News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

The Annals Of Improbable Research

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, November 22, 2014, 05:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

In the most charitable light, he has a point; ignorance is not, in itself, morally wrong.  It's simply the lack of knowledge of something. 

Willfully ignorant, on the other hand....

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 24, 2014, 01:30:49 PM
In the most charitable light, he has a point; ignorance is not, in itself, morally wrong.  It's simply the lack of knowledge of something. 

Willfully ignorant, on the other hand....

Who said morally wrong?  He said "bad".  I had the thermostat on my car's engine go bad.  Doesn't mean I feel that it is going to hell.

Not that it could anyway, it is an Asian car (Japanese).
Molon Lube

LMNO

I was trying to rephrase without using the word in question. In the best light, ignorance by itself isn't necessarily bad.  Choosing to remain ignorant is, in my opinion.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My Volvo's brake lights have stopped working, most likely due to a failed relay.

This is bad.

I could either try to fix it, or I could just drive around with no brake lights. Hmmmm, I wonder which would be more productive?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Either could be, depending on how you define "productive."

I mean, if you're trying to produce a nasty car crash, get behind the wheel, sister!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 24, 2014, 03:10:36 PM
Either could be, depending on how you define "productive."

I mean, if you're trying to produce a nasty car crash, get behind the wheel, sister!

POINT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 24, 2014, 03:01:13 PM
In the best light, ignorance by itself isn't necessarily bad.

Spend a day at my place of work.   :kingmeh:
Molon Lube

LMNO

That's a spectacularly effective and convincing argument.

Reginald Ret

Alright, alright. I give in.  :lol:

I'm stealing LMNO's version though: Ignorance is not, in itself, morally wrong.
It allows me to pretend that what I said wasn't wrong.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

It was explained to me today that low-volting a motor won't burn it up, it will just "make it go slower".

I kinda had one of those Mesozoic Nigel grins going on, and the fact that anyone got out alive is a testament to my kind & peaceful nature.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Ok, I'm not an engineer, but even I know that can't possibly be right.

:weary:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 24, 2014, 07:11:13 PM

Lower voltage, amps go up.  Resistance follows amps, heat follows resistance, motor goes crispy.

Ohm's Law, 1st year apprentice shit. 

However, These People didn't do an apprenticeship.  The people in question have 1) chemistry and 2) marketing degrees.  Which means they're smarter and know everything, while we oafs step on our knuckles and make grunting and whistling noises.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 24, 2014, 08:38:56 PM

Lower voltage, amps go up.  Resistance follows amps, heat follows resistance, motor goes crispy.

However, These People didn't do an apprenticeship.  The people in question have 1) chemistry and 2) marketing degrees.  Which means they're smarter and know everything, while we oafs step on our knuckles and make grunting and whistling noises.
I get the impression you don't have a lot of fans there.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on November 24, 2014, 08:55:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 24, 2014, 08:38:56 PM

I get the impression you don't have a lot of fans there.

I hate them and they hate me.  It works for everyone.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 24, 2014, 06:07:31 PM
It was explained to me today that low-volting a motor won't burn it up, it will just "make it go slower".

I kinda had one of those Mesozoic Nigel grins going on, and the fact that anyone got out alive is a testament to my kind & peaceful nature.

Whaaaaat

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: