News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am cloistered in the honors commons until my evening meeting.

One of the freshmen is breathlessly offering me advice on making sure classes will transfer. I don't have the heart to tell her to stick it up a tree.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2015, 09:52:30 AM
My professor should be fine with it, if its the one who actually set the question who does the marking.  During our "terrorism in history" classes, only two of us showed up for the final tutorial, myself and another student.  We had a nice, long chat about the Eastern Front in WWII, and how much of a horror show that was.

The question is whether he does the marking.  Electives module is kinda shit in that regard, a new lecturer every two weeks.  Also the whole field of historical terrorism is considered suspect by some people.  But I'm mainly concerned further down the line.  Israel is a big source of counter-terrorism and terrorism studies funding.  And while the pro-Israel crowd are not quite as vocal or crazy in the UK as they are in the USA, they're still pretty vocal at times.

I've decided to add a small section on the French, just to ease people's concerns.  After all, if I'm going to call the French Resistance terrorism, I'm clearly using some other standard than "dark-skinned foreigner with a beard", although French people often do match that description.

That premise sounds amazing, and I heartily support it (as if my opinion means anything).

I do see why you'd have to tread lightly, though.  I can only imagine some point in the future where you're being vetted for some IR work, and they come across the paper.  If a twitter comment can lay waste to a reputation, just think what a well-written paper can do.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

At least a paper offers context and explanation, although one can nonetheless assume that stupid and/or manipulative people will take quotes out of context.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There's a goddamn power outage on campus today. Apparently Portland's power grid just can't handle all this sunny, mild spring weather.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 15, 2015, 03:09:07 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 15, 2015, 01:32:35 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 15, 2015, 12:59:52 AM
WARNING: Hopelessly boring post ahead.

I just mapped out every class I'm taking for the next year in order to graduate on time, hoping, that is, that there are no weird scheduling conflicts that completely fuck me over.

This is what that looks like:

Spring 2015
Cell biology + lab
Cognitive neuroscience
Scientific Ethics

Summer 2015
Elementary microbiology + lab
Intro to psychopathology
Sustainability & permaculture immersion in Peru

Fall 2015
General Ecology
Microbiology + lab
Physics
Honors thesis workshop

Winter 2016
Neurophysiology (yes, more neurophysiology)
Conservation Biology
Other science (probably an online geology class)
Work on thesis

Spring 2016
Recombinant DNA techniques & lab
Biochemistry
Whatever psych class fits my schedule
Finish thesis

Having a schedule makes me feel secure.
It probably won't go that smoothly, though.
Hey if I hop on a plane now, can you hide me in your book bag and sneak me into all your classes?
Those sound interesting.

We're allowed to have service animals, and there are very few restrictions... maybe I can just convince them you're my Anxiety Belgian.
OK, i'm going to put my money where my mouth is.
IF you get them to send me a letter on official Uni paper saying you can bring an Anxiety Belgian as a service animal THEN I will fly over to join you in one of your classes.
PM me for a mailing address. (yes I want it in dead-tree format)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 18, 2015, 10:35:04 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 15, 2015, 03:09:07 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on February 15, 2015, 01:32:35 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 15, 2015, 12:59:52 AM
WARNING: Hopelessly boring post ahead.

I just mapped out every class I'm taking for the next year in order to graduate on time, hoping, that is, that there are no weird scheduling conflicts that completely fuck me over.

This is what that looks like:

Spring 2015
Cell biology + lab
Cognitive neuroscience
Scientific Ethics

Summer 2015
Elementary microbiology + lab
Intro to psychopathology
Sustainability & permaculture immersion in Peru

Fall 2015
General Ecology
Microbiology + lab
Physics
Honors thesis workshop

Winter 2016
Neurophysiology (yes, more neurophysiology)
Conservation Biology
Other science (probably an online geology class)
Work on thesis

Spring 2016
Recombinant DNA techniques & lab
Biochemistry
Whatever psych class fits my schedule
Finish thesis

Having a schedule makes me feel secure.
It probably won't go that smoothly, though.
Hey if I hop on a plane now, can you hide me in your book bag and sneak me into all your classes?
Those sound interesting.

We're allowed to have service animals, and there are very few restrictions... maybe I can just convince them you're my Anxiety Belgian.
OK, i'm going to put my money where my mouth is.
IF you get them to send me a letter on official Uni paper saying you can bring an Anxiety Belgian as a service animal THEN I will fly over to join you in one of your classes.
PM me for a mailing address. (yes I want it in dead-tree format)

Oh ho HO. It's on like Donkey Kong.  :lol:

Ⅎuᴉzz

If they (and you) actually play along with that, you might wind up going viral and starting a new trend of 'Anxiety Belgians'.
I'm starting to want one already and I don't even understand why.
This is not my signature. I told you to stop following me.

Is it still here? Fuck.

Hm.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am pretty sure that not only can I make it happen, but that I can get credit for it.

Ⅎuᴉzz

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 18, 2015, 11:24:01 PM
I am pretty sure that not only can I make it happen, but that I can get credit for it.

"Get your Anxiety Belgian™ today!"

Is it still here? Fuck.

Hm.

Eater of Clowns

That's not just a niche market, that's an industry. Registering anxietybros.com.

"I don't know, I just don't think I'm prepared for this presentation. A board member is going to be there!"

Pan left, to mildly disheveled but amiable young man. He places a hand on the speaker's shoulder. "It's cool, brah, you got this."

"Thanks anxiety bro!"
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Ⅎuᴉzz

Is it still here? Fuck.

Hm.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 18, 2015, 11:24:01 PM
:eek: Shit.

I'm actually going to have to do this, I know how you get when it comes to furthering your academic career.  :argh!:

I will start saving more money.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Looking foward to my next set of essays...I'm currently leaning towards "Competing analyses of al-Qaeda give rise to competing counter-terrorism responses – Discuss".  Theories on Al-Qaeda?  Sure, I can name 4 different ones off the top of my head.  Hell, I can name an author who gives 4 in the intro to his book, and I'm not including him in that first count.  I mean, we all know it'll basically come down to Sageman versus Hoffman and "bunch of guys" versus "clandestine cells commanded from the Khyber Pass", but getting there will at least not want to make me tear my teeth out in frustration.

As for the other one, I'm leaning towards "To what extent do Richard English's seven policy recommendations in Terrorism: How to Respond apply when conceiving responses to far right terrorism and political violence?"  It's a bit dull, but the problem with the elective essays are that they're a lot shorter than the others.  As such, it's easy to get carried away, try to show off, and end up having to cut most of it and hand in a substandard paper instead.  Which is precisely what happened with my Nazi paper.  Either that or I'll go for "To what extent have governments been 'blind in the right eye'?"

LMNO

I have to say, I really liked your economic analysis in the AI thread.  To me, the non-ideological motivators and deciding factors rounds out the actors, and offers insight into what seems like a very silly narrative.

Cain

Thanks.  It is, of course, only one factor among many, but it's one to consider.  They own oil fields, and are smugging priceless artifacts out of Syria.  Obviously, there's a means to an end element to that, you need money to wage war etc. but it's also quite likely a factor in and of itself for some people in ISIS.