News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Epistle to the Powerlifters

Started by Doktor Howl, October 16, 2014, 07:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Shut up.

Seriously, shut the fuck up.  I know you enjoy what we do.  I enjoy what we do.  But you have to face facts...People who DON'T enjoy what we do don't want to hear about it.  Why?  Because when you talk to people about this "sport" (it's not a sport, it's exercise), one of two things are happening:

1.  You're bragging about how much you managed to get off the ground or off the rack or whatever, and boasting is BORING, or

2.  You're spewing incomprehensible jargon at them and making them hate you.

Jabbering about lifting to non-lifters is to them what listening to crossfit cultists is to us.  Or the 420/smoke every day crowd.  Or Doctor Who fans.  Or Star Wars cosplayers.  Or the guy who just HAS to tell you about his awesome D&D character.

No shit, that's really what it's like.  Hell, I got into this DESPITE hearing about it, not BECAUSE I heard about it.  In fact, I put it off for MONTHS because people I know do it and WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Now, when we are talking to each other about what we do, that's different.  We are enthusiasts.  We enjoy it. 

But we have to remember that boring tons of people with the minutia of what we do isn't going to bring people it; it will actually drive them away.
Molon Lube

notloki

This apply to all fan of everything.  Video Game, Futball, all stuff.

I very much agree!

Your friend,
notloki

Doktor Howl

Quote from: notloki on October 16, 2014, 08:38:48 PM
This apply to all fan of everything.  Video Game, Futball, all stuff.

Yep.  But here in Fat City™, powerlifters are particularly obnoxious.
Molon Lube

trix

:lulz:

Fuck yeah those guys are why I hate the gym.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

EK WAFFLR

Wait, are you talking about this forum or your gym?
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on October 16, 2014, 09:06:56 PM
Wait, are you talking about this forum or your gym?

I am talking about the majority (though certainly not all) of powerlifters.

You're fine.  I hope I've been fine.

My brother is a tard.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Slyph

When people tell me they can lift (x)lbs I have no frame of reference so I don't know if it's good or not :/

Ben Shapiro

It's true.

We can only stand each other.

Here's a video of Roger and I meeting for the first time. Mad props to Roger for looking that good at his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqqS8Q8osuQ

notloki

No flash so tell notloki, very much blood?

notloki expect blood. TGRR have reputation.

Ben Shapiro

One gaze at Bears and you get pacified.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Derrick Broze on October 16, 2014, 11:18:18 PM
One gaze at Bears and you get pacified.

Balls.  The only reason he didn't punch you in the brains is that he's, yanno, dead.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also, when TGRR flexed, blood came out of his eyes.  Astigmatism, they call it  Saints used to do that shit.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

notloki