News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Now endorsed by Foodbabe!

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 27, 2014, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on December 05, 2014, 03:01:19 PM
I need a topic for my final research paper and I'm at a dead loss. Anyone have any questions that might could have a legal answer?

I started trying to find a theory for action against people who trafficked pics from the fappening. Problem with that topic is that the paper has to include statute and case law. Problem with this state (and most others) is that there's no fucking statute that addresses trafficking in stolen private pictures.

How about a paper on dental clinics refusing to release dental records on the basis that since they were paid for by state health insurance, they don't really belong to the patient?
:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 05, 2014, 03:22:59 PM
I need a topic for my final research paper and I'm at a dead loss. Anyone have any questions that might could have a legal answer?

I started trying to find a theory for action against people who trafficked pics from the fappening. Problem with that topic is that the paper has to include statute and case law. Problem with this state (and most others) is that there's no fucking statute that addresses trafficking in stolen private pictures.

How about a paper on dental clinics refusing to release dental records on the basis that since they were paid for by state health insurance, they don't really belong to the patient?

OMG YES! That is perfect actually.

...I mean for research purposes. Not to deal with. But...well...you know :oops:
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on December 05, 2014, 03:34:21 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 05, 2014, 03:22:59 PM

OMG YES! That is perfect actually.

...I mean for research purposes. Not to deal with. But...well...you know :oops:

Yay! I love it when shit turns out to be useful in some way.

True story: I asked to come pick up my X-rays and the receptionist said "we don't do that".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And I just filed a complaint with the US HHS, and later today when I'm on campus will be printing out a complaint to mail to Oregon Health Authority.

Someone isn't going to have a good day. In a few months after the wheels of bureaucracy get around to it. :) I am mainly complaining because I get the impression that this is a woefully common occurrence, but that people seldom make official complaints about it so clinics just think they can get away with it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 05, 2014, 04:09:09 PM
And I just filed a complaint with the US HHS, and later today when I'm on campus will be printing out a complaint to mail to Oregon Health Authority.

Someone isn't going to have a good day. In a few months after the wheels of bureaucracy get around to it. :) I am mainly complaining because I get the impression that this is a woefully common occurrence, but that people seldom make official complaints about it so clinics just think they can get away with it.

It's a bureaucracy thing.  There's a certain type of bureaucrat who automatically says "No", because it's easier, there's less risk usually associated with it, and because they can.
Molon Lube

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 05, 2014, 04:24:20 PM

It's a bureaucracy thing.  There's a certain type of bureaucrat who automatically says "No", because it's easier, there's less risk usually associated with it, and because they can.

Which is not always a bad thing. Speaking as a former records office employee who was well trained in various ways to say no to the FBI and other law enforcement agencies.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 05, 2014, 04:24:20 PM

And HIPAA be damned!  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In this case, though, I think it's probably more of a "we don't want to transfer records because it makes it too easy for clients to go to a different dentist" thing.

It's a pretty bad move, though, because HIPAA is one of those things that it's really not a good idea to violate if most of your money comes from a contract with the state.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 05, 2014, 04:48:57 PM
In this case, though, I think it's probably more of a "we don't want to transfer records because it makes it too easy for clients to go to a different dentist" thing.

It's a pretty bad move, though, because HIPAA is one of those things that it's really not a good idea to violate if most of your money comes from a contract with the state.

Fucking with HIPAA in general is a bad idea. That piece of legislation has been known to level whole cities for failure to use approved screen guards.

LMNO

Thanks, Nigel.  I've definitely got enough, now.

In other news, I've got a nasty cold, so I'm in bed watching Kung Fu flicks on Netflix, and eating noodles in dashi with the last of the turkey.

So, I feel like crap, but my surroundings are awesome.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 05, 2014, 06:40:53 PM
Thanks, Nigel.  I've definitely got enough, now.

In other news, I've got a nasty cold, so I'm in bed watching Kung Fu flicks on Netflix, and eating noodles in dashi with the last of the turkey.

So, I feel like crap, but my surroundings are awesome.
Jealous.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on December 05, 2014, 05:02:06 PM

Fucking with HIPAA in general is a bad idea. That piece of legislation has been known to level whole cities for failure to use approved screen guards.

On the ongoing saga of Who Do My X-rays Belong To, today when I explained that they are actually breaking the law, the receptionist asked me "how does it violate HIPAA?"

And then I name-dropped my attorney.

Trivial

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 05, 2014, 09:02:59 PM

On the ongoing saga of Who Do My X-rays Belong To, today when I explained that they are actually breaking the law, the receptionist asked me "how does it violate HIPAA?"

Um, the whole portability part I would think...
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial on December 06, 2014, 12:43:35 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 05, 2014, 09:02:59 PM

Um, the whole portability part I would think...

I somehow don't think this clinic bothered with that whole "HIPAA training" concept.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So this is apropos of nothing, but my housemate just got word that his crazy ex-girlfriend beat the shit out of her homeless elderly alcoholic boyfriend. In public.

I don't even know what to say. She's like 36, he's about 60, and pathetic and harmless. It's horrifying.