News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Me and my questions

Started by Outis So-Tsi Gemsirt, November 22, 2014, 08:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outis So-Tsi Gemsirt

Hi everyone

There seem to be a lot of introduction topics around and I have no idea how this all works. I just joined today, so I'll just start my own.
I'm currently the only member of the Emerald Kangaroo Cabal (which I guess makes me the Episkopos).
I've been really interested in Discordianism for some time, I've read the PD and the BIP but there are some things that I can't quite grasp.
I understand that this is in the nature of Discordianism but I have some questions anyway.
Maybe somebody can help me.

• Is Discordianism still that drug-centered? Do you have to be a pothead to qualify as a Disordian?
  • Do Discordians still follow the Principia Discordia? There seem to have been some side remarks in BIP - Common Walls.
  • Do Discordians still worship Eris as a goddess? Do they worship Eris as a personification of Chaos?
I hope someone here can help me and look forward to becoming a true Discordian.

Outis So-Tsi Trismegistos The Doubtful
If this happened to make sense, I sincerely apologize. That was not my intention.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As the old saw goes, ask any five Discordians a question and you'll get seven answers.

I personally don't think anyone can show you how to become a "true Discordian". I don't even believe in the bastards. I'd be happy to talk about stuff with you, though, and answer questions to the best of my ability.

• Discordianism might still be "that" drug-centered. I'm not sure how drug-centered you're thinking, but I'm pretty sure some Discordans use drugs to some extent or other. No, you don't have to be a pothead to be a Discordian, that's silly.
  • "Follow" is probably not the right word. "Occasionally read and try to appreciate", sure. Some Discordians even write their own scripture, as you noticed.
  • Some Discordians worship Eris as a goddess. Some worship her as as a personification of Chaos. Some think it's a bad idea to worship Eris at all, because it might attract her attention. Some consider Eris an archetype representing natural processes in the universe; the balance of entropy and emergence personified. There are other options, as well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Outis So-Tsi Gemsirt

Thanks a lot for answering.
I think I've just got this weird appreciation of Discordian philosophy but at the same time an extreme desire for a neat explanation of it, which I guess isn't really the idea.
I think I think I like Discordianism but I'm not yet really feeling it. So right now I'm just trying to expose myself to it and hope it rubs off.
Maybe you could give me one or two tips about how this forum works too?
For example, in a situation like this, would a PM have been more appropriate? And what are these different boards actually about?
The Richard Nixon Presents: Alaska?
If this happened to make sense, I sincerely apologize. That was not my intention.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Outis So-Tsi Gemsirt on November 22, 2014, 09:19:21 PM
I think I've just got this weird appreciation of Discordian philosophy but at the same time an extreme desire for a neat explanation of it, which I guess isn't really the idea.
I think I think I like Discordianism but I'm not yet really feeling it. So right now I'm just trying to expose myself to it and hope it rubs off.
For example, in a situation like this, would a PM have been more appropriate? And what are these different boards actually about?

Posting it was perfectly appropriate. The best thing I can really suggest is to poke around and try  to get a feel for the topics that are posted and the conversations that ensue. A lot of the board titles are based on topics of conversation, ie. in-jokes, and are ever-evolving.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sorry for the short answer, I'd take more time with it but I'm supposed to be doing homework right now.  :lulz:

Q. G. Pennyworth

this is the section of the board for anything and everything, other stuff is a little more defined.

Also there are cookies, but you can't have any, the pool's on the roof, etc.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Outis So-Tsi Gemsirt on November 22, 2014, 08:31:04 PM

• Is Discordianism still that drug-centered? Do you have to be a pothead to qualify as a Disordian?
  • Do Discordians still follow the Principia Discordia? There seem to have been some side remarks in BIP - Common Walls.
  • Do Discordians still worship Eris as a goddess? Do they worship Eris as a personification of Chaos?

1.  Depends on who you ask.  Around here, not so much.

2.  No.  We all own a copy, but nobody READS the fucking thing.

3.  No.  Maybe.

We're not True Discordians™.  Not sure if we can help.
Molon Lube

Faust

Periodically The Richard Nixon school of Ballet and the arts puts on a presentation of amateur dramatics, Alaska was his last production.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Reginald Ret

Since Nigel is busy I will try.

The desire for a neat explanation is great! Thinking you have found the neat explanation isn't though, it is a case of the journey being more important than the destination. This is especially true here, because the destination is worth striving for yet unreachable, the only people who think they reached it are delusional. And not in a fun way. More in a digging their heels in the sand and screeching way.

It is a good thing this is the internet because in public exposing yourself and hoping something rubs you in any way is frowned upon.

Forums are a form of passive communication...
  Looking up the term I find that apparently I am the only one who uses this definition so I will explain it with examples. Passive communication is a post-it on the refrigerator (or an email, but that image is boring.), you can read it at your own time and reply when (and if) you feel like it. Not immediately responding to passive communication is usually acceptable.
  Active communication is a phone call(or poking someone in the eyeshoulder), it is very intrusive and especially annoying when you are busy with something that requires your full attention. (can you tell I don't like phonecalls?) Not responding to active communication is a snub, but I am OK with that.
  OK, now that we can use the same definitions: Forums are a form of passive communication. This one is no exception.
Anything you want to talk about can be posted in the relevant board, I will explain some of the ones that have unclear descriptions:
- The Richard Nixon school of ballet and the arts keeps changing it's name, it used to be called Apple Talk. It is the most active board and not specifically about any subject. Wanna whine about your rough day? do it there. The Open Bar thread is usually the place for that. Want to show this cool and silly thing you found? do it there. Anything and everything is acceptable there (except for blatantly illegal things, we want Faust the board-owner to stay out of jail.
- Or Kill Me is the ranting board. Is there something you really really HATE?! yell some profanity about that subject and sign off with the board's title (if you want, it's not mandatory or even common)
- The Peanut Gallery is used to collect threads by some of the better trolls we get here. It can be quite entertaining and educational to read.
The rest, I believe, have a clear enough description but if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

PM's are like whispering at a party, they are for private conversations.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Hi, new person!

Most of us here think that everyone has their own Discordia.  As it says in the Chao te Ching:

Quote from: Chapter 41
Some hear about Discordia, and plot against the Machine™.
Some hear about Discordia, and think about it at great length.
Some hear about Discordia, and decide it means they should get high and doodle.
If it weren't for those spags, Discordia wouldn't be as interesting as it is.

So, the answer to your questions are, "some do".  Personally,

No, No, Parts of it, No, No.

Hope that helps.  Welcome!

Cain

Answers for "Discordianism on Facebook" and "Discordianism on PD" are given below.

FB Discordianism:  Yes, yes, yes but only literally, yes and yes.

PD:  no, no, maybe, maybe maybe.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 23, 2014, 12:08:11 AM

I don't.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Hello Waffles on November 24, 2014, 04:18:40 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 23, 2014, 12:08:11 AM

I don't.
Well of course you don't read it! It hasn't been translated to runes yet!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO