpected things that make people laugh. Neuroscientists occupy this strangely unself-conscious spot between the two, awkwardly charming and a little too uncensored in a slightly delightful way.   

Psychologists can also be a little too intense, in an "I've been having this very intense conversation with you for 20 minutes now and I kind of want to get away" kind of way.   

I feel like I occupy a weird space that is midway between psychologist, biologist, and chemist.

I'm probably just drunken shoegazing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a midterm today. One of the things I'm supposed to be able to do today is identify what's going on in a picture like this:

Could you point out the axonal cross-section?

I CAN'T.

Cain

Pyschologising psychologists, in my experience they usually get into the field because they want to understand people better.  Either that or for the mind-altering drugs or potential thereof.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 23, 2015, 03:16:58 PM
Pyschologising psychologists, in my experience they usually get into the field because they want to understand people better.  Either that or for the mind-altering drugs or potential thereof.

I think you're right about that; many people I know studied psychology because they wanted to fix themselves.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 22, 2015, 05:42:23 PM
I'm finding it really disheartening how many evolutionary psychologists go straight to sexual selection as an evolutionary mechanism, when given human proclivities offspring survival is a far more parsimonious mechanism. Its just not a very sexy one.

Sexual selection does a better job of keeping a driver at the wheel, as well. That may be a big reason why it's so attractive.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on January 23, 2015, 05:36:50 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 22, 2015, 05:42:23 PM

Sexual selection does a better job of keeping a driver at the wheel, as well. That may be a big reason why it's so attractive.

That does make a certain amount of sense; it's appealing because it makes evolution seem a little less arbitrary.

Given the reality of human (and most primate) mating habits, though, not to mention our lengthy gestation periods and relatively few young-per-lifetime, mate selection is unlikely to have anywhere close to the impact of offspring survival on the direction of trait selection.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Today I found out that I need to be vaccinated against Hep A, Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, and Rabies for my trip to Borneo. Maybe Hep B if I'm feeling frisky.

Also, I won't have computer access for mucht of it because evidently I'll be in the jungle. I'll try to take lots of pictures, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Shit's getting real, you guys. I'm about to enter my final year and I'm getting adept at scheduling five or six different obligations into a single day, plus hobnobbing and giving them my elevator speech.

I'm almost like a real grownup!

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2015, 02:50:04 AM
Today I found out that I need to be vaccinated against Hep A, Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, and Rabies for my trip to Borneo. Maybe Hep B if I'm feeling frisky.

Also, I won't have computer access for mucht of it because evidently I'll be in the jungle. I'll try to take lots of pictures, though.

Those can get expensive. We looked at the vaccination costs before our Colombia trip and just said fuck it, we probably won't contract malaria in the third largest city in the western hemisphere.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 24, 2015, 03:21:22 AM

Those can get expensive. We looked at the vaccination costs before our Colombia trip and just said fuck it, we probably won't contract malaria in the third largest city in the western hemisphere.

Apparently the older malaria treatment with more side effects is way cheaper, so I'll probably do that, since I'll be in rural areas for a bit.

Much of this also might be useful when I go to Peru this summer.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, one can hope, right?

minuspace

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2015, 09:17:23 AM

Apparently the older malaria treatment with more side effects is way cheaper, so I'll probably do that, since I'll be in rural areas for a bit.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2015, 09:18:01 AM
I mean, one can hope, right

Fuck, at this point, I'd take both the doxy and the Lariam, to be safe - knowing people to have contracted the "bad air" on either - however, not both together.  It might be overkill, still that depends on exposure.  Is there dengue in the region?  Also a pest better not left neglected.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2015, 09:17:23 AM

Can confirm.

One particular variant does make you photosensitive, however.  I do not recommend that.  Another one is taken on a weekly basis, with somewhat less severe side effects.  That is the better one to get.