News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 05, 2017, 08:34:13 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 05, 2017, 05:27:15 PM
I got my course reviews back from last term. Apparently my afternoon class LOVED me, but my 7:30am class? Not so much.  :lulz: Good thing I'm not teaching at buttcrack-30 this term.

"Never Nigel Before Noon" was the thought that hit me.

This seems apt.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

As I march steadily toward a career in science I find myself at home.

Nobody cares how you dress as a scientist. If you never shave regularly, or there's food on your clothing, or your hair is a greasy curls, and your glasses are filthy, everyone assumes that's OK because you're too busy thinking. And, to a point, they're correct. It's just I'm usually waffling back and forth between terror thoughts and shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6FvyLdNG6Y

I've gotten real socially awkward in the last few years. The other day I got really excited about the fact that Charles Whitman used that fucking M1 carbine to kill most of those people, fucking Marines, man, wow before I  realize the classmates speech outline I was reviewing was actually about the importance of play to the development of a healthy, well-developed mind. And THAT'S why she suddenly started gathering her papers and turning away from me.

The important part of this small story is I didn't even put it all together until hours later. 
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Salty on April 22, 2017, 08:14:38 PM
As I march steadily toward a career in science I find myself at home.

Nobody cares how you dress as a scientist. If you never shave regularly, or there's food on your clothing, or your hair is a greasy curls, and your glasses are filthy, everyone assumes that's OK because you're too busy thinking. And, to a point, they're correct. It's just I'm usually waffling back and forth between terror thoughts and shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6FvyLdNG6Y

I've gotten real socially awkward in the last few years. The other day I got really excited about the fact that Charles Whitman used that fucking M1 carbine to kill most of those people, fucking Marines, man, wow before I  realize the classmates speech outline I was reviewing was actually about the importance of play to the development of a healthy, well-developed mind. And THAT'S why she suddenly started gathering her papers and turning away from me.

The important part of this small story is I didn't even put it all together until hours later.

Someday, you will never put it all together because your brain will  have stopped letting you care enough to think about it.

That's the goal, anyway.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Well, I graduated. I still have my senior thesis to finish, but I have my BS.

My professor said when he gets back from vacation we can discuss having me stay on in the lab between now and grad school.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Vanadium Gryllz

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Nephew Twiddleton

I don't think it's quite hit me yet. Maybe because in was busy after graduation with moving and I still have the thesis.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 07, 2017, 02:50:25 PM
Well, I graduated. I still have my senior thesis to finish, but I have my BS.

My professor said when he gets back from vacation we can discuss having me stay on in the lab between now and grad school.

Congratulations, that is badass!!!

Nephew Twiddleton

Thanks! I'm particularly happy about staying in the lab in the interim. I don't want to lose momentum.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 07, 2017, 03:48:10 PM
Thanks! I'm particularly happy about staying in the lab in the interim. I don't want to lose momentum.

Yeah, that's really awesome! Will he take you as a grad student? More relevant question; do you want to do your grad work in his lab?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Totally unrelated to anything, a grad student I barely know asked me to babysit for him during another student's thesis defense. Like in the middle of the day on a Friday. I was just like, wut? :? Is this a thing?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 07, 2017, 04:01:08 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 07, 2017, 03:48:10 PM

Yeah, that's really awesome! Will he take you as a grad student? More relevant question; do you want to do your grad work in his lab?

Yep, we had discussed the possibility of me coming in as a PhD student, but he's eying retirement, but he said he's happy to take me on as a master's student. I'm probably going to continue to follow up on my senior thesis and related stuff either way, so I definitely want to work in his lab, can worry about the PhD in another year or so. When I was doing my poster presentation I was talking with my microbiology TA and she asked me what my interests were. When I said the overlap of microbiology, virology, genomics, and evolution, she said, "yeah, that's Mike. That's definitely Mike."

Zenpatista

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 07, 2017, 04:05:26 PM
Totally unrelated to anything, a grad student I barely know asked me to babysit for him during another student's thesis defense. Like in the middle of the day on a Friday. I was just like, wut? :? Is this a thing?

Yes, this is a thing. The senior grad student who trained me sauntered into the lab one day, handed me her first born and said, "Here. Hold her a while. I have to start some stuff." Of course, I was in the middle of my own stuff and in the middle of the lab. So, I went and sat in the office with the little one. Her kid was a newborn at the time, but I was a 20-something man-child. It was like I could feel myself growing up just sitting there.

My wife, OTOH, raised her first child as a single parent while in grad school. She wasn't impressed by my "maturation".  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Zenpatista on June 07, 2017, 05:43:40 PM

Yes, this is a thing. The senior grad student who trained me sauntered into the lab one day, handed me her first born and said, "Here. Hold her a while. I have to start some stuff." Of course, I was in the middle of my own stuff and in the middle of the lab. So, I went and sat in the office with the little one. Her kid was a newborn at the time, but I was a 20-something man-child. It was like I could feel myself growing up just sitting there.

My wife, OTOH, raised her first child as a single parent while in grad school. She wasn't impressed by my "maturation".  :lulz:

:lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Zenpatista on June 07, 2017, 05:43:40 PM

That's weird.

However, I have gladly watched the senior grad student in my lab's dogs while she did other shit.

This guy isn't in my lab and I don't even know his name. I had a conversation with him once.