News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Promising development in solar

Started by P3nT4gR4m, October 02, 2014, 09:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Useless? Within a generation you're enabling QVC and such shit to sell people giant rocks of what look like very flawless precious gems. The level of fraud, malfeasance and general corruption that could be enabled here is breathtaking.

I am dismayed by your lack of vision.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 03, 2014, 05:35:52 PM
Useless? Within a generation you're enabling QVC and such shit to sell people giant rocks of what look like very flawless precious gems. The level of fraud, malfeasance and general corruption that could be enabled here is breathtaking.

Hopefully not, truly flawless gems are really boring, they don't sparkle.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Cubic zirconium is cheaper to make, and it's sparkly, which is what the rubes are after.

Dull gemstones just don't make the nut in Branson, MO.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

I say to you that there's a whole category of rubes you're ignoring: Rich rubes. Never underestimate the willingness of a mark to put forward a little knowledge to help convince themselves of the value of the thing.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 03, 2014, 07:17:45 PM
I say to you that there's a whole category of rubes you're ignoring: Rich rubes. Never underestimate the willingness of a mark to put forward a little knowledge to help convince themselves of the value of the thing.

Have you ever seen a rich American do something tasteful?  Seriously, now.  YOUR blue-bloods may be inbred to the point of having flippers, but they know how to DRESS, for fuck's sake.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Where the hell is the taste in giant lumps of psuedo gems? It's got "USA" practically fucking stamped on this.

Seriously, talk to me about this when lumps are cheap. We'll be very, very rich men.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on October 03, 2014, 05:41:14 PM

Hopefully not, truly flawless gems are really boring, they don't sparkle.

This.

Also there a bit of that as a philosophical thang. It's not perfection that appeals to the mind.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

trix

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 04, 2014, 01:05:13 AM
It's not perfection that appeals to the mind.

I disagree, I cannot move on to the next level in World of Goo until I get an absolutely perfect score on the previous one.  In WoG they call this OCD, though a "perfect score" is often even higher than the official "OCD" score.

Anyway sorry for derail.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.