Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 23, 2015, 09:14:02 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 23, 2015, 05:32:27 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on September 23, 2015, 04:37:22 PM
I now have two professors who have agreed to write me letters of recommendation. I'm waiting on a third while I debate asking a fourth, just in case #3 says no. If those fall through I guess I'll try asking my section. Sure, I'd prefer to have all three from academic sources, and sure my job in the Army is not at all related to my desired degree, and sure maybe I am aiming too high with two of my desired universities.

If you had a good academic relationship with the third, they won't say no.

My uncertainty comes from having taken only one class with him, and it being about two years ago.

Ohhhh. Yeah, that's more of a problem.

I am trying to ignore the fact that I should be working on my applications right now. RIGHT. NOW.

I'm also supposed to be writing a 6-8 page paper on food forests. I just can't bring myself to care.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 23, 2015, 10:02:57 PM
I now have two professors who have agreed to write me letters of recommendation. I'm waiting on a third while I debate asking a fourth, just in case #3 says no. If those fall through I guess I'll try asking my section. Sure, I'd prefer to have all three from academic sources, and sure my job in the Army is not at all related to my desired degree, and sure maybe I am aiming too high with two of my desired universities.

My uncertainty comes from having taken only one class with him, and it being about two years ago.

Ohhhh. Yeah, that's more of a problem.

I am trying to ignore the fact that I should be working on my applications right now. RIGHT. NOW.

I'm also supposed to be writing a 6-8 page paper on food forests. I just can't bring myself to care.

I know those feelings.

I'm glad all I have left to do for my applications is three personal statements, which are brewing in my head and on page, wait for a yea or nay on from that one professor, and wait on a response about why I need transcripts for colleges that transferred fully to my degree granting university and show up on the transcript for that uni.

Don Coyote

Well my worries were for naught.

QuoteI certainly do remember you! You were one of the standouts of our TLIT 390 class; you were a major contributor to our discussions, and your final project was ambitious and interesting.

I would be happy to write a letter of recommendation, but I'll be able to do a better job if I know a little more about the programs you're interested in. I haven't set my office hours for the fall quarter yet, but it would be a good idea for us to meet and chat. Also, if you don't have any application materials together yet, no worries, but if you have anything (especially writing sample and CV/resume), would you mind sending it my way?

Let's get in touch soon to discuss a good time to meet.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 24, 2015, 01:34:01 AM
Well my worries were for naught.

QuoteI certainly do remember you! You were one of the standouts of our TLIT 390 class; you were a major contributor to our discussions, and your final project was ambitious and interesting.

I would be happy to write a letter of recommendation, but I'll be able to do a better job if I know a little more about the programs you're interested in. I haven't set my office hours for the fall quarter yet, but it would be a good idea for us to meet and chat. Also, if you don't have any application materials together yet, no worries, but if you have anything (especially writing sample and CV/resume), would you mind sending it my way?

Let's get in touch soon to discuss a good time to meet.

That's so awesome!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

And Cornell, has officially told me that they do not require transcripts from the colleges as the credits were transferred to my degree. So 3/3 references, and 2/3 universities (so far) only need my transcript from UW. Just waiting on a response from UW Bothell, which is now looking like my 2nd choice, Cornell is still my 3rd (so far).

Cain

I wouldn't worry about that too much.

One of my academic referees only taught me for a single semester and, at the time of application, that was 4 years previously.

Edit: hah, should've read on.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 24, 2015, 04:19:12 PM
And Cornell, has officially told me that they do not require transcripts from the colleges as the credits were transferred to my degree. So 3/3 references, and 2/3 universities (so far) only need my transcript from UW. Just waiting on a response from UW Bothell, which is now looking like my 2nd choice, Cornell is still my 3rd (so far).

What's your #1?

I seriously need to get my ass in gear and start the application process. I'm so anxious about the GRE but I know I probably shouldn't be.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 24, 2015, 05:51:05 PM

What's your #1?

I seriously need to get my ass in gear and start the application process. I'm so anxious about the GRE but I know I probably shouldn't be.

Brown. Originally it was Bothell.

On reflection, I am not sure why I had bumped Cornell to #3.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 24, 2015, 06:02:47 PM

What's your #1?

I hope you get into your #1, that's awesome. Grad school choices are hard; I'm limited by geography (especially now that my older childrens' dad is moving to Ohio and abandoning them) but am fortunate to live in a corner of the country that is a growing mecca for neuro and other cellular science. My #1 was primarily informed by my desire to do my postdoc at the OHSU.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 24, 2015, 06:06:39 PM

What's your #1?

I hope you get into your #1, that's awesome. Grad school choices are hard; I'm limited by geography (especially now that my older childrens' dad is moving to Ohio and abandoning them) but am fortunate to live in a corner of the country that is a growing mecca for neuro and other cellular science. My #1 was primarily informed by my desire to do my postdoc at the OHSU.

I had originally planned on sticking to the PNW, but I really didn't want to pay to take a test to show how smart I am at taking tests. Then I noticed UW is a fairly well rated school and decided to swing for the fences. I didn't expect to get into the Army, and I didn't expect to get into UW, and I didn't expect to do as well I did, even though it's been a near constant chain of soul crushing despair and work.

And then I look at poetry that is in the canon, and what is being published to today, and I think to myself, "My shit is just as good as this, maybe."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 24, 2015, 06:15:14 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 24, 2015, 06:06:39 PM

What's your #1?

I had originally planned on sticking to the PNW, but I really didn't want to pay to take a test to show how smart I am at taking tests. Then I noticed UW is a fairly well rated school and decided to swing for the fences. I didn't expect to get into the Army, and I didn't expect to get into UW, and I didn't expect to do as well I did, even though it's been a near constant chain of soul crushing despair and work.

And then I look at poetry that is in the canon, and what is being published to today, and I think to myself, "My shit is just as good as this, maybe."

You are a damn good poet.

You make a fair point about taking a test to test your test-taking abilities. When I talked to the folks on the hill about med school, they basically said that they have a cutoff because they need to be reasonably sure that the people they accept are capable of passing boards, but otherwise they feel the same way you do about it; the scores just tell them how good you are at taking a test, so they don't put much stock in it.

Don Coyote

And Bothell is now number three choice.

Thank you for your email and your interest in the MFA in Creative Writing & Poetics at the University of Washington Bothell. The primary reason we ask for all prior transcripts is so that we can see the actual names of the courses you've previously taken. In many cases, when classes are transferred into a university, they'll show up on that transcript with a prefix and then just xxxxx in place of the name of the course so we might see "ENGL XXXX". It's, of course, much more helpful when we can see "ENGL CREATIVE WRITING", for example, so that we know what classes you have taken.

The other reason for this is that not all courses transfer in so there may be other courses on an old transcript that are not visible because they didn't transfer. Generally, if someone took 10 or less credits and is having trouble obtaining a transcript, we'll waive it. If it's over 10 and the course names are not listed on the recent transcript, then we like to review it. If the cost of getting transcripts is prohibitive, we can always petition the admissions committee and request a waiver as we certainly wouldn't want anyone to not be able to apply to the program due to inability to get old transcripts. 

My next step is swing by the registrar at UWT and ask very nicely if they have my old transcripts and then ask very nicely to have copies of the official transcripts that I submitted to them for admission. And then by Pierce College, which is local, and then calling fucking University of Maryland University College (how that is a legit name and a legit college I will never know), since the email used to register is I believe my AKO, which is 1) no longer operational across the board and 2) I have no access currently to military email.

It's not the cost of getting transcripts, it's the dumbassry of all that.

Don Coyote

Asking UW if I could get copies of the transcripts I submitted when I was applying for my BA:

QuoteIt is against university policy to make copies of transcripts. Once the university
receives a transcript they become property of the university.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 28, 2015, 07:34:44 PM
Asking UW if I could get copies of the transcripts I submitted when I was applying for my BA:

QuoteIt is against university policy to make copies of transcripts. Once the university
receives a transcript they become property of the university.

Academic bureaucracy! Welcome to the rest of your life.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

First day of classes, here. Developmental Biology is going to be AWESOME, I already love it. The Ecology professor is super weird and I'm not sure about the class yet, but it looks like a shit ton of it is going to be genetics simple statistical analysis and I'm hella good at that (or at least, I was last time I was doing it on a regular basis) so it shouldn't be a hard class.

I have a ton of reading to do though. It's homework time.

Alty's classes started a couple weeks ago. He's photoshopping the fuck out of a turtle.