Main Menu

Academia Ghetto Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 07, 2017, 04:42:22 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 07, 2017, 04:01:08 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 07, 2017, 03:48:10 PM
Thanks! I'm particularly happy about staying in the lab in the interim. I don't want to lose momentum.

Yeah, that's really awesome! Will he take you as a grad student? More relevant question; do you want to do your grad work in his lab?

Yep, we had discussed the possibility of me coming in as a PhD student, but he's eying retirement, but he said he's happy to take me on as a master's student. I'm probably going to continue to follow up on my senior thesis and related stuff either way, so I definitely want to work in his lab, can worry about the PhD in another year or so. When I was doing my poster presentation I was talking with my microbiology TA and she asked me what my interests were. When I said the overlap of microbiology, virology, genomics, and evolution, she said, "yeah, that's Mike. That's definitely Mike."

Very cool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I taught my last class of the term and formally accepted my RAship for the summer. I'm excited because 50 hours a week is so much less than I've been working, but also kind of bummed because technically I'm only supposed to be working 15 hours a week and my advisor is formally violating university policy and State and possibly Federal law by demanding that I work 3x the hours I'm being paid for.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 10, 2017, 04:07:57 PM
I taught my last class of the term and formally accepted my RAship for the summer. I'm excited because 50 hours a week is so much less than I've been working, but also kind of bummed because technically I'm only supposed to be working 15 hours a week and my advisor is formally violating university policy and State and possibly Federal law by demanding that I work 3x the hours I'm being paid for.

Whoa
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 12, 2017, 01:34:35 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 10, 2017, 04:07:57 PM

Whoa

Yeah, in fact I just looked at my contract again, and I am approved at 57.5 hours PER MONTH. I'm not enrolled in any credits this summer either, so it's not like I'm working to earn credits. I'm just  flat-out being illegally exploited, but it's a time-honored tradition and I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it without derailing my program.