News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

On Who I Am & What The Hell I'm Doing On Your Lawn!

Started by The Wizard Joseph, October 04, 2014, 08:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on February 17, 2015, 11:07:42 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 22, 2014, 08:56:24 PM

I spent all the time I could playing with the paint program (Macpaint) and playing what games I could find. I remember Dark Castle particularly well. My brothers were also fascinated, especially by the games, but had been deemed too young to touch it by Mom Inc. This did not exactly stop them.

Macpaint and Dark Castle were the bomb-diggity. Sometimes the color would stop working on the Mac I had but the programs still worked.

The first pc comp I got around 8th grade or freshmen year was a hand me down from an aunt. Monochrome amber screen, dos, Lotus books. I found games. The thing was magic to me!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

axod

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 18, 2015, 02:15:57 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 17, 2015, 10:05:59 PM
My youngest had a very, very, very good 5th grade teacher. One of the few. She and her classmates talk about him with great fondness and regret that he is no longer at their school, because he inspired them to want to work hard and do well.

Some of the few classes that I actually did homework in were out of respect for a teacher that either called me out on my shitty attitude or earned my respect by otherwise giving a shit. I wasn't many. I'm really glad your daughter has had at least one good one so far, and yeah they don't tend to last long.

The one I remember best was a science teacher named Dilly.  If you slept in his class he'd quietly walk over to a lab table, pull a support rod, drop it next to your desk to wake you and ask a question relevant to what he was teaching that day.

We bonded when I answered and promised to stop napping. He was good shit.

Just wanted to share how it was also due to some awesome science teachers that I eventually started engaging my education, round about 9th grade.  Made all the difference for me.  I recoil at thinking about where I would still be now were it not for their interest and encouragement.  And I still relish the moment I got them to admit that they were, like me, ultimately unaware of the fundemental nature and workings of "reality".
just this

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: axod on February 18, 2015, 02:41:26 AM
My youngest had a very, very, very good 5th grade teacher. One of the few. She and her classmates talk about him with great fondness and regret that he is no longer at their school, because he inspired them to want to work hard and do well.

Some of the few classes that I actually did homework in were out of respect for a teacher that either called me out on my shitty attitude or earned my respect by otherwise giving a shit. I wasn't many. I'm really glad your daughter has had at least one good one so far, and yeah they don't tend to last long.

The one I remember best was a science teacher named Dilly.  If you slept in his class he'd quietly walk over to a lab table, pull a support rod, drop it next to your desk to wake you and ask a question relevant to what he was teaching that day.

Just wanted to share how it was also due to some awesome science teachers that I eventually started engaging my education, round about 9th grade.  Made all the difference for me.  I recoil at thinking about where I would still be now were it not for their interest and encouragement.  And I still relish the moment I got them to admit that they were, like me, ultimately unaware of the fundemental nature and workings of "reality".

If anything Mr. Dilly showed me how little I really knew. Not just about science but about how normal people SEE reality in a social and personal context. Helped me understand science and the art of living. And part of my rationale for continuing to. I can earnestly say I doubt I really taught him much or brought him to doubt reason, but he already understood that the thing was a construct. So is a microscope. You use a microscope for microscoping not to listen to a Symphony or fix a broken heart. Same with reason, you can get by without it but it lets you see what you otherwise will surely miss and THAT helps you live.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

axod

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 18, 2015, 03:36:16 PM
Quote from: axod on February 18, 2015, 02:41:26 AM

If anything Mr. Dilly showed me how little I really knew. Not just about science but about how normal people SEE reality in a social and personal context. Helped me understand science and the art of living. And part of my rationale for continuing to. I can earnestly say I doubt I really taught him much or brought him to doubt reason, but he already understood that the thing was a construct. So is a microscope. You use a microscope for microscoping not to listen to a Symphony or fix a broken heart. Same with reason, you can get by without it but it lets you see what you otherwise will surely miss and THAT helps you live.
My Mr. Dilly helped me set-up SLIP for Spry's Mosaic and only professed knowledge of answers to the extent nescesary for my sustained interest in education, with skillfull means.  That, and he banged all the hot moms and grew pot at home.  So much cooler :p
just this

Johannes

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 06, 2014, 04:02:10 PM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 06, 2014, 03:56:34 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 06, 2014, 12:59:28 AM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 05, 2014, 10:08:24 AM

I sincerely believe this thing some call Discordia has a very long way to go yet.

It has a lot in common with Systems Science, it seems.

Not sure what that is. Will look into it. Is it a form of information science?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_science

Hello,

Any recommended links or books regarding the subject?

J

LMNO

Per some of Nigel's recommendations, I'm currently reading "Thinking in Systems" by Donella Meadows, and after that, I'll be reading "Leadership and the New Science" by Margaret Wheatley.

Johannes

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 20, 2015, 01:12:09 PM
Per some of Nigel's recommendations, I'm currently reading "Thinking in Systems" by Donella Meadows, and after that, I'll be reading "Leadership and the New Science" by Margaret Wheatley.

Thank you very much.  8)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 20, 2015, 01:12:09 PM

Oooooh I'm glad you're reading those! They seemed up your alley.  :)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

For the record, the entire field of Ecology arose from Systems Science. I didn't know that until I took that Systems Science class last  term.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Funny you guys should bring up the systems science again. Was just thinking about investigating it more thoroughly last night. Maybe even taking it up if I really feel it's right. We shall see. I WILL get a higher education, but the subjects I take up I'm not clear on just yet. I might go for technical school on media production.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 20, 2015, 03:31:18 PM
Funny you guys should bring up the systems science again. Was just thinking about investigating it more thoroughly last night. Maybe even taking it up if I really feel it's right. We shall see. I WILL get a higher education, but the subjects I take up I'm not clear on just yet. I might go for technical school on media production.

Best way  to figure out what subject to study in college is to start college and take a bunch of classes.

Seriously, it really is.

Demolition Squid

You can't do that in the UK unfortunately. (Are you UK, Joe? For some reason I got it in my head you are...)

ETA: Or I could reread the OP and not be a dork. I blame sleep deprivation. Yes! Nigel's advice sounds very sound to me.  :oops:
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 21, 2015, 03:33:27 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 20, 2015, 03:31:18 PM

Best way  to figure out what subject to study in college is to start college and take a bunch of classes.

Seriously, it really is.

Well jumping in with no real plan as such has worked out for me so far. :)

Think you're correct. Might be best to start getting the leg work in for general admission.  UWLaX and a Tec school are each like a mile away.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Demolition Squid on February 21, 2015, 11:05:48 AM
You can't do that in the UK unfortunately. (Are you UK, Joe? For some reason I got it in my head you are...)

ETA: Or I could reread the OP and not be a dork. I blame sleep deprivation. Yes! Nigel's advice sounds very sound to me.  :oops:

I'll take it as complimentary to my English skillz that you would believe this without other info. :)

I'm a Midwestern American born and raised in Wisconsin. Also probably have the potential to be a polyglot, but never have buckled down to fluency in anything but English and it's various American dialects. Cheers!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on February 21, 2015, 11:05:48 AM

You guys don't have any flexibility the first two years? That's only the second thing I've ever heard about the UK college system that isn't superior to the US college system.

Here, the undergraduate electives are such that you can take a fairly wide variety of classes before choosing a major.