News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

UK/Scotland Spags

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, September 19, 2014, 03:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Isn't that effectively what Harold Wilson's Labour Govt did at the end of the 1970s? (Making the 1979 election a one horse Tory race)  Also, what the following Tory Govt did in the run-up to Blair's "New Labour" Campaign? (Making Blair seem like a good, fresh option)

The Tactic seems to have been adopted by the Republicans under GWB too. Being such a shitty, unpopular, and inept administration that the opposition inevitably gets in, and has to either adopt the policies left behind, or spend their whole term trying to clean up the mess . . .

eta: My point being that England effectively becomes a "one party state" in the run-up to every general election . . .
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Cain

No, although I take your point.

The thing is, this gives the Tories a structural majority in UK politics because once you remove the Welsh and Scottish seats, no other party has any chance of outdoing the Tory Party, even if they lose all their seats which are not considered safe seats.

It means unless there is a massive shift in UK voting habits, the Tories will be in power for the forseeable future in England.  Even if they do not win at a General Election, they will still control English politics.

BadBeast

Sadly I think you're right. And Labour aren't even fit to field a decent opposition at the moment. I think Boris will replace Cameron too, and that's like . . . . out of the frying pan, into the frying pan.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Junkenstein

Be fair. Going with Boris is closer to beating yourself in the face with the frying pan full of scalding oil.

I'm leaning towards him not ending up as PM (Too much dirt, too many inclined to sharpen hatchets should he reach that high) but some form of political power is assured if the cretin is told he'll be assuming it. The other side is that there are others who are, shall we say, more affordable options? If I was paying for a PM, I can think of others who would be very grateful of donations and it's a depressingly small number required to fuck with an election.

Money's still on a Labour/Ukip coalition next time anyway. It's stupid enough to happen and doesn't seem any less likely than other possible results.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

BadBeast

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 20, 2014, 11:21:13 PM
Be fair. Going with Boris is closer to beating yourself in the face with the frying pan full of scalding oil.

I certainly won't be "going with Boris", I just wouldn't put it past the UK electorate to pick him over either A/Cameron (To lead the Tories in the next election)

or B/ To pick him over any Labour / Labour coalition with Milliband at the helm.

FTR, I've never participated in any electoral  / democratic process in all the 30+ years I've been eligible to vote, and I don't see anyone on the political horizon that inspires me to do anything other than throw bottles of piss at the whole UK democracy gameshow . Fortunately, I've managed to develop some measure of impulse control, or I'd be typing this on a smartphone smuggled into my Prison cell via someone's colon. The whole process seems more and more like an invitation to paddle through a sewer, and pick the shiniest turd that floats past every time.  And the more it gets dressed up as the tinkling of a pristine mountain stream, the less I want to dip a toe into it.

I don't have any alternative political solution to the whole mess, and I'm not naive enough to try and convince people to revolt, or take to the streets, (I know how that ends up every time, and have the scars to prove it) so all I can do, is refuse to participate. It's a shit game anyway, and no-one ever wins. If voting could change things for the better, then why hasn't it already done so?

BadBeast

But despite all that, I still remain optimistic about human nature. Futile, perhaps, but it beats letting it depress the very last breath from me. (which is the only alternative)

Junkenstein

QuoteI don't have any alternative political solution to the whole mess, and I'm not naive enough to try and convince people to revolt, or take to the streets,

Well to be fair, with society as it currently stands suggesting people get outside can be construed as attempting to start a riot or somesuch and can now get you thrown in the klink.

Beyond that, I can't help but agree with your voting stance. Mine is much the same.

I suppose part of that is due to any government here being effectively the Emperors new clothes. The important contracts for everything are long agreed and usually run longer than any incumbent government, or proper threats/bribes given to ensure continuity of service. There's no logical reason on the planet to continue to award work to Crapita, yet it occurs regularly.

When your government is reduced to a particular pie faced cretin or another cretin who resembles Ham, you're just playing the popularity contest. If UK politicians actually had any real power, they'd legislate it out of their hands in moments. What they are there for, and all they do, is create laws of the moment reacting to situation X and provide a focal point of hate for those shafted by the policies implemented. All the opposition must do is point and say "Badwrong" until it's their turn. The only reason there's been anything to discuss at all with UK politics is that the Lib dems were never meant to be involved, same goes for UKIP. With the two man con disrupted there's a lot of people pissed that they'll have to start the pantomime with a new partner.

I may be wrong. There may be UK politicians who aren't total scum. Couldn't name a single one though. At the moment it seems many are trying for EDL membership with all this gibbering of English rights.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.