News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

It happens.  I know by the end of my four years at Uni, despite learning some incredibly cool shit (Geopolitics, ethics in conflict, MOAR terrorism), I was also just looking forward to it all being over.  Shut up and give me my credentials.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hope I get some kind of second wind or last gasp, I have a year left. I do get a breather at the end of this term, at least.

I love cell bio but I just can't seem to sit down and read this book. I have about 70 pages this week which is really only ten pages a day if you think about it, and every time I sit down with it I get uncontrollably sleepy.

I'm supposed to draw and label a left sagittal brain view for cognitive neuroscience, and that should sound fun but it just doesn't and fuuuuuuuck I want a nap.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Another possibility is that it could be the doxycycline. I only have two more weeks on it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 13, 2015, 10:01:52 PM
Another possibility is that it could be the doxycycline. I only have two more weeks on it.

"It's never the drugs, Dok."
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 13, 2015, 10:13:17 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 13, 2015, 10:01:52 PM

"It's never the drugs, Dok."

:lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Only problem is that in those two weeks, I have to apply for a grant program that would pay for my lab research, and write a paper about insect diversity in North Borneo, as well as all the midterms.

Seriously thinking about quitting the doxy. The quandary is, if I was exposed to malaria quitting before the course is run could mean I develop it.

But I probably wasn't exposed.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 13, 2015, 10:17:55 PM
Only problem is that in those two weeks, I have to apply for a grant program that would pay for my lab research, and write a paper about insect diversity in North Borneo, as well as all the midterms.

Seriously thinking about quitting the doxy. The quandary is, if I was exposed to malaria quitting before the course is run could mean I develop it.

Malaria is like herpes, though.  Once it's dug in, it's in.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 13, 2015, 10:20:19 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 13, 2015, 10:17:55 PM

Malaria is like herpes, though.  Once it's dug in, it's in.

Ugh.

I guess I'll stay on the stuff. But I hate it.

Zenpatista

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on September 09, 2014, 12:13:30 AM
Here's a few pictures of the campus I'm going to: 

Since it's up in Oro Valley, they've made sure to put pretty plants and rocks next to the road and all around the place, all perfectly just so and "wild" looking.

Hey I taught two semesters of chemistry at that campus many years ago. It was my first time as an adjunct.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Zenpatista on April 14, 2015, 05:16:26 AM

Since it's up in Oro Valley, they've made sure to put pretty plants and rocks next to the road and all around the place, all perfectly just so and "wild" looking.

Hey I taught two semesters of chemistry at that campus many years ago. It was my first time as an adjunct.

Ooooh, is this back when adjunct professors still made enough to keep them above the poverty line??

Zenpatista

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 15, 2015, 05:59:35 AM

Ooooh, is this back when adjunct professors still made enough to keep them above the poverty line??

Not really. $3.2k for 4 credits. It was good work experience and they were organized about it. But it was weird being 1 of 10-20 adjuncts in a department with only 2 full time faculty.

Cain

One more essay to go.  Then dissertation time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Zenpatista on April 17, 2015, 01:20:55 AM

Not really. $3.2k for 4 credits. It was good work experience and they were organized about it. But it was weird being 1 of 10-20 adjuncts in a department with only 2 full time faculty.

But I don't know how long ago it was, or how much time 4 credits is worth in your university system. If you're talking the equivalent of Oregon in 1971, that's a pretty tidy sum.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So my funders are under the impression that I only took 16 credits last term. Not sure whether this affects me or not.

More paperwork.  :kingmeh:

Zenpatista

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 17, 2015, 07:16:42 AM
Quote from: Zenpatista on April 17, 2015, 01:20:55 AM

But I don't know how long ago it was, or how much time 4 credits is worth in your university system. If you're talking the equivalent of Oregon in 1971, that's a pretty tidy sum.

It was about 7 years ago. It wasn't great pay but it helped keep the family comfortable. Four credits were for a typical lecture+laboratory 15-week course. I taught second semester gen. chem. there and most of the students were hoping to transfer the credit to a 4 year degree. I gather you're in a 10-week system?

Good luck with your paperwork!