News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Someone started talking about "traditional values being lost" on Facebook.

Started by POFP, November 17, 2014, 07:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 20, 2014, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 20, 2014, 06:49:08 AM
I would go farther than merely dismissing the notion of "traditional values". I would also furthermore add that, the the extent that they are a valid concept, they are not "the standard that kept us going" so much as "the weight that held us back" (or possibly more of an "albatross hanging around our neck")

Held us back from what exactly?
I would say: Even faster scientific advancement.
We could have flying cars now if traditional values didn't force people to put such a high value on life.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Q. G. Pennyworth

It's hard to quantify what is lost when half your population is barred from the sciences.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 20, 2014, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 20, 2014, 06:49:08 AM
I would go farther than merely dismissing the notion of "traditional values". I would also furthermore add that, the the extent that they are a valid concept, they are not "the standard that kept us going" so much as "the weight that held us back" (or possibly more of an "albatross hanging around our neck")

Held us back from what exactly?

Social justice mostly. Also scientific advancement, especially in the field of biology (although modern values are an impediment to biological research as well, albeit in different and generally more justified ways; less worry about "playing god" more corcern about lab animals suffering and the trumped up possibility of gm crops somehow screwing up ecosystems)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

The Roman Empire was ethnically and religiously pluralistic to a point that it seems cosmopolitan even by modern standards,  And it was hardly unique in this respect, historically.

There's a lot of historical strawmanning and curiously linear conceptions of progress ITT.

Reginald Ret

Damn, Cain made me realize something I had forgotten: I don't believe in progress (most of the time).

Allow me to explain my position:
People are idiots.
Making more idiots is not progress.
Making idiots live longer is not progress.
Giving idiots bigger bombs is not progress.

The only thing that comes close is sending idiots into space, but even then we manage to fuck it up: The international space station? What the fuck is the concept of nationalism doing in space? you drew your lines on the ground map so you get to stay on the ground you smarmy little small-minded fucks!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on November 20, 2014, 05:00:14 PM
Damn, Cain made me realize something I had forgotten: I don't believe in progress (most of the time).

People are idiots.

The only thing that comes close is sending idiots into space, but even then we manage to fuck it up: The international space station? What the fuck is the concept of nationalism doing in space? you drew your lines on the ground map so you get to stay on the ground you smarmy little small-minded fucks!

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

I'd just point out, like I did, that some ideas concerning equality and the universality of humanity pre-date the 20th century by quite a bit, and the idea that history = bad and modernity = good is as childlike as the belief that "traditional values" = good and modernity = bad.

Which brings me onto another point.  The whole idea of traditional values is laughable.  It's either a bastardised, misremembered, idealised and watered down version of percieved 1950s social mores, or "Victorian" values minus all the bits that people don't like talking about (like the very bawdy jokes, the nude photographs, the "penny dreadfuls", rampant drug use etc).  It's make believe, a story for children. It's also incredibly ethnocentric, as it ignores the social and scientific progress that occured under Islam or in the Russian republics, to focus on an exclusively Western "rise from barbarity narrative" (which also conveniently sidesteps the Greco-Roman heritage of Western civilization...probably due to all the paganism, buggery, wine and debauchery).

People in the past were just as honourable, depraved, corrupt, loveable and terrible as modern people - because, y'know, there was the common denominator in that they were people. 

LMNO

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

So, indefinite detention, blatant public disdain for "due process", an economy built on the mindless consumption of gadgets, made from minerals mined by slaves and built by not-technically-slaves for 2 cents an hour, the open use of torture, pre-emptive war, and the absolute desolation of the earth for material gain. But now black people can go to college (just in time for college to become irrelevant) so it balances out.

I realize that everyone born before this generation was an unenlightened shitlord and all thought pre-Bell Hooks was just a stepping stone to the glorious post-racial/patriarchial future that is soon to come, but maybe we threw out the baby with the bathwater. The founding fathers were racists and hypocrites, but I still think the 4th amendment was a swell idea and maybe some nostalgia for it is justified. Not just for it, but for any ideal higher than the sociopathic pursuit of personal wealth. Granted, Id take an equal opportunity kleptocracy over a discriminatory one, but Id take ripping out the hearts of virgins to appease Quetzalcoatl over either. Quetzolcoatl only wanted the Aztecs to conquer and murder most of South America. Our Gods want to pave over the whole planet and turn it into a hybrid labor camp/shopping mall.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2014, 05:27:01 PM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on November 20, 2014, 05:00:14 PM

People are idiots.

I'd just point out, like I did, that some ideas concerning equality and the universality of humanity pre-date the 20th century by quite a bit, and the idea that history = bad and modernity = good is as childlike as the belief that "traditional values" = good and modernity = bad.

Which brings me onto another point.  The whole idea of traditional values is laughable.  It's either a bastardised, misremembered, idealised and watered down version of percieved 1950s social mores, or "Victorian" values minus all the bits that people don't like talking about (like the very bawdy jokes, the nude photographs, the "penny dreadfuls", rampant drug use etc).  It's make believe, a story for children. It's also incredibly ethnocentric, as it ignores the social and scientific progress that occured under Islam or in the Russian republics, to focus on an exclusively Western "rise from barbarity narrative" (which also conveniently sidesteps the Greco-Roman heritage of Western civilization...probably due to all the paganism, buggery, wine and debauchery).

People in the past were just as honourable, depraved, corrupt, loveable and terrible as modern people - because, y'know, there was the common denominator in that they were people.
Quite well said. (all of it, not just the bolded.)

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 20, 2014, 05:32:44 PM
People are idiots.

Why would I believe any argument made by a self-professed idiot?
:lulz: Because at least those people are being honest about themselves. Be wary of those who call themselves wise.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 20, 2014, 05:40:06 PM
So, indefinite detention, blatant public disdain for "due process", an economy built on the mindless consumption of gadgets, made from minerals mined by slaves and built by not-technically-slaves for 2 cents an hour, the open use of torture, pre-emptive war, and the absolute desolation of the earth for material gain. But now black people can go to college (just in time for college to become irrelevant) so it balances out.

I realize that everyone born before this generation was an unenlightened shitlord and all thought pre-Bell Hooks was just a stepping stone to the glorious post-racial/patriarchial future that is soon to come, but maybe we threw out the baby with the bathwater. The founding fathers were racists and hypocrites, but I still think the 4th amendment was a swell idea and maybe some nostalgia for it is justified. Not just for it, but for any ideal higher than the sociopathic pursuit of personal wealth. Granted, Id take an equal opportunity kleptocracy over a discriminatory one, but Id take ripping out the hearts of virgins to appease Quetzalcoatl over either. Quetzolcoatl only wanted the Aztecs to conquer and murder most of South America. Our Gods want to pave over the whole planet and turn it into a hybrid labor camp/shopping mall.
Quetzacotl wanted neither, he just liked watching football. It is not his fault that his chosen people were too dumb to seen the difference between a ball and an enemy's head.

Also, I find your implication that people born this generation aren't unenlightened shitlords hilarious.

POFP

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 20, 2014, 03:20:33 PM
C'mon, man. Colonialism. Total LOLs, amirite?

I would say "yeah." But part of me suspects sarcasm, which I'm known to be bad at.  :lol:
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

People are idiots.

Preach it!

"Traditional values" usually means conservatism, ie. maintaining the status quo, whatever that happens to be.

There can be value in resisting change, because change can have negative consequences. There can be value in conservatism, because it helps prevent the progressives in society from enacting change too rapidly and destabilizing core systems.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Now where is that image thread about Remember the Good Old Days When [insert horrible shit here]?

I could see it coming in very handy for Fernando.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Nephew Twiddleton

People are idiots.

This is brilliant. People are people, regardless of their era and the culture they find themselves in.

It's incredibly freeing, and incredibly condemning all at the same time.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on November 21, 2014, 04:18:18 AM

People are idiots.

This is brilliant. People are people, regardless of their era and the culture they find themselves in.

It's incredibly freeing, and incredibly condemning all at the same time.

Totally.

When I first started looking at history that way everything started to make so much sense. Which, if I remember correctly, was due to one of Cain's comments from a while ago.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A