News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

A Thwid, gá dom a fhios conas a rá "cait" as Gaeilge

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 05, 2014, 10:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

It basically means you can divide by zero and not get infinity, and multiply by infinity and not get infinity.

And vice-versa.  In limited cases.

Calc III ruined my life.  Nothing means anything, and we're just a large vacuum burp.  So I quit and found something to do that was full of seedy, sordid shit that doesn't challenge my basic perception of the universe.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 04, 2014, 02:56:11 AM
It basically means you can divide by zero and not get infinity, and multiply by infinity and not get infinity.

Calc III ruined my life.  Nothing means anything, and we're just a large vacuum burp.  So I quit and found something to do that was full of seedy, sordid shit that doesn't challenge my basic perception of the universe.

It's probably good that I didn't go down the calculus rabbit-hole, I would have gotten stuck there and never come back out to do biology.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 04, 2014, 02:59:43 AM

It's probably good that I didn't go down the calculus rabbit-hole, I would have gotten stuck there and never come back out to do biology.

Yeah, it's like the pots drug.  It promises you the secrets of the universe, and then you wake up crusted in your own filth with a Taylor Polynomial still stuck in your arm.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 04, 2014, 03:05:00 AM
Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 04, 2014, 02:59:43 AM

Yeah, it's like the pots drug.  It promises you the secrets of the universe, and then you wake up crusted in your own filth with a Taylor Polynomial still stuck in your arm.

:lulz:

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 04, 2014, 02:30:02 AM
Quote from: Ragret on November 03, 2014, 05:29:23 PM
Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on October 30, 2014, 03:50:01 AM
I mean, infinity divided by any number is still infinity, so it seems like mathematically nothing changes except the parameters in which infinity is contained. It's sort of like an asymptote; the line can get closer to the asymptote forever without ever reaching zero. So the mathematical probability wouldn't change at all; only the quadrant in which you would find that probability.
Huh, I was thinking more of the potential chemical applications.
This may open up all new electron configurations in atoms, allowing currently impossible molecules to be created.
I'm dubious about finding stable configurations though, that may just be impossible.

:scientist:

(Not really, sadly)

I don't understand how, and though while granted I haven't taken all that much chemistry, I do think I've taken enough to have a decent grasp on fundamental electron behavior. Can you explain how you think that might work?
I was thinking of excluding certain electron orbitals, though now that I think about it it would just be another way to ionize something because the moment you stop excluding, the norm steps back in. alternative stable configurations are impossible by definition.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

I was thinking of the old addage "it all adds up to normal".  Every new, weird, non-intuitive thing we find doesn't necessarily mean we have to rethink everything, because that weird, non-intuitive thing was already there before we came across it.  Which means, essentially, nothing really changes just because we know this now.

I mean, it's still fascinating, and we might be able to tie a few more facts together, but we don't really need to come up with a new cosmology or reality grid. 

My "adding zero" comment was alluding to math equations that can be solved by adding a zero to the equation, or multiplying by one.  You're not changing the answer, and you're not really changing the question, you're just making it a bit easier to figure out.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 05, 2014, 01:35:12 PM
I was thinking of the old addage "it all adds up to normal".  Every new, weird, non-intuitive thing we find doesn't necessarily mean we have to rethink everything, because that weird, non-intuitive thing was already there before we came across it.  Which means, essentially, nothing really changes just because we know this now.

I mean, it's still fascinating, and we might be able to tie a few more facts together, but we don't really need to come up with a new cosmology or reality grid. 

My "adding zero" comment was alluding to math equations that can be solved by adding a zero to the equation, or multiplying by one.  You're not changing the answer, and you're not really changing the question, you're just making it a bit easier to figure out.

Oh, like adding zeros to both sides and then dividing? True.

And yeah, what this does for us isn't change anything about reality, but rather, get us incrementally closer to understanding what the hell the deal with electrons is.

I find them fascinating.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO

Have you heard the one about "it's all the same electron"?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 05, 2014, 05:15:27 PM
Have you heard the one about "it's all the same electron"?

Yeah, that's a good one! Feynman was a funny guy. I have the full set of his lecture recordings.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Pope Pixie Pickle

i edited fread title because it starts off all wanking wiff  handpuppets and gaelic cats and keeps confusing me