News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 28, 2015, 11:14:06 PM
First day of classes, here. Developmental Biology is going to be AWESOME, I already love it. The Ecology professor is super weird and I'm not sure about the class yet, but it looks like a shit ton of it is going to be genetics simple statistical analysis and I'm hella good at that (or at least, I was last time I was doing it on a regular basis) so it shouldn't be a hard class.

I have a ton of reading to do though. It's homework time.

Alty's classes started a couple weeks ago. He's photoshopping the fuck out of a turtle.

Why must he mess with nature and create a fuckless turtle?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 29, 2015, 04:03:38 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 28, 2015, 11:14:06 PM
First day of classes, here. Developmental Biology is going to be AWESOME, I already love it. The Ecology professor is super weird and I'm not sure about the class yet, but it looks like a shit ton of it is going to be genetics simple statistical analysis and I'm hella good at that (or at least, I was last time I was doing it on a regular basis) so it shouldn't be a hard class.

I have a ton of reading to do though. It's homework time.

Alty's classes started a couple weeks ago. He's photoshopping the fuck out of a turtle.

Why must he mess with nature and create a fuckless turtle?

Somebody needs to think of the children. Children loves turtles. Do we want our precious assets playing with a fucking turtle?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yesterday The Grad Student Who Is The Boss Of Me was rushing out of the lab and said in passing "Remind  me that I need to get a picture of you for Dr. L's talk!"

I have no idea what she's talking about.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 29, 2015, 03:14:06 PM
Yesterday The Grad Student Who Is The Boss Of Me was rushing out of the lab and said in passing "Remind  me that I need to get a picture of you for Dr. L's talk!"

Sounds ominous.

Don Coyote

I seem to have writers block regarding my personal statement. :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 29, 2015, 03:22:34 PM

Sounds ominous.

I am presuming she's giving some kind of academic talk and will be telling other PI's about the joys of having undergraduates doing research, which is swell.

I also met the person who is going to be helping on my project, and she remembered me from a panel I did for the new grant program, so that was cool.

Monday, my micro professor, who is amazing and brilliant and one of the foremost researchers on microorganisms around deep sea vents, is giving a science pub talk. Gonna try to go to that even though that is usually ladies dinner night.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 29, 2015, 07:46:07 PM

Sounds ominous.

I am presuming she's giving some kind of academic talk and will be telling other PI's about the joys of having undergraduates doing research, which is swell.

I also met the person who is going to be helping on my project, and she remembered me from a panel I did for the new grant program, so that was cool.

Monday, my micro professor, who is amazing and brilliant and one of the foremost researchers on microorganisms around deep sea vents, is giving a science pub talk. Gonna try to go to that even though that is usually ladies dinner night.

Or they announce they've been doing SCIENCE!! to you.

All of that sounds cool.

Science stuff always sounds cool.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 29, 2015, 07:52:07 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 29, 2015, 07:46:07 PM

Sounds ominous.

Or they announce they've been doing SCIENCE!! to you.

All of that sounds cool.

Science stuff always sounds cool.

I'm super excited about SCIENCE! right now because I'm doing background reading on glucocorticoids and neuronal development for my thesis prospectus, and holy shit this project I'm working on could turn out to be REALLY cool. Or not. We'll see. But I'm super excited to run the analysis!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The advantage of working on a project prospectus that nobody else in my thesis group understands is that there is no way they can ding me in the peer review process.

The disadvantage is that they also can't help me by giving me useful feedback. :(

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Talked to my academic advisor today; I am indeed on track for finishing classes in the Spring and I can get credit for my lab work this term.

Woot!

Don Coyote

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I feel like I have been incredibly lazy and remiss in my studies this term, so I am working on a study guide for my midterm that is tomorrow morning, and realizing that life would be MUCH easier if I wrote up a study guide every weekend instead of just before a midterm.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I got a B on my dev bio midterm.

It is clear that I need to step up my game. Still, I don't feel SO bad, given that I got that B after basically blowing off studying and while under the influence of a dizzying stew of love hormones. If I just read the damn book and write up my study guide answers on a weekly basis I should own this class.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Week 5 is almost over. I am completely no longer on board with 8 am classes. The midterm season is in full force and I have  five more midterms before Finals. Five. Midterms.

I talked to my mentor yesterday and she told me that I need to email the PI of the lab I'm interested in posthaste so I'ma do that today. She was also like, sometimes you have to just let your grades slip so you can fit in other things that are important to you, so I didn't feel so bad about getting a B on her midterm. Also she is lending me a book I need for endocrinology next term, yay for saving $200.

Added 2 credits of neuroscience research to my load.

I am finishing my damn permaculture paper today if it kills me.

IF IT KILLS ME.

I wish I was in bed right now.

LMNO