News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Discordia without Discordians

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 22, 2014, 04:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlompChomp

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2014, 04:19:11 PM
As has been amply demonstrated over the last decade or so, most "discordians" are assholes.  They don't get it.  They miss the point.  From the long-lost days of the Myspace Discordians, to the cheerfully sociopathic arse biscuits on Facebook, Discordianism is basically the last excuse for assholes.  What's more, they feel that they must band together under the fart blanket, to see who can be the worst example of a human being.  If you try to reason with them, then you're doing it wrong, and they will attempt to doorstep you, or make you think they will.

This sort of thing is why "discordian" is a label I no longer apply to myself.  I don't need the label...I am what I am.  If much of what I am fits our definition of discordianism, okay...But I am more than that.  Some of what I am fits the definition of a subgenius.  But I am more than that, as well.  So I no longer identify as either.

A few weeks ago, I got mad because I caught a ration of shit after blocking a racist.  I undid the block.  Other shit happened, and the racist was gone anyway, but I was furious because PD wasn't being MY discordia.  I also spent more than a decade writing here, and often got pissed when something I had enjoyed writing sank off the page like Brittany Spears' career.  Again, I was mad because it wasn't MY discordia, and it didn't bring me the validation I craved.

Then it was pointed out to me that a lot of this was in fact based on said validation, even to the point of doing things for people that hate me.  So much for being a biped, right?  Well, nobody is expected to start out knowing everything, and even an old dog can learn new tricks.

So I do my discordia on my own, these days.  I've dropped out of the local cabals, and have in fact found that I can have a lot more fun on my own, when it comes to shoveling sand into the gearbox.  Or fixing the gearbox.  Whichever strikes my fancy on any given day.  Hell, 10 years ago I said that if you were doing it for the admiration of your peers, you were doing it wrong, and then it turns out I was doing that very thing all along.

What I need to do is get back to basics.  I don't see the need to start a multi-generational war over a snub, because that's Eris's thing, not mine.  I don't, however, see the need to perform like a circus monkey for people who hate me.  In fact, my subgenius side tells me to ramp it up and hate those people more.  Maybe I will, I don't know.  But I'm certainly not sticking my neck out for them, or writing for them ("I don't like you, but I like your writing.  Sometimes."), or associating with them, simply because life is too short. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, and I'd hate to think I would go to my maker having not hated the people who hated on me.

Discordians tend to be the most interesting people I know.  This is not to be confused with the healthiest people I know.  I love reading Hunter S Thompson, for example, but I doubt I'd have enjoyed spending 6 months with him.

So I'm flying solo, these days.  It's not for everyone, but it DOES have the added advantage of not getting poop all over your shoes when a "discordian" starts jabbering racist nonsense or starts making threats because you're doing it wrong.  I would say "you don't have to hang out with sociopaths", but the fact is that most of the people involved in all of these things DO believe people are real.  They just don't believe YOU are real.  And because of that, you have to treat them as sociopaths even though they aren't with respect to the rest of the world.

The days of the Cabal are over, I think.  Well, at least they are for me.

tl;dr, my special, unique and perfect brand of Discordianism so abstracted it is basically narcissistic solipsism with whismy, which I have understood to be the best and most pure distillation of Discordian wisdom, is being usurped by people who actually enjoyed reading RAW's works therefore Discordianism is dead.

Hint for you, the reason people use the memes is because they get it too and want you to get what they're getting without having to be a sodden pedant.

Basically your mind isn't expanded enough as you think it is, which is kind of a Cardinal Sin of the religion isn't it.

Yeah.

Yeah it is.

You devil.
widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on September 23, 2014, 12:37:46 AM
Well, there goes my bet...

You must remember, I spent YEARS losing bets with Maria and Keelin.

I have become an expert on spotting a losing proposition.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

As far as asshole up there shit posting in my thread, it kind of proves my point to a degree I couldn't possibly manage on my own.

This is precisely the product that was ordered.  Why anyone would complain when it does EXACTLY what it says on the label is beyond me.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

I polish my cynicism daily with Turtle Wax, and where does it get me?

Another day older and deeper in debt.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on September 23, 2014, 01:09:44 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

I polish my cynicism daily with Turtle Wax, and where does it get me?

Another day older and deeper in debt.

Well, here's the deal:  When we found a board that hated us but wouldn't ban us right away on principle, what happened?

Oh, yeah.  :lulz:  Swarm.

Why would anyone imagine that racists wouldn't congregate?  Hell, the asshole on TDS that's been hassling Nigel runs a white nationalist board somehow connected with Something Awful.  Do people not assume that the SAME methodology we used on Pagans wouldn't ever be used on us?

And nothing will change, because nobody here will bend, and they sure as FUCK won't do so if it means admitting I might have been right (and I have no intention of being the Big Person about this, ho ho ho, NO.  I will in fact put on stompy boots before I do my "I told you so" dance, after the way I was treated).  By this time 8 weeks from now, this place will BE TDS.

But at least Roger got shown how WRONG he is and what a NO GOOD SHIT he is.  :lulz:

Which is, after all, the important bit.

hooplala

Don't you ever get sick of being right?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on September 23, 2014, 01:22:05 AM

Not really.  I am an FMEA expert, after all.   :lulz:

I am not happy about what's happening to PD.  Hell, I helped found the place. 

But I would be lying through my teeth if I said there wasn't some serious schadenfreude going on, here.  Germans have the BEST emotions.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2014, 01:28:58 AM

But I would be lying through my teeth if I said there wasn't some serious schadenfreude going on, here.  Germans have the BEST emotions.

They do. My current favorite is weltschmerz.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on September 23, 2014, 01:32:38 AM

What are the Germans doing with French emotions?  Must be an Alsace Lorraine thing.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2014, 01:33:59 AM

What are the Germans doing with French emotions?  Must be an Alsace Lorraine thing.

It's this goddam century, Roger.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on September 23, 2014, 01:41:34 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2014, 01:33:59 AM

It's this goddam century, Roger.

This century is fucking AWESOME.  It's just that it's still contaminated with shit from 20C.  Like these racist assholes, for example.

GlompChomp

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2014, 01:43:51 AM

This century is fucking AWESOME.  It's just that it's still contaminated with shit from 20C.  Like these racist assholes, for example.

Reptilians eat Pleaidian baby dicks in Nebula Hell.

widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

Ben Shapiro

I'm a bear not a doctor Jim, so I recommend 72 hrs of Punk Rock music the more it sounds like trash can lids banging on heads the better. I look forward to the TDS coming in. I hope they stay for a long while; the peanut gallery has been rather empty now that Reverend Kurt Cobain has moved on to stealing his kid's pot.

Sita

This is why whenever asked about what label I fall under I tell them it's my own brand of insanity.
I'm a little this, a little that and at times maybe a bit of whatever is over there.

Being stuck in a box isn't really my thing. Which is something I've always known but am just now really coming to accept, and it's a bit scary quite honestly.
But at the same time I'm happier than when trying to fit some pre-made model.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.