News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 12, 2015, 12:52:36 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 12, 2015, 12:41:27 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 11, 2015, 03:52:11 PM
Oh and BEST THING! I can probably parlay some of my work in the lab into a senior thesis. If not the lab, then surely I can shoehorn something about my Peru trip and sustainability into some sort of thesis project.

On a non-neuroscience note, I'm really interested in the urban relationship with wildlife, and particularly predators. As wild animals move back into regions they had previously been driven out of, ie. cities, humans will have to come up with an approach to cope with them. This approach is unlikely to take the form of "trap and shoot", as it has in the past; for the most part, we've moved beyond that and are more likely to take a conservationist, sustainable approach to cohabiting with wildlife.

So then, my question becomes, what does that approach look like? I'm not a wildlife biologist, but I will probably take a wildlife management class to try to get some insight into this problem. I'm starting to get some ideas, which started with an essay I wrote a year ago for my Honors College application, about wildness in the city.

I'd be really happy if my senior thesis was something that could be presented to the Urban Planning folks as a viable pathway for guiding city interaction with our nearby wilderness.
That sounds fascinating!

I think wildness management in cities would for a large part be crowd psychology. Your knowledge of neuroscience may be tangentially useful there. Your proven insight in human behaviour will certainly be of use.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I was thinking more along the lines of wildlife corridors, greenspaces, nesting/denning habitat, and "So hey, what are these coyotes going to eat, anyway?"

The thing is, they're already here, so we have a few basic choices: trap and remove them (expensive, potentially dangerous, temporary fix, they come back), kill them (runs contrary to the conservation/sustainability direction society is moving in) or figure out how to accommodate them.

That sounds about right, I'll just brainstorm a bit on the subject, most of my points will be things you already thought about or even mentioned already.

Step one is finding out why they are there, were they always there or have they just arrived? What changed in the last couple decades that could have brought them back or caused a population boom?
Step two is risk assessment, not just what do they eat and do you mind if they eat that? But also what pathogens do they carry? do they have parasites or symbiotes that carry pathogens or are themselves dangerous to humans, pets, or livestock? I think these are the main factors to consider., though there probably are many more smaller ones.
Step three is can they be integrated in a profitable way? Maybe this can be a tourist attraction? Or they could fulfill an important role in managing and/or stabilizing the local ecosystem?
Step four is can human behaviour or municipal guidelines be changed so the damage can be mitigated? Garbage collection in animal-proof bins instead of loose bags is the easiest and best example here.
Step five is these steps are looking more and more like options, though just now one became a comment. Things are spinning out of control.

Step five-and-a-half is DON'T MESS WITH A STABLE (AND DIVERSE) ECOSYSTEM.

Step six is actively denying the unwanted species' needs. Limiting reproduction is best, if the unwanted species has specific courtship requirements that can easily be changed in your city then the problem is under control. If that is not the case making their nesting sites unsuitable is the next step. Try to avoid attack their food supply to the point where they go hungry, most species can adapt their diet and that is very risky. This is only a viable tactic if the species is in a food-driven population boom. Quite a lot of species' population growth is not limited by food but by other factors, trying to limit their food may just convince them to start eating your crops or pets.
But I've started to repeat myself.
Step seven is chemically or surgically sterilizing one or both of the genders. (sidenote: neuter your cats, they are genocidal at their current artificially elevated population levels) It is important to be cost-effective here, you want to sterilize the smallest number of animals while maximizing your effect on effective reproduction. Factors to consider are mate selection, promiscuity, and long-term consequences. Mate selection behaviour can tell you which gender to target, Lions can best be made extinct by sterilizing the most dominant males. High promiscuity species can be best attacked by sterilizing the females or both sexes. Low promiscuity species allow either male or female sterilization programs. Regarding long-term consequences: DON'T MESS WITH A STABLE (AND DIVERSE) ECOSYSTEM.
Obviously all sterilization programs work better if the sterilization does not negatively impact the sex-drive. Preferably it would even increase their sex-drive.
Step eight is moving the city. It is a big step and should not be taken lightly but it is better than the next step.
Step omega is either trap-and-remove or kill them, but each of these options is pointless and wasteful.

Brainstorm has lost momentum, it is more like a breeze now.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am really more interested in ways to apply a conservationist, ecological model of cohabiting with wildlife; think Systems Science, rather than the Forestry Management model of the 1950's.

FWIW we've been living with the urban coyotes here in my neighborhood for probably about eight years.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2015, 02:06:45 AM
So, my latest essay is going to upset people.

Because its to do with Nazis.  And Jews.  And Communists.  Basically, the question is the very trollish and devious "could opposition to the Nazis be called terrorist", or something to that effect.

As it turns out, yes some of it can.  I especially think the Belarussian Soviet Partisans, who executed schoolteachers and minor government officials for the crime of "collaboration", certainly qualify (and likely represented an attempt by the Soviet Union to wipe out any sectors of educated, middle class resistance for when they fully assumed control of those regions again). 

But the other major groups who could be considered terroristic in nature would be...well, the right wing Zionist groups in Poland.  The way in which they took over the Warsaw Ghetto, almost overnight, killing Jewish collaborators and police officers, ghetto administrative officials and Nazi officers reads like a classic tale of urban guerrilla warfare from South America.

And, of course, that is going to upset people.  Because even though, by a certain standard these groups were pretty nasty, they were fighting the Nazis.  Who, you know, were trying to kill them all.

So I can see this paper coming back to bite me in the arse.

Nazis and Jews and Communists, oh my!

I really like your premise, please let us know how it goes. I hope your professor has the brains to overlook the inflammatory implications and see the kernel of holy shit that's a completely valid point.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I got 100% on my neurophysiology midterm. I can't tell whether this is a really easy class, or whether my pre-existing obsession is making it go more smoothly for me. I suspect maybe some of both.

Cain

My professor should be fine with it, if its the one who actually set the question who does the marking.  During our "terrorism in history" classes, only two of us showed up for the final tutorial, myself and another student.  We had a nice, long chat about the Eastern Front in WWII, and how much of a horror show that was.

The question is whether he does the marking.  Electives module is kinda shit in that regard, a new lecturer every two weeks.  Also the whole field of historical terrorism is considered suspect by some people.  But I'm mainly concerned further down the line.  Israel is a big source of counter-terrorism and terrorism studies funding.  And while the pro-Israel crowd are not quite as vocal or crazy in the UK as they are in the USA, they're still pretty vocal at times.

I've decided to add a small section on the French, just to ease people's concerns.  After all, if I'm going to call the French Resistance terrorism, I'm clearly using some other standard than "dark-skinned foreigner with a beard", although French people often do match that description.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 14, 2015, 05:00:38 AM
I am really more interested in ways to apply a conservationist, ecological model of cohabiting with wildlife; think Systems Science, rather than the Forestry Management model of the 1950's.

FWIW we've been living with the urban coyotes here in my neighborhood for probably about eight years.
Agreed, that is why i had my first four points first.

I meant it like this:
IF NOT step X THEN step (X+1)

But i didn't quite get that across.

Consequently the latter steps are only for a worst case scenario.

Or did I misunderstand and did you give that reply because you think humans should adapt to nature instead of the other way around?
I hope you can get that to work.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 14, 2015, 03:58:45 PM

I meant it like this:

Or did I misunderstand and did you give that reply because you think humans should adapt to nature instead of the other way around?

Basically what I'm saying is that there is a lot of sustainability research going on right now, and the entire philosophy of sustainability is working to set up human systems that work without a lot of pushing once set in motion. I would like to explore how that type of theory could be applied to living with wildlife in urban environments. That means going into the project without a list of steps, because the first stage of research is observation. The entire "taking action with a list of steps and contingency plans" approach is escalatory, non-observational, and completely antithetical to beginning a research project.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I appreciate the spirit behind your impulse to try to help, though. Do you have a background in biology? I can't remember.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Unrelated to anything, here is a music video of a very cute coyote riding the Portland light rail.

http://vevo.ly/xGVW3E

A wild coyote hopped on the light rail here in 2002, and then Sleater-Kinney wrote a song about it. Unfortunately, it isn't a very good song and there is no video with a coyote in it. In fact, I don't even recommend clicking this link, it isn't worth your time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI1o39Oxh-w

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 14, 2015, 06:22:35 PM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 14, 2015, 03:58:45 PM

I meant it like this:

Basically what I'm saying is that there is a lot of sustainability research going on right now, and the entire philosophy of sustainability is working to set up human systems that work without a lot of pushing once set in motion. I would like to explore how that type of theory could be applied to living with wildlife in urban environments. That means going into the project without a list of steps, because the first stage of research is observation. The entire "taking action with a list of steps and contingency plans" approach is escalatory, non-observational, and completely antithetical to beginning a research project.
Hmmm, well said and point taken.
Let's just chalk that one up to occupational deformation, my job requires me to make a lot of hard decisions fast.
I wish I didn't have to, it is shaping my thinking and personality in unacceptable ways. At least I have stepped down from the leadership position, I now have a more technical and organisational job. Being responsible for the logistical part of an international high-end brand with the accompanying responsibility but without the power to actually do anything about it was very bad for me.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 14, 2015, 06:26:35 PM
I appreciate the spirit behind your impulse to try to help, though. Do you have a background in biology? I can't remember.

Yeah, I'm a failed biology student. The subject still interests me. So I am always glad when you mention it here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 15, 2015, 12:16:14 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 14, 2015, 06:22:35 PM

I meant it like this:

Hmmm, well said and point taken.
Let's just chalk that one up to occupational deformation, my job requires me to make a lot of hard decisions fast.
I wish I didn't have to, it is shaping my thinking and personality in unacceptable ways. At least I have stepped down from the leadership position, I now have a more technical and organisational job. Being responsible for the logistical part of an international high-end brand with the accompanying responsibility but without the power to actually do anything about it was very bad for me.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 14, 2015, 06:26:35 PM

Yeah, I'm a failed biology student. The subject still interests me. So I am always glad when you mention it here.

Maybe you need to apply some systems science to your job!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

WARNING: Hopelessly boring post ahead.

I just mapped out every class I'm taking for the next year in order to graduate on time, hoping, that is, that there are no weird scheduling conflicts that completely fuck me over.

This is what that looks like:

Spring 2015
Cell biology + lab
Cognitive neuroscience
Scientific Ethics

Summer 2015
Elementary microbiology + lab
Intro to psychopathology
Sustainability & permaculture immersion in Peru

Fall 2015
General Ecology
Microbiology + lab
Physics
Honors thesis workshop

Winter 2016
Neurophysiology (yes, more neurophysiology)
Conservation Biology
Other science (probably an online geology class)
Work on thesis

Spring 2016
Recombinant DNA techniques & lab
Biochemistry
Whatever psych class fits my schedule
Finish thesis

Having a schedule makes me feel secure.
It probably won't go that smoothly, though.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 15, 2015, 12:59:52 AM

I just mapped out every class I'm taking for the next year in order to graduate on time, hoping, that is, that there are no weird scheduling conflicts that completely fuck me over.

Spring 2015
Cell biology + lab
Cognitive neuroscience
Scientific Ethics

Summer 2015
Intro to psychopathology

Fall 2015
General Ecology
Microbiology + lab
Physics
Honors thesis workshop

Winter 2016
Conservation Biology
Work on thesis

Spring 2016
Biochemistry
Finish thesis

Hey if I hop on a plane now, can you hide me in your book bag and sneak me into all your classes?
Those sound interesting.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 15, 2015, 01:32:35 AM

Spring 2015
Cell biology + lab
Cognitive neuroscience
Scientific Ethics

Summer 2015
Intro to psychopathology

Fall 2015
General Ecology
Microbiology + lab
Physics
Honors thesis workshop

Winter 2016
Conservation Biology
Work on thesis

Spring 2016
Biochemistry
Finish thesis

Hey if I hop on a plane now, can you hide me in your book bag and sneak me into all your classes?
Those sound interesting.

We're allowed to have service animals, and there are very few restrictions... maybe I can just convince them you're my Anxiety Belgian.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 15, 2015, 03:09:07 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 15, 2015, 01:32:35 AM

Spring 2015
Cell biology + lab
Cognitive neuroscience
Scientific Ethics

Summer 2015
Intro to psychopathology

Fall 2015
General Ecology
Microbiology + lab
Physics
Honors thesis workshop

Winter 2016
Conservation Biology
Work on thesis

Spring 2016
Biochemistry
Finish thesis

Those sound interesting.

We're allowed to have service animals, and there are very few restrictions... maybe I can just convince them you're my Anxiety Belgian.

:spittake:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.