News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Now endorsed by Foodbabe!

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 27, 2014, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: N E T on November 29, 2014, 07:17:23 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 29, 2014, 07:02:42 PM
Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on November 29, 2014, 12:18:31 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 29, 2014, 08:12:23 AM
The last time someone drew me into a political argument at work, he was an unabashed supporter of UKIP, thought we should close the borders entirely, go to war with Iran and felt teachers should have their wages halved.

This is why I dont discuss politics at work.

Normally they're extremely well-behaved at work. I think I've heard a controversial topic like that come up maybe twice in the 13 months or so I've been there.

But someone had to explain why the traffic was backed up in New York City, and it snowballed into such brilliant quips as "I guess some people just don't want to accept reality, the grand jury ruled and that's that" and "they're still mad about Rodney King."

Yeah, I didn't have much of a say in it either.  I literally have to say "stfu, I don't want to talk about this and stop trying to force me" to get him to shut up.

I suggest you issue challenges to a mandingo bout. I mean, you could argue facts, but people who rely on such a blatant appeal to authority aren't really looking for an actual argument anyway.  I don't know what they are looking for, but it's hardly to be persuaded or to persuade others.

Fair enough.

I like to get these people all wound up by relentlessly questioning their assumptions by restating what they're saying until I gain agreement ad nauseam.

I have an unhealthy level of curiosity and patience towards these things. No matter how awful the precipitating statements are, they always can be goaded into saying something magnificently more awful.

When you have the the time, that's a good method too.

Unfortunately, asshat in question was doing all this while we were trying to care for people with Alzheimers, on a long, busy and ultimately under-staffed night shift. 

So in addition to being a complete bore he was avoiding his job duties and making mine more difficult.

Eater of Clowns

I like to assure them that their moronic ideas have no place in this day, and their dinosaur selves will conveniently die and their abhorrent ideas will die with them. Nobody invites me to the office parties.  :sad:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I thought wine sounded like a good idea last night.

It wasn't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

I had three beers last night. A mild migraine today. All in all, a joyous occasion.

Also, my grampa's funeral was on friday. A really beautiful sermon, and the priest, a young man with pierced ears who looked kinda like my little brother, was great.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

I'm feeling a kind of unfocused anxiety right now which is ... horrible.

Usually I distract myself with video games, but despite having some of the best games I've ever had, some of which I've been waiting for about a year to play, I can't focus on them long enough to enjoy them. Which means I don't want to try and play them anyway, because I'll just ruin them for myself for later. Bleh.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Pope Pixie Pickle

did steward the Reclaim the Night march last night. today i am tired and glad there's no more activism that i'm involved in planning/running for a few months, as we did Trans Day of Remembrance the week before.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11635992.Scores_turn_out_to_Reclaim_the_Night_in_Southampton/?ref=fbshr

minuspace

Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on November 30, 2014, 08:50:47 PM
did steward the Reclaim the Night march last night. today i am tired and glad there's no more activism that i'm involved in planning/running for a few months, as we did Trans Day of Remembrance the week before.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11635992.Scores_turn_out_to_Reclaim_the_Night_in_Southampton/?ref=fbshr

Props -

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm having a very hard time focusing on my homework. I really need to read two more chapters tonight, and it's not really just reading, it's mentally thinking through the mechanisms and drawing them out, and it's super time-consuming.

Which is why I really should finish while I'm still reasonably alert.

Demolition Squid

Most of the time I like working from home; the office can get really dull, since I'm quite often the only one there, and the internet is worse (which actively makes it more difficult to do my job).

But some days like today - where I get to point out that no, boss, the problem isn't with me, or our system, the problem is that you do not read the emails I send you, I really wish I could do it face to face.

Particularly since the evidence shows I'll have to tell him three or four times before he actually reads it.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on December 01, 2014, 01:18:38 PM
Most of the time I like working from home; the office can get really dull, since I'm quite often the only one there, and the internet is worse (which actively makes it more difficult to do my job).

But some days like today - where I get to point out that no, boss, the problem isn't with me, or our system, the problem is that you do not read the emails I send you, I really wish I could do it face to face.

Particularly since the evidence shows I'll have to tell him three or four times before he actually reads it.

:lulz:

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

Just wait till you see how they make bagels...

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube