Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Downloaded for reading later, thanks!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks for giving it a go, guys! I really appreciate it. And when you do, please forgive the shittiness of the header formatting. You'll see what I mean.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Vanadium Gryllz

Cool paper Nigel!

How do the levels of stress hormones that you introduced compare to those that might be produced naturally?

Also, were there many ethical concerns/complications involved experimenting on snakes?
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Xaz on September 10, 2016, 10:34:24 AM
Cool paper Nigel!

How do the levels of stress hormones that you introduced compare to those that might be produced naturally?

Also, were there many ethical concerns/complications involved experimenting on snakes?

The levels were physiologically relevant, ie. approximately the same as those you would find in an acutely stressed animal in  the wild.

The ethical issues are the same with the snakes as those all researchers who work with animals face. The NIH has guidelines which we adhere to strictly. https://grants.nih.gov/grants/policy/air/
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

That was a great read, Nigel.  I was particularly fascinated that the stress hormone inhibitor offspring were possibly too sensitive to stress (at least, that's how I understood it, correct me if I'm wrong). 

Also, for no particular reason, "normal goat serum" made me laugh.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on September 10, 2016, 07:31:07 PM
That was a great read, Nigel.  I was particularly fascinated that the stress hormone inhibitor offspring were possibly too sensitive to stress (at least, that's how I understood it, correct me if I'm wrong). 

Also, for no particular reason, "normal goat serum" made me laugh.

Heehee! Thanks, and thanks for reading it.

It seems that there are optimal levels of stress hormones, and if you deviate too far from optimal in either direction, it kind of "breaks" the system.

Freeky

It makes sense, in a way.  Sort of like the trope of how sheltered people lose their security and easy lives have meltdowns because they can't take the pressure, and people who constantly live with stress sort of shut down eventually.

Cain

That sounds similar to something I once read, but I can't for the life of me think where....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on September 12, 2016, 03:06:14 AM
It makes sense, in a way.  Sort of like the trope of how sheltered people lose their security and easy lives have meltdowns because they can't take the pressure, and people who constantly live with stress sort of shut down eventually.

Yes. Endocrine burnout is real.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 12, 2016, 07:03:15 AM
That sounds similar to something I once read, but I can't for the life of me think where....

Sapolsky? Meaney? Possibly the Whitehall reports?

Cain

Could be Sapolsky, I know you've linked to some of his stuff before.  Can't say for sure though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sapolsky is like, my science heartthrob. His research is so seminal.

Suu

I don't understand why people whine about paying for academic papers. Scholars deserve to be paid just as much as artists or any worker does. Research can take months, or even years, and paywalls and journals exist for a reason: to help protect their intellectual rights and ensure that they can be paid fairly by the publication for their work. Yes, sometimes they can get pretty damn steep, and I understand not everybody can swing a JStor account, but that's why we have nifty things like interlibrary loan and research librarians who can help you do this at almost any public library.

Guys, seriously. I've paid too much goddamn money to go to school. Nigel has paid too much goddamn money to go to school. Millions of people have paid too much goddamn money to go to school, and put in hours of work hitting the books and labs to be able to write a coherent, peer-reviewed article. I charge 8 bucks for digital copies of my thesis. Eight. Bucks. That's it. I'd give it away for free if I wasn't paying off mountains of debt.

Scholars should not be treated any differently than artists. Time, training, and talent has a price. Please, do the right thing and obtain the research you need through the right channels. There are a great deal of tools if you can't swing journal subscriptions: Interlibrary loan, research librarians, Academia.edu, Scribd, Project Gutenberg for out of copyright releases, etc. It's just not cool to yell at people who won't just give you their research for free. Don't be that guy. It's bad enough a lot of academics find themselves dying of exposure these days anyway, it's typically called adjuncting.

-Suu
Who is riproaring pissed at some bitch right now who is calling her all sorts of things because she wouldn't give her free copies of her longest papers that are currently under review.  :argh!:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Vanadium Gryllz

Roughly how much could an author of a paper expect to receive from publishing a paper? I was under the impression that the vast majority of the cost of obtaining a paper goes to the publisher rather than the authors.

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Suu

Quote from: Xaz on September 14, 2016, 06:48:55 AM
Roughly how much could an author of a paper expect to receive from publishing a paper? I was under the impression that the vast majority of the cost of obtaining a paper goes to the publisher rather than the authors.

Depends on the publisher. It's not enough to make a living, but it can be a good supplement if you can churn out 2-3 papers a year for a good publication. If you publish an "article" length paper, which was described to me as 15,000 words, at 15 cents a word, you're getting over 2 grand, which is why published articles are getting shorter.

There's a lot of fighting going on right now between academics and journals, much along the same lines of artists and assholes involving "exposure", basically it looks good on grant applications. Grants are where the money is, but you sometimes can't publish without grants, and you can't get grants without being published.  :roll:

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."