Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

The Annals Of Improbable Research

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, November 22, 2014, 05:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 25, 2014, 12:11:55 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 24, 2014, 06:07:31 PM
It was explained to me today that low-volting a motor won't burn it up, it will just "make it go slower".

I kinda had one of those Mesozoic Nigel grins going on, and the fact that anyone got out alive is a testament to my kind & peaceful nature.

Whaaaaat

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Which?  The ignorance of my coworkers or your smile?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 25, 2014, 01:01:10 AM
Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 25, 2014, 12:11:55 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 24, 2014, 06:07:31 PM
It was explained to me today that low-volting a motor won't burn it up, it will just "make it go slower".

I kinda had one of those Mesozoic Nigel grins going on, and the fact that anyone got out alive is a testament to my kind & peaceful nature.

Whaaaaat

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Which?  The ignorance of my coworkers or your smile?

Your co-workers.

I rather like the bit about my smile.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

rong

I believe that is true of DC motors...
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on November 25, 2014, 09:39:37 AM
I believe that is true of DC motors...

We don't have a single DC motor in the plant, and my coworkers aren't aware of their existence.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Here's some stuff, Rong:  http://www.electrical4us.com/speed-control-of-dc-motor/

But we don't have those.  We have 3 phase t-frame motors.  Bog standard shit.  A few VFDs, which seem to be causing the confusion, as my colleagues are having trouble distinguishing between voltage and frequency.
Molon Lube

rong

yeah - we have almost exclusively 3 Phase AC motors and use VFD's where speed control is needed.  We do have a few DC motors in some high torque applications, I don't mess with them much, but they are also on drives (albeit not Frequency drives) - I thought they controlled speed by varying the field voltage, but maybe it is field current?  Honestly, as long as the motor does what I tell it to do, I don't really care how the controller gets it done.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on November 25, 2014, 02:21:25 PM
yeah - we have almost exclusively 3 Phase AC motors and use VFD's where speed control is needed.  We do have a few DC motors in some high torque applications, I don't mess with them much, but they are also on drives (albeit not Frequency drives) - I thought they controlled speed by varying the field voltage, but maybe it is field current?  Honestly, as long as the motor does what I tell it to do, I don't really care how the controller gets it done.

The link I posted shows how it's done on DC motors.

An inverter or VFD changes the frequency, which has the same effect but doesn't cause the amps to climb.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 25, 2014, 12:07:06 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret (07/05/1983 - 06/11/2014) on November 24, 2014, 08:55:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 24, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 24, 2014, 07:11:13 PM
Ok, I'm not an engineer, but even I know that can't possibly be right.

:weary:

Lower voltage, amps go up.  Resistance follows amps, heat follows resistance, motor goes crispy.

Ohm's Law, 1st year apprentice shit. 

However, These People didn't do an apprenticeship.  The people in question have 1) chemistry and 2) marketing degrees.  Which means they're smarter and know everything, while we oafs step on our knuckles and make grunting and whistling noises.
I get the impression you don't have a lot of fans there.

I hate them and they hate me.  It works for everyone.   :lulz:
Heh, but I meant the cool kind of fans. The kind that make anything they focus on automatically cooler...
Hint hint, wink wink.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Billiam Poster

Sorry i'm late, did someone say Annal?  :fnord:
Joseph K.: I don't pretend to be a martyr, no.
Hastler: Not even a victim of society?
Joseph K.: I am a member of society.
Hastler: Do you think you can persuade the court that you're not responsible by reason of lunacy?
Joseph K.: I think that's what the court wants me to believe. Yes, that's the conspiracy: to persuade us all that the whole world is crazy, formless, meaningless, absurd. That's the dirty game. So I've lost my case. What of it? You, you're losing too. It's all lost, lost. So what? Does that sentence the entire universe to lunacy?

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube