News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 08, 2015, 01:45:58 AM
Quote from: Don Coyote on December 07, 2015, 08:34:41 PM
I now have to wait until March to find out if I got accepted and to which universities.

NOT NERVE-WRACKING AT ALL.

i am totally 1000% calm pay no attention to the soulless pits where my eyes were

Cuddlefish

Submitted my paper on teaching classical categorical logic to the journal 'Teaching Philosophy.' I'd imagine that it wouldn't be picked up, but I think the paper was good enough that I at least have a chance... What's worse than rejection is waiting to see if you'll be rejected. In fact, I don't really care either way, the waiting just sucks.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cuddlefish on December 08, 2015, 04:53:10 PM
Submitted my paper on teaching classical categorical logic to the journal 'Teaching Philosophy.' I'd imagine that it wouldn't be picked up, but I think the paper was good enough that I at least have a chance... What's worse than rejection is waiting to see if you'll be rejected. In fact, I don't really care either way, the waiting just sucks.

Oooooh, good luck! That would be an awesome publication credit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 09, 2015, 04:16:41 PM

I'm planning on using the paper as a writing sample for grad school apps. Having it published would really set it apart from other people's. In either case, it's a great sample. I'm dying to get back to my studies... Non-academic life is so... mundane.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cuddlefish on December 10, 2015, 03:25:58 PM

I'm planning on using the paper as a writing sample for grad school apps. Having it published would really set it apart from other people's. In either case, it's a great sample. I'm dying to get back to my studies... Non-academic life is so... mundane.

A publication would definitely be a feather in your cap for grad school apps!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm hoping I get into grad school this round for much the reason you mention. I can take a year off and work, but... I like it in academialand. It's a weird and wonderful little universe.

Don Coyote

Yeah not being in academialand this last year has been really shitty.

Aucoq

Reading along as you guys power through school is really inspiring. I break out in cold sweats just "listening" to you all nonchalantly talk about the subjects you're taking. My hope is that one day I can be a total academic badass like you all.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 10, 2015, 11:51:15 PM

Yeah, that's the plan. I hear that you are doing well with your studies, which also makes me happy: Non-traditional students, FTW

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Aucoq on December 11, 2015, 01:21:40 PM
Reading along as you guys power through school is really inspiring. I break out in cold sweats just "listening" to you all nonchalantly talk about the subjects you're taking. My hope is that one day I can be a total academic badass like you all.

Aw, thank you! If that's what you want, then you can do it, believe me!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cuddlefish on December 11, 2015, 06:04:33 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 10, 2015, 11:51:15 PM

Yeah, that's the plan. I hear that you are doing well with your studies, which also makes me happy: Non-traditional students, FTW

Thanks! This term was pretty nerve-wracking, but I think part of that is being in a new relationship; it's hard to find the right balance of study time when all you want to be doing is spending time with your new partner. But I did OK, and the next two terms should go smoothly. I think I'll relax a lot when I find out whether I get into my grad program.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Submitted my application yesterday. I decided to do just the one, which is... maybe risky? But it's the only program I really want to get into. If I don't get in, my plan is to look for a lab job or maybe tutor for a year, publish my current research project, take calculus and the rest of the physics series, and reapply next year, both to this program and to the MD/PhD program at OHSU.

Zenpatista

I am done grading. I only had one page of a 9 page final exam (thank heaven for TAs) but there were 160 students. I'm also done grading the final papers from the 16 honors students. And, I'm done uploading letters of recommendation to every known format of graduate & medical school website. Why people want letters from a lowly staff scientist, I don't know. I try to dissuade them and tell them to get a letter from a real, tenured professor. No matter. I. Am. Done. Now for (more) coffee, and to get back to sciencing the shit out of some proteins.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Zenpatista on December 17, 2015, 07:53:54 PM
I am done grading. I only had one page of a 9 page final exam (thank heaven for TAs) but there were 160 students. I'm also done grading the final papers from the 16 honors students. And, I'm done uploading letters of recommendation to every known format of graduate & medical school website. Why people want letters from a lowly staff scientist, I don't know. I try to dissuade them and tell them to get a letter from a real, tenured professor. No matter. I. Am. Done. Now for (more) coffee, and to get back to sciencing the shit out of some proteins.

I'm gonna science some proteins tonight, if you know what I mean.

LMNO