News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

On Who I Am & What The Hell I'm Doing On Your Lawn!

Started by The Wizard Joseph, October 04, 2014, 08:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

When I first showed up here at PD I had basically just decided to dive in and see what would come of it. I had a head full of preconceived ideas about Discordianism, that mainly proved WRONG, and a heart full of agendas that have since proven unworkable or that I need much greater maturity to enact. And some few that I realized were BAD IDEAS, thanks to this place and it's denizens, even if I could get them off the ground. 

Moreover I was in the throes. The Goddess Eris had really worked me over good. My head was quite firmly wedged twixt my butt cheeks but not totally up my ass. She's such a peach. These days I feel I've extricated myself, but still stand as a bit of a shithead.

I portrayed myself as what I imagined myself or hoped to be, not what I am. I won't call this a mistake anymore than I would call puking at a wild party a mistake.  I had the poison in me, did it to myself.  Had I missed the metaphorical bucket THAT could have been tragic. For me. Just another day at the bus stop for the regulars here.

There's a lot that I've learned about the folks here just by reading what's been shared. I have not truly reciprocated much to date and have no wish to just be some creeper that pops in and out.
So here's who I am.
I'm a dude from Wisconsin. I'm the product of multiple improbable circumstances wrapped up in a plain paper bag.

My mom descended from a long line of  mostly Irish trash and suffered a shattered home, several tragic deaths, and much abuse before being taken in by very loving, if somewhat ignorant, Iowa Baptist foster parents. I have many scattered cousins and half or full aunts and uncles all over the country on her side. I'm not very close with most.

My dad was born to a Roman Protestant Mason father (figure THAT one out)  and a nondenominational Sicilian mother(a match ONLY in America) that had been excommunicated from the Catholic Church for marrying a sonofabitch and shortly after deciding to divorce him to save herself. She moved from Jersey to Wisconsin where they met. My dad's parents stayed together until Death kept his appointments. It was not peaceful or easy, but it was familia. A big one, boomer generation style.

My folks raised me and my 2 younger brothers, 18 months and 3.5 years younger, as well as they could. It is said that parenting is the last great profession left exclusively to amateurs. They did their best to keep up with the Joneses in boomer fashion and raise nice little super babies. It didn't last long, but in our early years my brothers and I got better education than most by far.

I was weaned on classical music, baby books on anatomy and science, the B.I.B.L.E. and also folklore from around the world read to me as a child by my dad. My folks had purchased a huge encyclopedic set for the purpose long since lost. I got as much Childe Roland, Jack the Giant Killer, and Japanese or African fables as I did David and Goliath etc.

I could identify what season from Vivaldi's Four Seasons was playing in kindergarten. I knew my larynx from my esophagus, and that skin was called a dermis. I knew not to run widdershins around a church three times unless you really meant it. I knew God loved me and everyone and that He was down for some serious giant slaying.
My parents had lovingly built a freak and I had trouble as soon as I had to mix with the genpop in public school.

More later... as I can.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nice to meet you, Joe. Welcome to the journey! I have no idea where any of us are going, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a hell of a trip.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Skinsaw on October 04, 2014, 10:43:56 PM
Nice to meet you, Joe. Welcome to the journey! I have no idea where any of us are going, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a hell of a trip.

Happy to be here! Life could have served up far worse, that's a fact.

Guess we shall see where things go, but I'm gonna learn stuff and lend what talents I may.
I sincerely believe this thing some call Discordia has a very long way to go yet.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 05, 2014, 10:08:24 AM

I sincerely believe this thing some call Discordia has a very long way to go yet.

It has a lot in common with Systems Science, it seems.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Your writing style is quite readable, which is more rare than one would think.  Liking it so far.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 06, 2014, 11:55:42 AM
Your writing style is quite readable, which is more rare than one would think.  Liking it so far.

Thanks!  It's a slow process, but I'm getting better at using the Android interface on my phone. I never was a fast typist. I also tend to self edit a lot as I go. It slows me some, but helps me be concise.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Your Mom on October 06, 2014, 12:59:28 AM

Not sure what that is. Will look into it. Is it a form of information science?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 06, 2014, 03:56:34 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_science

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Your Mom on October 06, 2014, 04:02:10 PM

:lol: thanks! I'll bookmark it and look into when I get a break here.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 06, 2014, 04:10:09 PM

Sounds like a sort of science MMA. All the interdisciplinary stuff appeals to me quite a bit.

Also seems to have sprouted around the time the PD was getting put together IIRC.

"The founders of the systems movement likeLudwig von Bertalanffy, Kenneth Boulding, Ralph Gerard,James Grier Miller, George J. Klir,and Anatol Rapoportwere all born between 1900 and 1920. They all came from different natural and social science disciplines and joined forces in the 1950s to establish the general systems theory paradigm."

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 06, 2014, 06:32:48 PM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 06, 2014, 04:10:09 PM

Sounds like a sort of science MMA. All the interdisciplinary stuff appeals to me quite a bit.

Also seems to have sprouted around the time the PD was getting put together IIRC.

"The founders of the systems movement likeLudwig von Bertalanffy, Kenneth Boulding, Ralph Gerard,James Grier Miller, George J. Klir,and Anatol Rapoportwere all born between 1900 and 1920. They all came from different natural and social science disciplines and joined forces in the 1950s to establish the general systems theory paradigm."

It's kind of nice because it provides the sort of ecological perspective that it seems like non-biological sciences tend to omit, which is particularly unfortunate when it comes to social sciences.

LMNO

I'm a little bit pissed that I didn't realize this was a thing when I was in school.  I have a feeling I would have been good at it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 07, 2014, 12:12:03 PM
I'm a little bit pissed that I didn't realize this was a thing when I was in school.  I have a feeling I would have been good at it.

Yeah, I could definitely see it being something you would get into.

Also, hilariously, the systems science graduate program here is housed in the Harder House.

:lmnuendo:

LMNO

trix

Well, if I had a lawn, I'd welcome you to trample all over that shit.

Since I do not, I instead welcome you to trample all over my Discordia.

Yes, MY Discordia.  I own it.  All of it.  And you fuckers still owe me royalties.

I should probably read the OP, or really any of the posts in this thread, rather than just replying to the title, but I'm overtired and if I was to give a fuck it would have to be to my SO, even though I'm sure you are hot stuff.

Whatever I'm going to bed.  I'll read this thread tomorrow and then realize how stupid I am, yet again.  Gotta have something to look forward to, ya know.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.