News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

The Dollop - The Thread

Started by Junkenstein, September 22, 2014, 07:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

I've been listening to this for a while and it seems well worth a thread to keep a track of them.

In short, comedy podcast, mainly looking at historical US fuck-ups. Events, people, places, it's pretty varied.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/

Why? Well, this week you've got the first biological terror attack in the US by a cult, through the use of diarrhoea. Who done it? Well technically the Guru, you may recall the guy who wanted to get into the Guinness book of records for having the most Rolls Royces? No? Then you need to listen to this shit. 

"Where did all this idiocy occur?"", you may wonder. Where else, but Portland?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 22, 2014, 07:19:34 AM
I've been listening to this for a while and it seems well worth a thread to keep a track of them.

In short, comedy podcast, mainly looking at historical US fuck-ups. Events, people, places, it's pretty varied.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/

Why? Well, this week you've got the first biological terror attack in the US by a cult, through the use of diarrhoea. Who done it? Well technically the Guru, you may recall the guy who wanted to get into the Guinness book of records for having the most Rolls Royces? No? Then you need to listen to this shit. 

"Where did all this idiocy occur?"", you may wonder. Where else, but Portland?

Ooh. Yeah. I heard about this guy. Incorporated his own town and shit. The Old Portlanders I talk to have told me such tales.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OK, that was not technically Portland, it was Antelope. Although they had quite a few houses in Portland as well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

The other good one recently that prompted the thread was William Walker.

William Walker was a filibuster. In the freebooter sense. Freebooters being basically pirates. Dude took a flag to Nicaragua and, well, it wasn't the greatest of plans. You're dealing with the great ancestral teabilly crowd here. And he wasn't even the only fucker doing it. There's a whole bunch of dudes who basically ran ponzi schemes promising colonists great times on the other side of the world and the common theme is "the sole survivor reported...."

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

I know that story as well.  First real use of biological terrorism by a non-state actor....which we know of.  It does suggest biological terrorism will probably far less apocalyptic than 12 Monkeys or Fringe suggests, and possibly more in keeping with, say, a 5GW "political manipulator" mindset (spread a virus to certain districts, keep those populations home on voting day, win the election).

Junkenstein

Topics of upcoming Dollops include Emperor Norton and the Iraq war. Looking forward to them.

Junkenstein

New Dollop up covering John Africa, the mentally retarded founder of MOVE and writer of "The guidelines".

A bit darker than the usual stuff, but if they're willing to have a look at people like this they've got material for years to come.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on September 27, 2014, 10:05:07 AM
I know that story as well.  First real use of biological terrorism by a non-state actor....which we know of.  It does suggest biological terrorism will probably far less apocalyptic than 12 Monkeys or Fringe suggests, and possibly more in keeping with, say, a 5GW "political manipulator" mindset (spread a virus to certain districts, keep those populations home on voting day, win the election).

You may also  know/enjoy the tale of David Hahn, the boy who attempted to build a breeder reactor at home. That could (really should) have ended much worse than it did. 

Junkenstein

Still churning out quality. This week - Jack Parsons "The evil forrest gump".

Stunning, I'm quite lost for words at the moment.

Cain

Ah, Parsons.  Sexual deviant, occultist, rocket scientist and possible spy for Israel.  Also, if you believe the more "out-there" conspiracy theories, responsible for ripping a hole in reality which allows UFOs through.

Truly an accomplished man.

Junkenstein

Personally, I started to lose my shit when L. Ron hubbard came into it. It's always a solid sign that shit isn't going to end well whenever he turns up.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Junkenstein

Oh that's surely going to be worth a look.

Latest Smallop is on the Leatherman. Mainly notable and disturbing for the attitudes displayed about the homeless and mental illness at the time and how little some of these attitude have changed.

It's probably somewhat more striking for as the latest bit of news I caught was about a 90 year old man being arrested for feeding the homeless. I shouldn't be surprised at Florida, but still.

EK WAFFLR

I haven't read the biography Scott's basing his mini series on, but Feral House's Sex and Rockets is a good read.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Junkenstein

I suspect that's one of the few times I'll ever see "feral house" and "good read" in the same sentence.

It'may be unique in being true too.