News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Weev now full blown white supremacist.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 04, 2014, 04:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Your Mom on October 10, 2014, 04:57:03 PM
Note that I never even vaguely suggested that we should put up with his shit. Just that there's no point in trying to understand his logic.

Yeah, I give up. From what I've gathered, he's just another fairly intelligent, self-absorbed sociopath that happened to touch on a few topics that interest me (Internet/privacy ethics and free speech).
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I found this article, which at points seemed to be talking directly to me, to be quite good though a bit generalization-heavy:

QuoteThe irony, of course, is that these same Kool-Aid vigilantes are usually great supporters of the hacker Andrew "Weev" Auernheimer – the world's most famous internet troll, the man who originally drove Sierra off the internet with threats to her real-world safety. Sierra, in explaining why she has suddenly reappeared online, insists that if Weev wants to punish women for speaking out, then people who endorse him – however tacitly – are condoning the punishment of women.

And in the last few weeks, as Weev himself has reemerged following his hacking trial, he has made it impossible to ignore his anti-Semitic and racist tendencies. The man has a giant swastika tattoo on his chest, and he willingly had a photo of it published as the main image atop the screed he published last week on a white supremacist website.

And yet many of Auernheimer's friends and advocates have not deserted him. By all accounts, Weev has charisma – it even affected Sierra, she admits – and some of the things he stands for have objective value. His championing of the right to online freedom and privacy has won him a lot of support from the Aaron Swartz crowd. But he has been sneaking poison into the cups he handed out. And the tech world has been drinking them.

There is a Poison Kool-Aid Point, but it's not where Sierra's harassers and other trolls think it is. They see it at the point where other people start listening, or start caring, or start valuing the opinion of someone who they feel speaks for them. But it's not there. It's at the point where that person starts feeding followers poison, and they take it. It's the point where people look at the hand that's holding the cup, not at its contents. That hand too often belongs to a male demagogue, and it is never bitten.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on October 11, 2014, 07:58:08 AM
Agreed, good distillation of the social contract. Thanks!

The only problem with applying the social contract to mental illness is that there are many for whom their illness precludes awareness of their illness, let alone any idea that they need help. This includes some people with tragic and debilitating illnesses such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, as well as those with obnoxious or dangerous disorders such as narcissism and psychopathy. It also potentially includes people with brain damage that makes them unable to perceive that they are injured, for example people who are partially paralyzed and yet unaware of their paralysis.

So do we make exceptions to the social contract? Do we draw the line based on whether their illness is sympathetic? And what do we, as a society, do with people whose illnesses make them unlikable or dangerous?

Just some food for thought, not really presenting an argument one way or the other.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

Many times the hardest part is getting someone to admit or realize they have a problem.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: N E T on October 11, 2014, 09:01:11 AM
I found this article, which at points seemed to be talking directly to me, to be quite good though a bit generalization-heavy:

QuoteThe irony, of course, is that these same Kool-Aid vigilantes are usually great supporters of the hacker Andrew "Weev" Auernheimer – the world's most famous internet troll, the man who originally drove Sierra off the internet with threats to her real-world safety. Sierra, in explaining why she has suddenly reappeared online, insists that if Weev wants to punish women for speaking out, then people who endorse him – however tacitly – are condoning the punishment of women.

And in the last few weeks, as Weev himself has reemerged following his hacking trial, he has made it impossible to ignore his anti-Semitic and racist tendencies. The man has a giant swastika tattoo on his chest, and he willingly had a photo of it published as the main image atop the screed he published last week on a white supremacist website.

And yet many of Auernheimer's friends and advocates have not deserted him. By all accounts, Weev has charisma – it even affected Sierra, she admits – and some of the things he stands for have objective value. His championing of the right to online freedom and privacy has won him a lot of support from the Aaron Swartz crowd. But he has been sneaking poison into the cups he handed out. And the tech world has been drinking them.

There is a Poison Kool-Aid Point, but it's not where Sierra's harassers and other trolls think it is. They see it at the point where other people start listening, or start caring, or start valuing the opinion of someone who they feel speaks for them. But it's not there. It's at the point where that person starts feeding followers poison, and they take it. It's the point where people look at the hand that's holding the cup, not at its contents. That hand too often belongs to a male demagogue, and it is never bitten.

Love how they established that the reason Weev gets away with being an asshole is charisma, and then immediately decided that, no wait, the reason is he has a penis. Also, blogging about tech = POWER.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on October 12, 2014, 03:44:45 AM
Quote from: N E T on October 11, 2014, 09:01:11 AM

Love how they established that the reason Weev gets away with being an asshole is charisma, and then immediately decided that, no wait, the reason is he has a penis. Also, blogging about tech = POWER.

I read that as simply addressing the fact that in our culture, toxic charismatics tend to be more likely  to be male rather than female.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."