News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 20, 2015, 03:57:25 AM
I don't think I like the reality she's explaining, though.

I love my wife.  It's not oxytosin.

:argh!:

:lulz:

I love that reality, because the more I know about it the less I can explain it.

I mean, really explain it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 04:00:38 AM

I love that reality, because the more I know about it the less I can explain it.

In the end, I just make monkey noises and keep loving my wife.

:showus:
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 20, 2015, 04:01:42 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 04:00:38 AM

In the end, I just make monkey noises and keep loving my wife.

:showus:

:lol: That's probably the best response.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 03:59:09 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 20, 2015, 03:51:43 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 20, 2015, 03:45:51 AM
Speaking of procrastination, I went and saw this lady speak last week: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/fykny6/patricia-churchland

Oh, she's GOOD.

She really, REALLY is. Someone asked her whether she was concerned that neuroscience was sucking the mystery out of life, and she just cocked her head and said, kind of wistfully, "You know, people ask about the mystery and I think about all the people I've known with schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, Huntington's Disease, Parkinson's, muscular dystrophy, bipolar disorder... what were you saying about 'mystery'?"

Hear, hear!

People who think the mystery of life can be dispelled by learning things are either pitiably misguided or have incredibly small imaginations.

Imagine all of human knowledge as a big sphere, and the outer edge of that sphere is mystery. When you expand human knowledge, you push the surface of that sphere further outward. This increases the surface area of the sphere, thereby increasing the total amount of mystery.

You can pretend I'm smoking a clove cigarette and sipping a latte while I say the above statement.

LMNO

Cain

And....I got a distinction for my final paper.  Only just a distinction, mind, unlike last time, but I'll take it.

Obviously I have to wait for them to actually tally everything up and do the paperwork, but this means I'm 100% in for the dissertation module.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2015, 12:02:44 PM
And....I got a distinction for my final paper.  Only just a distinction, mind, unlike last time, but I'll take it.

Obviously I have to wait for them to actually tally everything up and do the paperwork, but this means I'm 100% in for the dissertation module.

Oh awesome!

I am feeling none too confident about my midterm today.

Cain

Thanks.  And you're a good student, you'll do well enough.  Just don't let the stress get to you.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2015, 12:02:44 PM

:awesome:

Glad to hear that!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

So I just got invited to an invite-only paid internship to do web programming full-time.

:banana:

It gets finalized in two weeks.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on May 22, 2015, 03:27:23 AM
So I just got invited to an invite-only paid internship to do web programming full-time.

Congratulations!

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 22, 2015, 03:42:34 AM
Quote from: N E T on May 22, 2015, 03:27:23 AM

Congratulations!

Thanks! I'm impossibly excited about it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2015, 05:38:09 PM
Thanks.  And you're a good student, you'll do well enough.  Just don't let the stress get to you.

I have been questioning myself a lot this week. One of my classes is terrible, another is kind of a joke (just in terms of not being challenging at all), I hate TAing, and I'm feeling too burned out to even keep up with the one class I love. Then I get comments from people whose goal seems to be to let me know that they just SAILED through Cell Bio, and I'm like, am I really cut out for this? Is it just a fluke that I've made it so far?

I know, I know. Impostor syndrome. But I have a presentation to give tomorrow and I have literally not even started preparing. I wrote the paper weeks ago but I haven't so much as put together five images for the slides, nor made a bullet-pointed list of what I should talk about. For Honors. Like, I honestly don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

And my dog is dying and one of my kids won't talk to me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My professor did tell the class that he got a C in Cell, which made me feel a little better I guess.

Reginald Ret

Nigel, you can do this. Ignore the comments of those fools who say they sailed through it.
You are there to learn, and that is more work than simply jumping through the hoops.
They may have passed the tests but your goal is higher, you actually want to understand what is going on and you do.

I hope your dog can have a good death, insofar as such a thing exists.
Your kid will get over it, I know it hurts but it won't last forever.

unwanted advice trigger warning.

Get the presentation prepared but don't worry about the slides quality, the slides are quite meaningless if your story is clear, and you know this stuff.
it can take as little as 10 minutes if you half-ass it properly.

Get some sleep, get the fuck outside, and know that I wish you the best in all three problem areas.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"