News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

Introduction/Flaxscript Idea

Started by Zombo Scott, November 23, 2014, 08:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombo Scott

Hello long time on and off again PD lurker here.
I have haven't posted until now because wanted to get a sense of the community before sharing my thought and also I wanted to have something to contribute to the community.  First I want to thank the members who keep the lights on here and the people who try to make this a place that is open to free exchange of idea.

I'm just going to jump right on in to the sales pitch.  As most here know Flaxscript is a riff Emperor Norton I printing his own money.  Looking at Greg Hills records it was only exchanged between a handful of people. The Idea of alternative currency is nothing new. In fact several community around the world use successfully use Time based currency.

this is part of an article from Wikipedia on Time Banking.    "As a philosophy, time banking also known as Time Trade[33] is founded upon five principles, known as Time Banking's Core Values:[34]
Everyone is an asset
Some work is beyond a monetary price
Reciprocity in helping
Social networks are necessary
A respect for all human beings
Ideally, time banking builds community. Time Bank members sometimes refer to this as a return to simpler times when the community was there for its individuals. An interview at a time bank in the Gorbals neighborhood of Glasgow revealed the following sentiment:
[the time bank] involves everybody coming together as a community . . . the Gorbals has never—not for a long time—had a lot of community spirit. Way back, years ago, it had a lot of community spirit, but now you see that in some areas, people won't even go to the chap next door for a some sugar . . . that's what I think the project's doing, trying to bring that back, that community sense".

Here is where my idea differs from traditional time banking. I think that like original Flaxscript and unlike traditional Time banking it should be decentralized(every person is there own Treasury). A person could print as much Flaxscript as they need  and it will not cause inflation. basically A ton of Flax would equal one hour of work. when some one puts their Flaxscript  into circulation they are making a non binding commitment that is backed by their integrity.

I think that this would help foster a greater sense of community and could be a new evangelical tool.  If anyone is interested in this project please comment below. I have more details that I'll post later but I wanted to get some feedback first.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like the idea of barter currency.

That said, most modern currencies are  barter currncies. many places have tried to implement a barter currency. It sometimes works for a while. Have you looked into these?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Zombo Scott

You are right. Most if not all modern currency(except for cryptocurrencys such as bitcoin which is a ponzi scheme) are a form of barter.  Informal barter differs from legal tender on a few key points.  (1) It is not legally binding. (2) It is not backed by armed force. (3)It is generally non taxable.

Where most barter system fail is that (a) They are a misguided attempt at tax evasion or (b) They are centralized and dependent on a few paid or voluntary staff to maintain records.

A company I worked for was a member of the former type of barter system. They ended up wasting a ton of money.  Not only did they have to pay dues in the form of legal tender to the exchange broker in order to keep their accounts active, (or loose all barter dollars in the account) they had to pay more then what they normally would pay from other vendors in the system for services.

As for the latter type, an example I saw when doing research was a somewhat local one that was working quite well and had over 75,000 hours of services traded. Unfortunately when the trust that operated it changed hands it went under.  There are a few Time Bank type barter networks in my state that are active but non of them are in my area.

I think that a small Time barter network would be feasible in a setting like this web forum.
Each person who opts in would post some basic contact information like a Email and what city they live (if the services they are willing to preform require proximity).  Members would post what service they are willing to exchange.

example : Judge Cookie Schizoid wants to make a video Gulkmas greeting card. She looks on the list and sees that Saint Oddball Poot posted that one of his services he is willing to exchange is video editing.  She exchanges a few emails with Saint Oddball Poot and an agreement is made.

Judge Cookie Schizoid will exchange 2 one ton of flax notes to Saint Oddball Poot for his assistance. Judge Cookie Schizoid ether mails or sends a E-mail of the notes(per agreement) and post the exchange on the board. Judge Cookie Schizoid is now obliged by good faith agreement to preform one of here services she has listed that she is willing to exchange to the bearer of the note. As bearer of Judge Cookie Schizoid note he could exchange it for one of Judge Cookie Schizoid's services at a later date or exchange it with someone else who is not necessarily currently a member of the forum.

I have a mock up of one of the Flaxscripts that I made. I can post it to show some key features that I think should be present on everyone's Notes. as soon as I figure out how to link images on this board. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ah, so more like in-game currency.

That seems to work well in online environments with a large, stable userbase. This board is probably quite a bit too small for it to work on, as there are only a dozen or so frequent posters and most of us have known each other for many years. In fact, QG Pennyworth is baking everyone holiday cookies right now. Her salty balls are beyond amazing, FYI.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Shit yeah cookies!

Nigel, you did not get yourself on the list this time around. I have some extra boxes and I've barely started the baking, though, so let me know if you want in.

Zombo Scott

Well shit :cry: I wish I would have posted sooner. I suppose it would be a bit too forward to ask to tast some of QG Pennyworth's salty balls now.

But yea, In game currency would be a good way of looking at it because Discordianism can easily be looked at as a LARP by some.  Now I am fixated on Pennyworth's salty balls but that would make a perfect scenario to implement Flaxscript. She has a skill that she is willing to share with the community.  Suppose she would be willing to trade her salty balls for Flaxscript and perhaps some money to cover cost of materials and shipping. She could then use the note to call in a favor or even place it in a book at a library for some random person to find.  I think Cramulus may like to use it for the latter prosperous. I have seen In the past where he likes to put up posters directing people to this site.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 23, 2014, 07:54:28 PM
Shit yeah cookies!

Nigel, you did not get yourself on the list this time around. I have some extra boxes and I've barely started the baking, though, so let me know if you want in.

Oh, shit,  my head's been up my ass with homework. Yes please! Do you need me to PM you my address again?

Zombo Scott

what image hosting site do yall use. Photobucket does not seem to work on this forum.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Zombo Scott

thanks.

[img=http://s29.postimg.org/ydvqm1wo3/flaxscript2.jpg]

this is the mock up of what I have been thinking about using for my Flaxscrip. using the format of indigenous currency triggers a Pavlovian response and will cause people to pick it and examine it when they see it. However I think it should be up to the individual what their design looks like so long as it has some basic information and is eye catchy.  What do you think?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Reginald Ret

I like the idea and the design, though it is a bit discordian-specific.
The main reason I think that is a flaw is because I dream of a world where everyone uses more than 1 kind of currency, allowing a cultureshift that would allow society to step away from making money necessary fro survival.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Zombo Scott

As far as the design goes, the theme of your dollar could be whatever you want (it doesn't have to be the same as anyone else's)as long as it share some of the same information. Like on the back there should be a statement that explains what a time dollar is and what it can be used for, the number of hour units it is good for, the name of and a way to contact the signatory and the web address where a list is compiled of the participants in the program.

Doktor Howl

All I know is I finally got some regular dollars and I want a chance to roll around in them a bit before you bastards change everything.

:argh!:
Molon Lube

Zombo Scott

Well, I have no dollars so that is why I'll be printing my own.  Now it's just a matter of getting an new ink cartridge and seeing how many rubes I can find. :wink: