Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 19, 2015, 12:22:14 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 19, 2015, 12:06:11 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 18, 2015, 09:02:51 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on May 18, 2015, 05:41:46 PM
I would also like to find a girl friend of some sort, but I'm not holding my breath.

NO.  Nothing good ever happens to the grad student with the significant other.  It's a classic trope, as unyielding as the laws of physics.

This is true, and also why I am not going to try to date until after I get my PhD.

So when I'm 53.

:lulz:

The rule is "Significant other", so you can date.  You just can't fall in love, or you get eaten by a dinosaur or get squished by giant alien killer robots or some shit.

I don't have time to date, anyway. I have Charley, that's just  going to have to hold me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 19, 2015, 06:56:33 AM
I would also like to find a girl friend of some sort, but I'm not holding my breath.

NO.  Nothing good ever happens to the grad student with the significant other.  It's a classic trope, as unyielding as the laws of physics.

This is true, and also why I am not going to try to date until after I get my PhD.

So when I'm 53.

The rule is "Significant other", so you can date.  You just can't fall in love, or you get eaten by a dinosaur or get squished by giant alien killer robots or some shit.

I don't have time to date, anyway. I have Charley, that's just  going to have to hold me.

Charley is an exception to many rules.  He stands out in Portland like a sore thumb.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 19, 2015, 02:51:24 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 19, 2015, 06:56:33 AM

So when I'm 53.

Charley is an exception to many rules.  He stands out in Portland like a sore thumb.

He certainly does. The best part is that he doesn't even know it, in his Hawaiian shirt and cowboy hat, just going around all happy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 19, 2015, 03:39:20 PM
He certainly does. The best part is that he doesn't even know it, in his Hawaiian shirt and cowboy hat, just going around all happy.

Seriously, he's all real and shit.  3-D, even.  Aside from you and Jeremy - who isn't a native Portlander - that's practically unique.

Also, he's one hell of a nice guy, and I really enjoyed meeting him.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 19, 2015, 06:36:10 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 19, 2015, 03:39:20 PM

Seriously, he's all real and shit.  3-D, even.  Aside from you and Jeremy - who isn't a native Portlander - that's practically unique.

Also, he's one hell of a nice guy, and I really enjoyed meeting him.

He's full color and everything. And grew up in a bungalow just a few blocks away from my house.

Somehow we manage to get into just the RIGHT amount of trouble, which is surprising because we both have "why not?" personalities.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a three hour training that I need to have completed by Thursday. I don't want to do it tomorrow because tomorrow I  have to finish chapter 15, transcribe about 30 pages of notes, review somewhere in the ballpark of 175 slides, and prepare my insect diversity in Borneo presentation.

That means I have to do it tonight.  :horrormirth:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 03:29:50 AM
I have a three hour training that I need to have completed by Thursday. I don't want to do it tomorrow because tomorrow I  have to finish chapter 15, transcribe about 30 pages of notes, review somewhere in the ballpark of 175 slides, and prepare my insect diversity in Borneo presentation.

Better get on it.

Jesus, I can't wait til you have your doctorate.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 20, 2015, 03:31:09 AM

Better get on it.

ONLY NINE MORE YEARS!  :banana:

I am enjoying procrastinating, for the moment. To tell the truth.

The training, not the doctorate.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 03:33:39 AM

Better get on it.

Have a chai.  You can do the training when you're another person.  Specifically, a person with a gut-load of delicious chai.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 20, 2015, 03:34:36 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 03:33:39 AM

Better get on it.

Have a chai.  You can do the training when you're another person.  Specifically, a person with a gut-load of delicious chai.

That sounds like not a bad idea AT ALL.  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Speaking of procrastination, I went and saw this lady speak last week: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/fykny6/patricia-churchland

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also has a Toronto accent.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I don't think I like the reality she's explaining, though.

I love my wife.  It's not oxytosin.

:argh!:
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 20, 2015, 03:51:43 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 03:45:51 AM
Speaking of procrastination, I went and saw this lady speak last week: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/fykny6/patricia-churchland

Oh, she's GOOD.

She really, REALLY is. Someone asked her whether she was concerned that neuroscience was sucking the mystery out of life, and she just cocked her head and said, kind of wistfully, "You know, people ask about the mystery and I think about all the people I've known with schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, Huntington's Disease, Parkinson's, muscular dystrophy, bipolar disorder... what were you saying about 'mystery'?"