News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's the beginning of the end.

The Fall schedule came out. I'm in a lab, eligible for research credits, and solid to start my own project and move forward with a thesis. Looks like I'll be taking Microbio with my beloved Dr. Reysenbach this fall, along with either Sleep & Dreaming or Psychopathology, which will be my last psych class. After that, everything will be an upper-division bio elective, or an Other Science elective.

I need to check with my advisor about how these research credits are going to affect my degree, because I might end up graduating a term earlier than planned if I collect four per term just for working in the lab.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh and it's time to start stressing out about the GRE and grad school applications.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 28, 2015, 12:08:20 AM
Oh and it's time to start stressing out about the GRE and grad school applications.

I almost had a breakdown over that in December after I graduated. I'm not even sure I want to go anymore.

Cainad (dec.)

Even though I was learning super fun stuff in the last two years, school was making me not really want to be alive anymore towards the end.

You're definitely doing a lot better than I did, you'll be fine. Kick everything's ass.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on April 28, 2015, 12:55:19 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 28, 2015, 12:08:20 AM

I almost had a breakdown over that in December after I graduated. I'm not even sure I want to go anymore.

I'm going to take the GRE over the summer, when I am literally taking only one class that counts.

And then I'll have until January 1 to get my shit together for grad school applications.  :horrormirth:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on April 28, 2015, 03:04:49 AM
Even though I was learning super fun stuff in the last two years, school was making me not really want to be alive anymore towards the end.

You're definitely doing a lot better than I did, you'll be fine. Kick everything's ass.

I have gotten really lucky and fallen in with a group of supernerds who are all about the neuroscience, which is really helpful in terms of making me not want to die.

Zenpatista

GRE and grad applications?  :horrormirth: Good luck with that guys. I applied to 4, heard back from 3 and visited 2 before I settled. I do not want to go through any of that again. On the other hand, my happy place is going back to grad school - this time for marine biology - learning scuba, and studying manta rays.

I'm glad the semester is about over. My last discussion section was today. Now I have 18 presentations and papers to grade and two finals to proctor (and possibly partially grade).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Zenpatista on May 01, 2015, 01:16:54 AM
GRE and grad applications?  :horrormirth: Good luck with that guys. I applied to 4, heard back from 3 and visited 2 before I settled. I do not want to go through any of that again. On the other hand, my happy place is going back to grad school - this time for marine biology - learning scuba, and studying manta rays.

I'm glad the semester is about over. My last discussion section was today. Now I have 18 presentations and papers to grade and two finals to proctor (and possibly partially grade).

Marine biology sounds delightful!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So my scientific ethics professor, although undeniably brilliant (I've seen her research... I don't understand it, she deals in making things fluoresce that don't normally fluoresce, like silicon) and eminently likable, clearly doesn't have time for teaching this class. Two of the six essays I'm supposed to peer-review this week are nowhere to be found. I emailed her, and I KNOW that she was online because I could see her tinkering with the class page, but no response, no essays.

OK, well, I guess that if I don't get them, I'm only reviewing four.  :lol:

Cain

X-posts from FB, where I'm posting tidbits of my research for this final paper before the dissertation:

QuoteOK, final essay before dissertation time: "Lone wolves "and far right terrorism. I only regret I have such a low word limit to discuss this topic, as I was pretty well versed on it even before I signed up to the course.

QuoteOh boy, time to read 2083: A European Declaration of Independence again. It was bad enough reading this shit first time around, when I was arguing with the counterjihadists on their blogs. The second time, in the aftermath of the Oslo attacks was definitely more vomit-inducing, though.

QuoteHeh. The concept of leaderless resistance was originally coined by paranoid right wingers afraid of Communist invasion. Inevitably, the concept was turned against the "internal enemy" as said invasion failed to materialise and those on the extreme fringes realised there was no mass base for popular action.

If only we had some kind of pithy name for this sort of process, like "the Gladio delusion" or similar.

QuoteHeh, it gets even better. The actual originator of the "leaderless resistance" paper was a former OSS officer, Col. Ulius Amoss. Interesting CV....station chief and assassin recruiter in Cairo, then some CIA work, then "unofficial cover" working with the Cubans.

He was pissed that the KGB kept capturing American spies behind the Iron Curtain...which if I remember my espionage history correctly, was because the Nazis recruited by the Office of Policy Coordination (the CIA's predecessor) were already double agents and feeding back information to Moscow.

So he came up with a theory which was only needed because of Nazis, which then went on to be adopted by Neo-Nazis. Funny how that works out.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: So I take it that your paper is going to be a bit scathing?

Cain

Sadly it's just an analysis, this paper.  As interesting as that is, it mostly falls out of the remit of the question, but I've put the relevant links in the footnotes, so anyone who is actually interested can find out about the whole thing.  I know the professor for this module has a personal interest in far right terrorism, he's from Germany and its what he originally studied while over there (in the field, I mean), so he may find that interesting. 

Incidentally I know about that whole sordid affair with the turned Nazi intelligence agents because of a very good book by a former State Department official who was a "Nazi Hunter" of a sort.  He's known for having very close links to Israeli intelligence who, I suspect, were none too pleased about the Office of Policy Coordination shielding wanted war criminals guilty of slaughtering Jewish civilians.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Got 88% on my Cognitive Neuroscience midterm, evidently because I didn't use enough bullshit jargon terms, and also apparently because I needed to explain the words "mechanism" and "stable".

I don't even want to talk to him, he's a senile dinosaur trapped in a mire of psychology jargon. He keeps talking about how cognitive neuroscience needs a "grand unified theory" and I want to dropkick him and his whole class and shit on them from a great height.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am honestly not even sure he understands what I wrote my essays about.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 06, 2015, 12:16:00 AM
Got 88% on my Cognitive Neuroscience midterm, evidently because I didn't use enough bullshit jargon terms, and also apparently because I needed to explain the words "mechanism" and "stable".

I don't even want to talk to him, he's a senile dinosaur trapped in a mire of psychology jargon. He keeps talking about how cognitive neuroscience needs a "grand unified theory" and I want to dropkick him and his whole class and shit on them from a great height.

Isn't 88% good? What are the grade boundaries?
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."