News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In other news, all of a sudden I am definitely applying for graduate school right now, which means that I am both excited as hell and a bit of a trainwreck. I talked to my undergrad research advisor on Wednesday, who basically demanded to know my graduate school plans and then told me that I need to email the researcher I want as my graduate advisor immediately, which I did, and then he emailed me back right away telling me that he has a 2016 opening in his lab, invited me to come visit, and told me I need to apply to WSU right away. The priority deadline is the 15th of November. I am losing my shit a little. I'm taking the GRE on the 11th.

Luckily Alty is a rock and an amazing support person because he is methodical and has the ability to get me to focus on just one thing at a time, something that I am terrible at.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 30, 2015, 08:22:00 PM
In other news, all of a sudden I am definitely applying for graduate school right now, which means that I am both excited as hell and a bit of a trainwreck. I talked to my undergrad research advisor on Wednesday, who basically demanded to know my graduate school plans and then told me that I need to email the researcher I want as my graduate advisor immediately, which I did, and then he emailed me back right away telling me that he has a 2016 opening in his lab, invited me to come visit, and told me I need to apply to WSU right away. The priority deadline is the 15th of November. I am losing my shit a little. I'm taking the GRE on the 11th.

Luckily Alty is a rock and an amazing support person because he is methodical and has the ability to get me to focus on just one thing at a time, something that I am terrible at.

:banana:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 31, 2015, 12:22:57 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 30, 2015, 08:22:00 PM

:banana:

SO FAR SO GOOD. My biggest problem is that when I decide to do something I typically want to DO IT NOW and I want ALL THE THINGS NOW and at least one of my references is out of town until Monday.

So, I have to wait. :(

I need to write a personal statement (I'm super good at bullshitting, but get super paralyzed when the bullshitting is IMPORTANT) and figure out what to submit as a writing sample. I'm leaning toward my 2013 research poster, but I'm not sure whether research posters are appropriate as writing samples.

So basically, I've done everything I can do today and all I can do between now and Monday is work on my personal statement. And troll the shit out of Dark'N'edgy.

The Good Reverend Roger

May not have to.  At least two of them have regged here.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

GRE today.

I feel pretty good about everything except the geometry of triangles, because triangles, man. So many ratio rules that I never memorized.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2015, 04:17:29 PM
GRE today.

I feel pretty good about everything except the geometry of triangles, because triangles, man. So many ratio rules that I never memorized.

Triangles, lazy ass cones  :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on November 13, 2015, 06:12:34 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2015, 04:17:29 PM
GRE today.

Triangles, lazy ass cones  :argh!:

RIGHT?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm waiting on my final score but it should be 318-319. Which is completely fine.

I'm all dressed and ready to go meet with my prospective mentor. Sooooo nervous! Hoping I strike the right balance of nerdy/collegiate/professional/informal.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My prospective mentor visit went insanely well and he wants me in his lab. Now I just need to get into the program. I am hoping that my ace in the hole will be that hardly anybody knows about this tiny little brand-new program in Vancouver.

I registered for classes. I was torn about whether to maybe skip biochemistry in the Spring and just take something easy to meet my other science credits, ("Exploring Mars" is an actual class!) but my research adviser thinks I'll want biochemistry and she's never steered me wrong so far. So this Fall it's behavioral endocrinology, neurophysiology for biology majors, and physics. In the Spring it'll be biochemistry, recombinant DNA, Cell lab, and then holy shit I'm done with classes. Except I think I'm going to take Elementary Functions online over the summer while I'm writing my thesis, to get me ready for calculus.

Had my Ecology midterm today and it seemed to go pretty well except I flat-out forgot the rate of infectiousness equation.

Freeky

Ooooooo, good luck with everything Nigel!  :D

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks!

It occurred to me today that 18 credits and graduate-level classes do not go particularly well together.

I are smart.

Don Coyote

I now have to wait until March to find out if I got accepted and to which universities.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on December 07, 2015, 08:34:41 PM
I now have to wait until March to find out if I got accepted and to which universities.

NOT NERVE-WRACKING AT ALL.