News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 07, 2017, 07:00:02 PM
Quote from: Freeky on February 07, 2017, 05:43:14 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 07, 2017, 07:46:17 AM
What changed? I had a TAship, and she wants me to have an RAship.

That's all. That's it.

Research Assistantship? 

Also, that's a pile of bullshit, Nigel. :sad:

Yes.

At least I'm mad.

I don't get why it's even an inconvenience for her, especially where she was cool about it before
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

I'm guessing she figured out how smart and awesome Nigel is, and now doesn't want her to leave the lab.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on February 07, 2017, 07:17:52 PM

That's all. That's it.

Research Assistantship? 

Yes.

At least I'm mad.

I don't get why it's even an inconvenience for her, especially where she was cool about it before

That's the thing. I don't think her sudden ire is even about me; I think she's taking some other frustration out on me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on February 07, 2017, 07:40:55 PM
I'm guessing she figured out how smart and awesome Nigel is, and now doesn't want her to leave the lab.

Awww. :)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 07, 2017, 08:38:37 PM

That's all. That's it.

Research Assistantship? 

Yes.

At least I'm mad.

That's the thing. I don't think her sudden ire is even about me; I think she's taking some other frustration out on me.

That sucks. I don't get why people do that. It doesn't fix your own problem and it makes someone else's day worse.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on February 07, 2017, 08:48:03 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 07, 2017, 08:38:37 PM

That's all. That's it.

Research Assistantship? 

Yes.

At least I'm mad.

That sucks. I don't get why people do that. It doesn't fix your own problem and it makes someone else's day worse.

It seems very common among career academics in the sciences; I suspect it comes from literally growing up in an academic bubble and never having to learn good interpersonal skills.

Freeky

That's all. That's it.

Research Assistantship? 

Yes.

At least I'm mad.

SHIT FUCK DAMN HERE COME THE SPIKIEST DILDOES
:omg:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm so frustrated right now.

I have a massive list of things to do, as I always do, and the fucking lab printer isn't working. At all. I need it to make labels for my antibody aliquots.

We have a dinner party tonight but I am training an undergrad until six so I will have zero time to help prep.

I could have gotten aliquots done yesterday but got roped into a behavioral trial that - guess what? - actually needs to happen today. But since my project partner has a midterm today, we can't do behavioral until 3, the same time my undergrad arrives.

FML.

Salty

So, Technical/Professional writing, right?
Group project, more about learning to work with a team than reporting on the benefits of tea for students at my school.

I hate group work and have successfully avoided it since the 6th grade when a science project teammate bailed on me, joined another project, and neglected to tell me. I found out two days before my assignment was due and had to build a balsa wood bridge my own damned self. I did a poor job of it, no doubt.

Anyway. Tea report. We all try the tea, we have a video conference meeting. Our roles are pre-determined by the instructor. I am proofreading, the other three are editing, designing, and leading. The editor crams together huge, poorly written paragraphs, the designer shoves in some tiny photos of tea brands and makes letter head improper. The leader occasional asks if we need anything and does nothing.

I fix just about everything, edit, resize, shift paragraphs and change headers, etc. I get it all done and send an email saying I am going to turn it in at 5pm.

The leader swoops in and says she is going to turn in as thought I hadn't SAID A GOD DAMNED MOTHERFUCKING THING.

But, whatever, right? So. I get the grade back and we are short of a 100% because she didn't download the motherfucking thing as a PDF so the formatting was all fucky.

Me:
:walken::walken::walken::walken::walken::walken::walken::walken::walken:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My advisor: You need to do this thing.
Me: I did that thing several weeks ago.
My advisor: Your time is too valuable for that, it's something an undergrad can do.

:um:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I suddenly realized that my advisor has been treating me differently since a few weeks ago when she asked me how much graduate support I'm getting from the Ford Family Foundation.

I think that in some twisted way, she thinks that's HER money, and that I should have to work extra for it.

Nast

So I decided I want to go for my BA so I went for it and finally applied for UCSB this semester! I'll find out some time this spring if I'm accepted or not. As for major, it was pretty much an equal toss up between archaeology, art history, or Asian studies for me, but I went with Asian studies because it was the easiest thing to apply to and it meshed well with my previous skill set. 

So now I'm back at community college finishing up my IGETC requirements. Two of my classes are going fine and I really like them, but the two that I'm taking online - Statistics and Critical Thinking - are a miserable slog.

It's been a whirlwind six months, honestly. I got a new job, entered a new relationship, broke off said relationship, was hospitalized twice - once for salmonella (lol) and then for a spider bite (lol wut), my grandma died, and of course all this craziness going on in the world just contributes to the general stress level. Now it's the middle of the semester now and I just feel kind of burnt out and unable to bring myself to care.

I'm trying to drum up the motivation to apply myself since these two classes are utterly crucial for me, but...blargh, just blargh.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

Quote from: Salty on February 17, 2017, 02:02:59 AM
So, Technical/Professional writing, right?
Group project, more about learning to work with a team than reporting on the benefits of tea for students at my school.

I hate group work and have successfully avoided it since the 6th grade when a science project teammate bailed on me, joined another project, and neglected to tell me. I found out two days before my assignment was due and had to build a balsa wood bridge my own damned self. I did a poor job of it, no doubt.

Anyway. Tea report. We all try the tea, we have a video conference meeting. Our roles are pre-determined by the instructor. I am proofreading, the other three are editing, designing, and leading. The editor crams together huge, poorly written paragraphs, the designer shoves in some tiny photos of tea brands and makes letter head improper. The leader occasional asks if we need anything and does nothing.

I fix just about everything, edit, resize, shift paragraphs and change headers, etc. I get it all done and send an email saying I am going to turn it in at 5pm.

The leader swoops in and says she is going to turn in as thought I hadn't SAID A GOD DAMNED MOTHERFUCKING THING.

But, whatever, right? So. I get the grade back and we are short of a 100% because she didn't download the motherfucking thing as a PDF so the formatting was all fucky.

Group work is pretty much the worst thing ever. I would almost rather do everything myself, since that's usually what ends up happening anyway.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Freeky

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Don't die, Nast!

Also, just plod on through those classes. It's what the caveman did.